DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooting question

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1

Rooting question

I'm still on the fence about rooting my brand new baby and accidentally losing it or dropping it and having Motorola tell me to get over it.

I know that rooting your phone voids your warranty and quite possibly can violate your carrier's TOS. As such, I have 3 questions for you guys:

1) What is Verizon's stance on rooting? I know Google couldn't care less, but Verizon is another story.
    2) If I revert my phone to it's original OS, is there a toggle or something in there that Motorola could see and tip them off that I rooted it? Again, I really don't want to screw this thing up and lose my phone forever.
    3) What kind of speed increase are we talking here? I've heard everything from negligible to OH MY GOOOOOOOOD fast.

Thank you guys in advance!

Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I don't know the specifics of your questions but I can say that I just rooted my phone. I bought it yesterday and rooted it today. There are a couple GOOD guides out there (a BUNCH of old guides that aren't useful) that give you step by step directions with video.

I upgraded to Android v2.2 and I like the layout MUCH better than v2.1. With v2.2 I am now able to play flash which is a HUGE plus to me. Add, the ability to tether and I'm a happy camper.

In the future I plan on learning enough to overclock and customize the looks. IMO, having v2.2 looks, flash, and tether is more than enough reason to root.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Official_n00b View Post
    I don't know the specifics of your questions but I can say that I just rooted my phone. I bought it yesterday and rooted it today. There are a couple GOOD guides out there (a BUNCH of old guides that aren't useful) that give you step by step directions with video.

I upgraded to Android v2.2 and I like the layout MUCH better than v2.1. With v2.2 I am now able to play flash which is a HUGE plus to me. Add, the ability to tether and I'm a happy camper.

In the future I plan on learning enough to overclock and customize the looks. IMO, having v2.2 looks, flash, and tether is more than enough reason to root.
    Sounds nice, but I'd rather have a locked phone than no phone. Until someone tells me that it's 100% safe, I'm not going to do it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 Motorola Droids
    SBF to root and to unroot

That link will get you doing everything you need to do.
    1. Verizon won't know unless you tell them. If you ever have a problem and need to take/mail it in, unroot.
    2. As you can see from 1 yes you can unroot to factory default with ease.
    3. Droid is 500Mhz, people clock to 1.25Ghz all the time with no problem.

I hope this helps you decide to root!
    Android keeps going, and going.....
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChugIt View Post
    SBF to root and to unroot

That link will get you doing everything you need to do.
    1. Verizon won't know unless you tell them. If you ever have a problem and need to take/mail it in, unroot.
    2. As you can see from 1 yes you can unroot to factory default with ease.
    3. Droid is 500Mhz, people clock to 1.25Ghz all the time with no problem.

I hope this helps you decide to root!
    Is there a way to unroot it if I can't see the screen or the phone isn't exactly operational? I know that if my phone outright bricks, they'll just send me a new one no questions asked, but I'm worried about the screen cracking.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 Motorola Droids
    If the phone gets cracked it aint covered in your warranty. You'd have to buy a new phone and they'd never see your old one anyways because they won't replace it. Rooting and unrooting is VERY simple using that guide, I promise.

P.S. Don't break the Droid! heh
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChugIt View Post
    If the phone gets cracked it aint covered in your warranty. You'd have to buy a new phone and they'd never see your old one anyways because they won't replace it. Rooting and unrooting is VERY simple using that guide, I promise.

P.S. Don't break the Droid! heh
    Sounds good! As long as there's no way for me to get busted here, I'm in.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 Motorola Droids
    You can't get "busted". It isn't illegal to root your Droid. It is technically against the warranty policy, but you can always unroot in emergencies. There's plenty of people around here that have seen everything and can fix 99% of any problem you would happen to have. You'll be fine bro, NOW GO ROOT! LoL
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    Quick question before I go any further.

I've rooted my phone to a stock 2.1. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go to an older version of CyanogenMod and stick with 2.1 or if I should bite the bullet and go with one of the many Froyo builds.

So, with that said:
    1) Are there any negatives to upgrading to Froyo, aside from the few dead apps?
    2) If I do upgrade to Froyo, should I go with CyanogenMod 6 RC1 or another install?
  11. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I've flashed several Froyo roms without any issues. My phone runs very fast and I'm glad I made the move to 2.2

Mike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links