DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing your motorola "M" boot logo tutorial

1. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoCache1 View Post
    Actually, Moto Droid is 100% correct. You only need to flash CG42 if you only want to replace the bootloader image. Flashing anything else (much less everything else) is completely unnecessary.
    I just figured it was one of those times where it just seemed like it was too easy to be true. But that's good to know. Saves a heck of a lot of time and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharmon12 View Post
    So what do you do just recompile the SBF with only the cg42 file in it?
    You should be able to click the remove button for each of the other files in SBFCodec to just remove them.
    I'm gonna try it as soon as I fix my problem where my phone won't reboot into either recovery mode. Makes it just a bit more difficult to change these. LOL

2. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Ok, just tried flashing only the CG42 file and I'm still showing the same boot logo I had before. It gave me the same FAILED message I always get flashing them, but for some reason nothing changed. This was for the Android Peeing On Apple (name changed to pass censor) image posted by FastKatt.

I'm going to play around with it a few more times and see if maybe it wasn't the image. The file size was way off what I normally get when editing them and usually I can get to the "ff" near the end of the SBF and delete everything else. This time I had to dig a few bits into that to get the file size right. Maybe I'll try it using one of the older files first.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    FastKatt
    Phone
    Rooted RazrMaxx
    FWIW, my file was still a jpg
    I started to work with it, till I found the 2nd write-up & the possibility of a shorter way
    Me: Motorola Droid RazrMaxx - Rooted
    Wife: Samsung Galaxy Note2 - Stock
    Son: Motorola Droid 4 - Rooted
    Daughter: Motorola Droid Bionic - Rooted
    Spare Rooted Phones: LG Vortex & 3 Droid 1s
  4. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastKatt View Post
    I started to work with it, till I found the 2nd write-up & the possibility of a shorter way
    Oh, I converted everything to a bmp-24 file. Just that some of the numbers weren't coming up the same in more than just the image file. I'm going to keep trying and see what I can figure out.

On another note, I had another suggestion to keep the RDL3 part of the sbf in there as well. I'm going to try that and see what happens...

5. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FastKatt View Post
    Oh, I converted everything to a bmp-24 file. Just that some of the numbers weren't coming up the same in more than just the image file. I'm going to keep trying and see what I can figure out.

On another note, I had another suggestion to keep the RDL3 part of the sbf in there as well. I'm going to try that and see what happens...
    It's probably easiest and safest if you start with one of the "bootloader image only" SBF's in my topic and just replace CG42 in that. Yes, you need to have the right RAM downloader in your SBF for it to work (which in this case is RDL3, but it's not always RDL3). Not everything in the SBF is a CG that gets written to the phone. Some of the files are code used in the flashing process, and others are data that defines the CG's, etc. It is much safer to start with an SBF that is made by someone who completely understands the internals, and then just replace a CG, than to take things out and add them in by trial and error. That's why I created the SBF's in that topic -- to give the community a properly built, regression tested, "bootloader image only" SBF to modify and work with. I also have an SBF in there to put your boot image back to stock (without overwriting anything else).

Also, if you want to avoid getting "failed" at the end, be sure to check out steps 8, 9, and 10 of my SBF flashing guide. You won't get "pass", ever, if you don't do those steps.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 09-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    ok i tried downloading the boot screen only sbf and doing my own custom boot logo with it. I have tried several times and got critical errors with it. when i flashed the stock logo back to it it fixed it. So thinking that it was my smg file i stuck in in the full restore sbf and it worked. What did i do wrong? I have done several boot logos before and would like to get this to work for me. One time i went to reprogram my phone after flashing one and verizon wouldnt reactivate my phone so i had to go all day with out it. Could it be that i was modifying the stock sbf and not one that was already modded? attached is the sbf file i was using
    Attached Files
    Moto Droid <--Best Phone Ever Made)
    TUD 1.0 Rom
    Slayher's 1.2 ghz
    Check This Out To Change Your Boot Logo (The M) <--- Warning this will put your phone back to 2.0.1 And Is For Educational And Proof of Concept Purposes Only!!

If you want a quick fix Check out Shibby's Boot Logo Generator.

If You Like My Work And Wanna Buy Me A Beer (I Like Guinness) PM me!
  7. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    ok i tried downloading the boot screen only sbf and doing my own custom boot logo with it. I have tried several times and got critical errors with it. when i flashed the stock logo back to it it fixed it. So thinking that it was my smg file i stuck in in the full restore sbf and it worked. What did i do wrong? I have done several boot logos before and would like to get this to work for me. One time i went to reprogram my phone after flashing one and verizon wouldnt reactivate my phone so i had to go all day with out it. Could it be that i was modifying the stock sbf and not one that was already modded? attached is the sbf file i was using
    Grabbing and taking a look...
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

8. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Grabbing and taking a look...
    OK, I disassembled your SBF, and looked at your CG42 file. It's the right length and has the 64 byte pad at the end which is that should have mattered. I recompiled the SBF and then compared them. Mine and yours are not the same. There should be minor differences due to the embedded date stamp being different, but I can't say for sure if all the differences are right or not. I'm going to flash on my recompiled one first, and then yours and see how it goes. Back with you soon.

9. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    OK, I disassembled your SBF, and looked at your CG42 file. It's the right length and has the 64 byte pad at the end which is that should have mattered. I recompiled the SBF and then compared them. Mine and yours are not the same. There should be minor differences due to the embedded date stamp being different, but I can't say for sure if all the differences are right or not. I'm going to flash on my recompiled one first, and then yours and see how it goes. Back with you soon.
    Hahaha - that's awesome. I love your Monster logo. Personally I'm a Moster Low Carb (blue logo) fan, but still. OK, that was my recompile of your exploded SBF (which obviously went fine). Now let me try to flash your original SBF and see what happens.

10. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Hahaha - that's awesome. I love your Monster logo. Personally I'm a Moster Low Carb (blue logo) fan, but still. OK, that was my recompile of your exploded SBF (which obviously went fine). Now let me try to flash your original SBF and see what happens.
    Yah - no go. What tool are you using to compile your SBF? Whatever it is it's not recalculating the checksum value on your CG42 (the one you're replacing). When I was looking at your SBF in the hex editor I was pretty sure the that some of the byte pairs that differed were the checksums. Your SBF has a checksum of 0x7C87 for CG42, but the correct checksum is 0x18BB. Some tools you have to manually fix the checksums in the file yourself with a hex editor by using the error output in RSD Lite as a guide. If you can give me a link to download whatever tool you're using (if I don't already have it somewhere) I can check it out and let you know. In the meantime, here's your file rebuilt in a working state.

I'm getting ready to head to bed (after 2am here), but I'll check the topic in the a.m. to find out what tool you're using and get back to you.
    Attached Files

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Links