DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Noob here, can you root after roots?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Noob here, can you root after roots?

Somebody rooted my droid to 2.1 (ESE53). could I simply root forward to 2.1 (ESE81) by using the SPRecovery_ESE81 in the RSD Lite? even though I'm starting the root from 2.1 (ESE53)?

Question 2 : When is it necessary to wipe all data from the phone? Because in my condition, my phone is flashed specially for Metro PCS. so i have to avoid anything that would have to make me reactivate it.
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Once you are rooted you are rooted. You would just flash different roms.

In my opinion, whenever you flash a new rom you should always backup and wipe cache. That way you are applying a new rom on a clean slate.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Vargas View Post
    Somebody rooted my droid to 2.1 (ESE53). could I simply root forward to 2.1 (ESE81) by using the SPRecovery_ESE81 in the RSD Lite? even though I'm starting the root from 2.1 (ESE53)?

Question 2 : When is it necessary to wipe all data from the phone? Because in my condition, my phone is flashed specially for Metro PCS. so i have to avoid anything that would have to make me reactivate it.
    I think you're very confused about what rooting is. "Rooting" is the process of obtaining administrator-level access to the phone, ie, the ability to install system software that motorola didn't approve.

What I think you mean is just "installing". you installed a version of 2.1 and you want to install a newer version. If you install using RSDLite, that will completely wipe out your phone - system and data. I don't know how the phone is set up with MetroPCS, but reactivation should not be required unless you are upgrading the "baseband" (cell radio) firmware.

Assuming you have SPRecovery installed, you SHOULD just be able to use the "update.zip method" of installing a newer version of software - meaning that you drop an update.zip file on your SD card, reboot into the recovery console, and install that way (make a backup first!). No need to use RSDLite anymore now that you have SPRecovery installed.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links