DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help?! Terrified of bricking my Droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Red face Help?! Terrified of bricking my Droid

I have had my Droid running 2.1-update 1 for about 3 months now, and after reading up on all the benefits and customization options of a rooted phone, I have decided to go for it. Using the instructions found on Droid-life.com, I now have the SPRecovery installed successfully. Step 2 indicates that after backing up all files, proceed to installing a rooted ROM. My question is, how do I make sure all my files are backed up successfully? I installed Astro File manager and backed up all my apps, which isn't that big of a deal because I can always re-download apps, since I don't have too many yet anyway. My worry is doing something wrong during the process and not having use of my phone at all. Is there a backup that I can use to store every file of my phone to my computer, so that I can restore to factory default if need be? I'm completely new to this, and not very tech-savvy, so a lot of the terms i'm not in complete understanding of. Basically, what I'm asking is for someone to help walk me through step by step from a non-rooted, stock droid firmware version 2.1-update 1 to a rooted, preferably 2.2 version. I have viewed videos & read instructions, but still not in complete understanding. Thanks to anyone that can help!!

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    explamphibian
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    There are multiple guides that walk you through rooting. If you have looked here and not seen anything to your liking. Try androidforums.com in the droid-rooted section. There is a sticky with the full instructions.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Home of the Free Because of the Brave
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    You got Sprecovery installed, and ran the back up. From here its easy as pie - just select which rom you want to run and flash it. Do you have an idea of which one you want to run?

I wouldn't worry about hurting your phone too much, sure its a possibility, but in all that is likely, you wont hurt it enough that someone here can't help you fix it. Chance are, you'll flash the rom, it'll go smooth and you wont run into any problems at all.
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    The link in my signature is a step-by-step guide to rooting and if need be unrooting. Its pretty easy to follow. If you need specific help, let us know and we will be happy to help you.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Go to Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog and watch the videos they have for rooting and installing custom roms. They help sooo much with the guy explaining the process and letting you know what/why your doing certain things an its a nice visual aid.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks guys for all your help! I took the plunge and now I am a rooted droid user, running version 2.2. Now what? lol
  8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Decide what rom you would like to install and flash/install. Go to the forum tab and scroll down to custom roms. Installing a rom is a personal preference but some popular roms are: Succulent Desire, Sapphire, Bugless Beast, Simply Stunning.

Hope this helps. If you have questions post and the community will assist.

Here is a current threat http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...need-help.html that may provide some insight. Start at the 9 box.
    Mike
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by jadensmama View Post
    Thanks guys for all your help! I took the plunge and now I am a rooted droid user, running version 2.2. Now what? lol
    Install Titanium Backup and ROM Manager. :-)

May as well give adobe flash a try since you're in the land of frozen yogurt now.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I was trying to download flash, but I can't find it in the market. Also tried downloaded directly from Adobe site, still nothing. Where can I find it?
  11. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links