DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: super noob, with another question

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

super noob, with another question

how are ya'll doing screen shots of your phone?

AND, i know this is more of an OPINION, but would you:

-stick with ROOTED 2.0.1 or 2.1

OR

-wait for 2.2 FROYO OTA update

can you please state your pros and cons. i am wanting to ROOT my phone, but i've never done something like this before, so i don't want to brick my phone...unless someone out there wants to do it for me--in the Houston, TX area. Thanks!

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use DroCap2 to take screenshots of my phone.

I'd stick with rooted 2.01 or 2.1. And if you're rooted, why don't you update to 2.2?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    well i'm not either...i'm just stock 2.1update1. just wondering if i should wait for the OTA froyo update or go ahead and root my 2.1 to 2.2.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    also, is DroCap2 an app in the market? sorry for all the questions...but thanks.
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Rooting your phone is a personal choice and imo not be made lightly. There are pros and cons to rooting. I, of course, am rooted but it took me several months of reading and learning my droid stock before taking that leap. We have no idea when Verizon is going to push 2.2 out to the droids. Therefore if you are wanting all the options of 2.2 then yes root and put a 2.2 rom on your phone. When you root you do not have to go back to 2.0.1 and then root, you can gain root access from 2.1 (see my link in my signature for step by step instructions).

What ever you decide you should be the one that roots your phone. There are a lot of people here to help you if you should get stuck but really by you doing the work, you will learn a lot and understand what is going on should you decide to flash another rom or something goes wrong.

just my 2 cents!!!!!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dlwhtrose View Post
    Rooting your phone is a personal choice and imo not be made lightly. There are pros and cons to rooting. I, of course, am rooted but it took me several months of reading and learning my droid stock before taking that leap. We have no idea when Verizon is going to push 2.2 out to the droids. Therefore if you are wanting all the options of 2.2 then yes root and put a 2.2 rom on your phone. When you root you do not have to go back to 2.0.1 and then root, you can gain root access from 2.1 (see my link in my signature for step by step instructions).

What ever you decide you should be the one that roots your phone. There are a lot of people here to help you if you should get stuck but really by you doing the work, you will learn a lot and understand what is going on should you decide to flash another rom or something goes wrong.

just my 2 cents!!!!!

thanks, for that. anything in particular that you read that made you decide rooting was for you? i mean, i'm fine with the way my phone is right now, but i'm always about being better, faster etc. i'm just getting impatient with the 2.2 OTA update.
  8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerdroid View Post

just my 2 cents!!!!!

thanks, for that. anything in particular that you read that made you decide rooting was for you? i mean, i'm fine with the way my phone is right now, but i'm always about being better, faster etc. i'm just getting impatient with the 2.2 OTA update.
    I have had my droid since launch day in November. After the 2.1 OTA update I was having a lot of issues with my phone. It was laggy, non responsive, battery life sucked, and the list went on. I had reached a point that I was either going to root or go back to my blackberry. I read all the stickys in the Hacks section on how to and what all was involved. I talked with a few people here on the forums and finally decided to take the leap as I had nothing to loose. Either my droid was going to get better or I was going to dump it.

I have to say that for me rooting was the best thing I could have done to my phone. I have never been happier. But again, I have learned that each phone is different. My husband had a totally different experience with his droid. He did not have any of the issues I had after the 2.1 update. We just recently rooted his because he wanted some of the 2.2 features and was tired of waiting on Verizon as well.

So my advice is to read all you can about rooting and what it is you are doing to your phone. Then decide will rooting give you a better experience or are you totally happy the way you are now.

Remember there are a lot of us here that can help you if you get stuck.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerdroid View Post

just my 2 cents!!!!!

I have had my droid since launch day in November. After the 2.1 OTA update I was having a lot of issues with my phone. It was laggy, non responsive, battery life sucked, and the list went on. I had reached a point that I was either going to root or go back to my blackberry. I read all the stickys in the Hacks section on how to and what all was involved. I talked with a few people here on the forums and finally decided to take the leap as I had nothing to loose. Either my droid was going to get better or I was going to dump it.

I have to say that for me rooting was the best thing I could have done to my phone. I have never been happier. But again, I have learned that each phone is different. My husband had a totally different experience with his droid. He did not have any of the issues I had after the 2.1 update. We just recently rooted his because he wanted some of the 2.2 features and was tired of waiting on Verizon as well.

So my advice is to read all you can about rooting and what it is you are doing to your phone. Then decide will rooting give you a better experience or are you totally happy the way you are now.

Remember there are a lot of us here that can help you if you get stuck.
    thanks again. i'm actually reading one of the sticky's right now, about updating to 2.2 without having to root. i'll definitely be reading more about the pros and cons of rooting.

Links