DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to use a droid without the data plan

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Is there a way to use a droid without the data plan

I want to have a phone with usefull offline apps and I only want data through my wifi. I asked around a little with Verizon, and they said it is impossible to get a droid without the data package. Is there a way to work around it?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by mistersoul View Post
    I want to have a phone with usefull offline apps and I only want data through my wifi. I asked around a little with Verizon, and they said it is impossible to get a droid without the data package. Is there a way to work around it?
    If you have one... just activate it on a VZW line then activate your regular phone... after it's initially activated you are good to go.

If you don't have one... try CL or Ebay for a used one if you only want it for wifi.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Dustinmj has it right.

The contract only applies to the base calling plan. You can add/remove features as desired (such as a data plan or messaging package) with no penalties. However, Verizon will not under any circumstances allow you to have the Droid activated on their network without a data plan. They're very, very, adamant about that.
    Meaning you would not be able to use it as a phone. although I suppose you could text with it on WiFi (remember that it does not permit Skype to be used on WiFi.) Like Dustinmj said, you would have to use a different, non-smartphone as the phone activated on your plan.

I guess basically you could think of it as being the Android counterpart to an iPod Touch if you wanted to use it without a data plan.

If you plan on going the eBay route, beware of the phones with bad ESNs. It might be tempting since they're usually quite cheap and, after all, it makes no difference to you, as you don't want to activate it, but be cautioned that these are almost always stolen or lost (& unreturned to the owner). The ESN goes bad when the owner of it reports that they lost it or it was stolen — and if somehow it got tracked down, you'll be the one held responsible for charges of purchasing stolen property.
    THUNDERBOLT.

5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    TY, but after further research, neither of these replies are true. There was an extensive thread in here on the subject. Under current Verizon policy it is outside of the contract covenants to use a data capable phone on their network without the purchase of a data plan. bummer.

I would like to note that this seems contrary to the open source ideals and values of consumer freedom that android was founded on.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Mistersoul, both of the prior posts are in fact correct. They are both telling you that you can use the droid AFTER THE INITIAL ACTIVATION without having it associated with or linked to a verizon network.

Quote Originally Posted by USCChem View Post
    However, Verizon will not under any circumstances allow you to have the Droid activated on their network without a data plan. They're very, very, adamant about that.
    You have to activate the Droid first, which initially would require a data plan. After that (same day if you want to), you switch back to your old non-smartphone, cancel your data plan, and use your Droid as a PDA.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mistersoul View Post
    TY, but after further research, neither of these replies are true. There was an extensive thread in here on the subject. Under current Verizon policy it is outside of the contract covenants to use a data capable phone on their network without the purchase of a data plan. bummer.

I would like to note that this seems contrary to the open source ideals and values of consumer freedom that android was founded on.
    Did you even read my post? That is EXACTLY what I said.
    Verizon's policies have nothing to do with Android.
    THUNDERBOLT.

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by MNTNBKR View Post
    You have to activate the Droid first, which initially would require a data plan. After that (same day if you want to), you switch back to your old non-smartphone, cancel your data plan, and use your Droid as a PDA.
    Just trying to understand - what is need to activate the Droid with data plan first if the Droid is going to be swapped out? The Droid can be used as a PDA even without these steps.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    The droid can be used as a PDA...It can use wifi.

If you wish the droid to have cell service then you must have a data plan.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droid

No way to disguise from verizon that it's a smartphone?

Just wondering if there was some way to make it look like you're calling from a regular phone. Seems you should be able to use it as you see fit once you've met the contract's requirement— ie paid the data fees until your contract ended and you own the phone without any restrictions. Anybody wanna start a class action?
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    TRC-217 CB

Nothing is impossible..

Wouldn't it be possible to subscribe to a basic plan with a basic "dumb-phone", and then clone the dumb-phones ESN into the smartphone..? allowing it to operate with basic voice/texting just as if it were the original dumb-phone...But then utilize WiFi for anything internet based...

CRT
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links