DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with tethering on a mac PDAnet

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So I'm tethered using Bluetooth DUN on my mac right now. It was a really weird string of processes I had to follow to get it to work but I'll post here. USB tether works flawlessly with PDANet 2.17, but Bluetooth at least requires me to mess around more to get it to work. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a black macbook.

1. Make sure your mac is connected to wireless internet via airport.
    2. Enable bluetooth DUN on pdanet on the droid.
    3. Go to network settings, bluetooth DUN, and click "connect."
    4. The bluetooth DUN setting will work, and it will stay connected rather than simply connecting briefly and then turning off.
    5. Turn off your airport and wireless will drop, but the droid will stay tethered and working.

Now if you don't have a wireless connection over airport when you start all this, the bluetooth DUN from the droid will connect for a second, and then it will drop the connection. WHY does this happen!!?? Isn't the whole purpose of tethering the phone to get internet when I DON'T have access to other wireless networks!? PLEASE somebody clarify this for me, or write up how you have gotten bluetooth DUN and PDANet to work with your mac!!
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kozykitty View Post
    Will pdanet work with a G4 Powerbook? I am running OS 10.5.6 (Leopard). I read somewhere that it doesn't work on with Powerbooks or iMacs. Has anyone had success getting it to work on a machine with a Power PC processor (as opposed to intel). Thanks.
    I have a Powerbook G4 and was able to tether with my Motorola Droid and PDA net via Bluetooth.

Pair your phone with your Mac via the bluetooth settings. I'm assuming you know how to pair BT devices. Make sure you have "Enable Internet connection sharing" (or something along those lines, can't remember the exact wording) checked during the initial pairing/setup.

Go to System Preferences --> Network and click on the "+" to add a new interface. Select "Bluetooth" from the dropdown menu and call it MotoDroid or whatever you want. Enter "123" (without the quotes) in the "Telephone Number" section and hit "apply". Click "Connect" and you should be off and running.

Whenever you want to enable tethering in the future -- Fire up PDANet and enable Bluetooth, go to your Mac's network connections, select the new BT interface and click "connect".

You do not need the OSX PDANet client installed on your Powerbook for this to work. Just install the client on the Droid.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Got it to work but . . .

I've been successful in tethering the powerbook to my droid. Now here is the next issue. I can no longer access secure sites on my powerbook when tethering because the free version of pdanet is only good for 14 days after which you must purchase the license. I went to the site and paid the $18.95 for the license directly from my droid and I received an email with the serial number. Unfortunately you must enter the serial number on the computer side with the pdanet software loaded on the computer. Of course it doesn't work with my powerbook so the point is moot. Is there a way to access the secure sites after the 14 days or do I have to uninstall and reinstall pdanet every 14 days on the droid?
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've been successful in tethering the powerbook to my droid. Now here is the next issue. I can no longer access secure sites on my powerbook when tethering because the free version of pdanet is only good for 14 days after which you must purchase the license. I went to the site and paid the $18.95 for the license directly from my droid and I received an email with the serial number. Unfortunately you must enter the serial number on the computer side with the pdanet software loaded on the computer. Of course it doesn't work with my powerbook so the point is moot. Is there a way to access the secure sites after the 14 days or do I have to uninstall and reinstall pdanet every 14 days on the droid?
    Hrm. Not sure about that. I've never been prompted for any registration or serial number with PDANet. I don't use the PDANet app on the Powerbook, just the app on the Droid and Bluetooth DUN.

Is it 14 days of use or do you get the reminder 14 days after you installed the application? I installed this months ago and have never seen anything asking me to register. I'm running version 2.42 if that makes any difference.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by carlaron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rothenbj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlaron View Post

I just tried it and it doesn't work. The instructions say that installation will create a new network interface that I'll see in the Network Preferences, but nothing shows up there. When I click connect, it says it can't find the network preferences.

I'd really rather use Bluetooth anyway, but that isn't working either. I get an error about not finding an "RFCOMM serial port"...

WTF? I'd swear PDAnet worked with Bluetooth when I first downloaded it a few weeks ago, and now it doesn't work anymore, and neither does USB.
    From what I've been able to figure out, the RFCOMM profile is not currently supported on Droid. I wanted to attach a hand held bar code scanner which didn't work. It apparently needs that profile.

