DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: ROOT help for long time regular OS user

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsun Galaxy S3

ROOT help for long time regular OS user

FINALLY figured I'd give rooting my droid a shot.. after a full year I was always hesitant to using my droid to its fullest potential ...(I know...)

So obviously my droid is full of apps, replacement home, themes etc etc - and I was hoping for help with what I should do before starting my root.

Is there anything (alot of stuff) I need to uninstall or get off my sd and hard drive before I should perform my root?

I plan on following the How-to: Install bugless beast for noobs! guideline and the Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid guideline...

Any additional info before I experiment tonight would be greatly appreciated- thanks

mikeL
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by leclair0016 View Post
    FINALLY figured I'd give rooting my droid a shot.. after a full year I was always hesitant to using my droid to its fullest potential ...(I know...)

So obviously my droid is full of apps, replacement home, themes etc etc - and I was hoping for help with what I should do before starting my root.

Is there anything (alot of stuff) I need to uninstall or get off my sd and hard drive before I should perform my root?

I plan on following the How-to: Install bugless beast for noobs! guideline and the Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid guideline...

Any additional info before I experiment tonight would be greatly appreciated- thanks

mikeL
    Make sure you back up all your apps.

create a nandroid back up.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Your link didn't display. There are some older guides and some newer ones out there. There is a good right up on post 13 of the first link in my signature. Do the first part there to get SPRecovery installed then if you want BB go to one of those install threads and install that rom instead of the Froyo stock one.

And I agree, make a backup after getting Sprecovery.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by leclair0016 View Post

mikeL
    if you are running a homereplacement app make sure you do a backup of your homescreens. i know launcher pro and adw both allow this. that way you don't have to resetup your homescreen.

If you are coming from froyo, your apps *should* auto reinstall.
    If you are not, download chevy's bkapps program. then install chevy's simplystunning rom and it will allow you to use rstapps to put them all back. be sure you skip the google sign in if you use rst apps.

I have used simply stunning and cyanogen 6. I currently prefer cyan but simply stunning is slightly more stable. Also, since simply stunning and cyan are both froyo based, if you decide to switch to cyan you apps will auto redownload.

Links