DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooted X will not broadcast SSID with Wireless Tether or Barnical

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

Rooted X will not broadcast SSID with Wireless Tether or Barnical

Hi all. I have a rooted Droid X and for some reason, Wireless Tether or Barnical will not work. I cannot see the SSID from my Windows 7, XP, or Mac OS devices. I've read some things on this forum that Locale plays into the so I uninstalled Local (and all of its plugins) but to no avail.

I'm at a complete loss here. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Hi all. I have a rooted Droid X and for some reason, Wireless Tether or Barnical will not work. I cannot see the SSID from my Windows 7, XP, or Mac OS devices. I've read some things on this forum that Locale plays into the so I uninstalled Local (and all of its plugins) but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe try changing your settings in wireless tether. Change your channel and your LAN settings. Try enabling the security. Just an idea..
    Had to do that to get connected to vista with my Droid.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkev843 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe try changing your settings in wireless tether. Change your channel and your LAN settings. Try enabling the security. Just an idea..
    Had to do that to get connected to vista with my Droid.
    Thanks for the tips. I've unfortunately tried then already to no avail. There must be some sort of app stopping me. I'm considering unrooting and restoring back to factory settings, then rooting again to get this to work. Once I get it to work, I'll reinstall the apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. When I first got my X, I launched and configured the base 3G Tether app that came with the phone and got it to broadcast SSID and connected my laptop to it. I was immediately brought to a VZW page to sign up for the $20/mo tethering plan, to which I did not do.

Now, I'm wondering if this did anything to some files on my X that is not allowing the Wireless Tether App for Root not to work properly.

Any thoughts on this? I'm really considering doing a factory reset (reroot if i lose root by doing so) and reinstalling Wireless Tether.

Thanks.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    So after the factory reset, I still have the same problem. Wifi Tether and Barnacle still will not show up as broadcasting the SSID. Sigh
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w. Innocase Surface
    wireless tether broadcasts as an ad-hoc network. Make sure your computer is configured to view them as well as regular wireless networks.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    Quote Originally Posted by Champers View Post
    wireless tether broadcasts as an ad-hoc network. Make sure your computer is configured to view them as well as regular wireless networks.
    Thanks for the tip. I know it broadcasts as an ad-hoc network but I didn't know that there was something to 'configure' in Win7, XP, or Mac OS to view them. Can you please explain how? Thanks again.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx

Thanks in advance.
    This is posted right at the top of the Barnacle homepage.....

Supported hardware

Most up-to-date info is available on the wiki

Compatible with Windows (XP/Vista/7), Mac, Linux, even iPod/iPhone/iPad and Xbox!
    Developed and tested on Motorola Droid, and Nexus One.
    On Motorola Droid with Froyo (2.2), the wireless driver no longer properly supports ad-hoc mode -- enable Skip wpa_supplicant to fix it (but no WEP).
    Confirmed to also work on Droid X, Motorola Milestone, G1, myTouch, Acer Liquid (1.6), Sony X10 and LG Eve (1.6) and LG Ally.
    It's known that HTC Hero/Droid Eris phones don't work well with Barnacle at this time.
    For Samsung Moment you need custom wireless firmware. For Samsung Vibrant you need to adjust MTU.
    See FAQ or Troubleshooting for more information.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    This helped me when I was having the same issue. Although I have a Motorola Droid as opposed to a Droid X, this might help. I had the app, "Y5" running on my Droid. It works well, but for some reason conflicted with the ability of my PC to connect over my wi-fi connection. Hope this helps.

Links