Maybe some techies could elaborate.
    I've had some bizarrely unpredictable successes getting the BlueTooth Connection to work.... I just can't mail down what the actual difference is between the times it works and when it doesn't. Sometimes, it seems like if I restart both the Mac and the Droid, and make the PDANet BlueTooth connection before doing anything else on the Droid, it will work... but not again if I disconnect and try to re-connect.. and not every time, either... Very weird. I NEVER got the USB tether to work at all, so I uninstalled the damn software, since the Bluetooth one didn't require any special software, and maybe they'll get that working again?

I did manager to get "azlink" working for a USB tether, but it is a bit of a pain in the butt and not clearly documented.

I had the exact same results as you, sometimes it would work automatically and most of the time it wouldn't connect. When it did work for me it (the mac) actually setup the connection it self.
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

*Support Open Source* Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ANDROID FTW!!!
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mdl70 View Post
    Hrm. Not sure about that. I've never been prompted for any registration or serial number with PDANet. I don't use the PDANet app on the Powerbook, just the app on the Droid and Bluetooth DUN.

Is it 14 days of use or do you get the reminder 14 days after you installed the application? I installed this months ago and have never seen anything asking me to register. I'm running version 2.42 if that makes any difference.
    I'm also running version 2.42. It does not prompt for a registration number. The deal with pdaNet is that after 14 days you will not be able access any https sites. I had forgotten about that until one time last week when I was attempting to log in to "my Ebay" to check my account and I couldn't do so. I went to the website of the developer and was reminded that you must purchase the full version to have continued access to secure sites. I went to the site using my droid and paid via paypal to buy the full version. However, when I got the email from the developer with the serial number, it said that I was to put the serial number into the pdaNet on my computer and just keep the free version on my droid. Oops! I cannot use the computer version as it is only for Macs with the newer hardward (Intel based). So I've sent an email to the developer to see what I should do. I currently connect using bluetooth dun and it works great except for not being able to access secure sites. I've paid to be able to do so and I want to find a way to do that. Hopefully they will help me or refund my money!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm also running version 2.42. It does not prompt for a registration number. The deal with pdaNet is that after 14 days you will not be able access any https sites. I had forgotten about that until one time last week when I was attempting to log in to "my Ebay" to check my account and I couldn't do so. I went to the website of the developer and was reminded that you must purchase the full version to have continued access to secure sites. I went to the site using my droid and paid via paypal to buy the full version. However, when I got the email from the developer with the serial number, it said that I was to put the serial number into the pdaNet on my computer and just keep the free version on my droid. Oops! I cannot use the computer version as it is only for Macs with the newer hardward (Intel based). So I've sent an email to the developer to see what I should do. I currently connect using bluetooth dun and it works great except for not being able to access secure sites. I've paid to be able to do so and I want to find a way to do that. Hopefully they will help me or refund my money!
    That's weird. I haven't seen anything like that. I was able to connect to Gmail via https last night whille testing it out.

I'll keep playing around with this and see if I can replicate it but I'm wondering if there's something I did (or didn't do) differently that's causing things to behave differently for me.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I am tethering on a 2006 Macbook OS X 10.4 now as i type.

Main mistake is to try to "Setup Services To Use With This Device" after
    you "Setup Bluetooth Device".

1. Click on the little bluetooth icon on top right, or go to "System Preferences".

2. You will see "Setup Bluetooth Device" in the dropdown menu.

3. Turn PDANet on to "Bluetooth DUN" and accept when Droid gives you option to it BT discoverable for 120 secs. Then the passkey generated by the Mac will appear, enter it. THAT IS IT, YOU ARE PAIRED! Next just hit "Cancel" when you are prompted to "Select services to use with this device". Failure to cancel will take you to a list of useless antiquated modem drivers, and then your Mac will freeze requiring a hard reboot after an endless pairing session.

4. Click on the little BT icon again and choose "Connect to xxxxxxx" it will show the name of your Droid or Droid X in my case.

NOW YOU ARE BROWSING!

To avoid future jams just delete the Phone icon from the top menu to avoid trying to connect to the Droid as a "Phone Modem".

So remember, for Mac OS 10.4 you will always connect to a Droid as a "Bluetooth Device". Resist the temptation to create a modem link.

Hope this helps, i learned it the hard way, took me an hour at the park with the kids with 90 deg weather
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
    And if you guys think this is hard, i spent two days on a Windows 7 machine, having to eventually download Motorola Mobile Phone Tools only to manually install a single BT Radio driver, the "Microsoft Corporation" one using the Device Manager.
    Last edited by Kandiru; 08-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links