DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..little help here?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

..little help here?

Hey you DROIDs, (specifically you ROM fiends)

Questions;

When flashing a new ROM, what method are you using to BU and restore?

I have Titanium Backup but I don't know if it's best to have it just restore apps or app + data and settings. I would imagine that some data might not be compatible with a different ROM.

Also, my last ROM installed most of my apps to my SD card (SWEET!) but if I let the market reinstall will it double them up?

A couple of times I ran out of memory trying to restore apps and having them not go to the SD.

Lastly, every ROM you try do you reset up your accounts i.e. Pandora, email (POP), WIFI settings etc.? That takes a long time, not to mention rebuilding your home screens.

I would really love to know how you chronic ROMmers handle these issues.

Thanks so much for your replies.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".-Arthur C. Clarke

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Titanium back up will save you the time with setting accounts/apps up again, I use that. Sometimes I let the market reinstall my apps, and no you won't end up with two of them.

Sometimes I use TB to restore an app and other times the market. It depends what it is. Because you have them backed up you can restore app and data and if you don't like it uninstall and then restore just the app. I've also restored just the data when the market has gone and reinstalled it for me too. I also do an advanced nandroid backup prior to applying any theme, rom, or kernel.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    Titanium back up will save you the time with setting accounts/apps up again, I use that. Sometimes I let the market reinstall my apps, and no you won't end up with two of them.

Sometimes I use TB to restore an app and other times the market. It depends what it is. Because you have them backed up you can restore app and data and if you don't like it uninstall and then restore just the app. I've also restored just the data when the market has gone and reinstalled it for me too. I also do an advanced nandroid backup prior to applying any theme, rom, or kernel.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

What do you select for Tianium to Back Up? Back Up all user apps and system data? What system data do you look to restore with a new ROM?

Sorry for all the ?? but I have flashed 4 or 5 ROM's and it has been a PITA to get everything reinstalled and set-up.

btw, I have about 150 apps. (if that makes a difference)
    Last edited by Lars1; 07-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".-Arthur C. Clarke
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Phone
    Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I have to reply just to lol at hey you DROIDS. lol classic, that is if it was a Goonies pun.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    'Twasn't.

Please enlighten.
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Phone
    Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
    'Twasn't.

Please enlighten.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ahhh. Great flick.
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Last time I counted the rows in my app drawer the total was around 120, close enough

menukey-batch-backup all user apps+system data
    restore all apps with data

I've used "delete all backups for uninstalled data" once

I had problems with some apps when I first moved to froyo and found I was better off regrabbing those from the market. I think eventually you realize which ones have data you want. I went to use Shazam the other day and realized I had no tags so I must not have added its data back in. A merge data with existing data option might be nice, for something like that.

I've also gone through the list and hand picked which apps I wanted restored, not choosing any apps I haven't used in a while.

33 rows x 4 apps in each row. I've gained a couple again!
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Well i've flashed multiple roms and my restore of my backup of data only in nandroid (saves ALL my apps/bookmarks/signin info on all websites/custom colors, etc) hasn't failed yet.

I've actually got rid of titanium and mybackuppro
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinacakes View Post
    Well i've flashed multiple roms and my restore of my backup of data only in nandroid (saves ALL my apps/bookmarks/signin info on all websites/custom colors, etc) hasn't failed yet.

I've actually got rid of titanium and mybackuppro
    You are referring to backing up an entire ROM, data and all, for restoration purposes, yes?

I am confused by how to integrate apps and data into a freshly installed new ROM, specifically when it comes to the apps on the SD card.

Example. Last night I did a clean (wipe data and cache) install of UD4.0. Prior to, I had Titanium backup all my apps & data.

In my previous version, 3.5, I had moved most apps to my SD, into an "Android Secure" folder I believe. I had about 40 MB of space left on the phone.

After I had flashed, I went to the market, got Titanium, and ran a batch restore of apps and data.

Before it was even 50% completed, the phone rebooted and came back with a low memory error. It was putting everything back on the phone.

I have tried allowing the market to do the reinstall, and then moving them over, but I already have most of the apps still on my SD so I don't need 2 copies right? Then there is the user data and settings issue.

I can't tell what data I should and shouldn't restore with a fresh ROM. Is some data specific to the previous ROM and possibly not play nice with the new ROM?

I am sorry for the long (and boring) post but I am still quite confused.

Thanks all,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links