I had some extra time at work and put together a better set of instructions... I take no credit for these, I just put them together from a few different threads!
Download all files at once... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0ZT11QID
TO ENABLE BOOT SOUNDS ON D1, D2, DX (ROOT USERS ONLY!!!)
Credit - oldschool71
Download: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ld-prop-2.html It's about halfway down page 2.
1. Download the attached file. This file is one that I removed from a R2D2 D2.
2. Unzip the file and save the file to your sdcard. The file is labeled bootanimation.
3. Use root explorer and go to the folder /system/bin.
4. In that folder locate the file named bootanimation and save it as bootanimation2
5. move the file that you just renamed to your sdcard
6. move the new file that you downloaded and placed on your sdcard to the folder /system/bin
7. simple as that.
BOOT ANIMATION Installation Instructions
Optimized for D1- Credit - doomedromance, elektronikbadger for desc.txt to add sound
***If you want the original sounds from the R2D2 bootanimation, you'll need to get it from the first link. The sound is not included with the bootanimation.zip***
Use Root Explorer to move the bootanimation.zip
1. Put on SD Card
2. Rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip (Can be done from computer before copied to SD Card instead.)
3. Copy and Paste it into /data/local (will take up memory used for apps)
alt. 3. Copy and past into /system/media (This will replace your original bootanimation so be sure to rename that file to bootanimation.zip.bak before copying the new one.)
4. Turn off your phone.
5. Turn on your phone.
No Root needed:
*must have Android SDK installed. and put the android-sdk folder on your c drive (c:/android-sdk)
*install the motorola usb drivers for your OS (Win 32bit) (Win 64bit)
rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip and create a folder on your c drive named bootanimation (c:/bootanimation)
- Open command prompt (cmd.exe)
- cd c:/android-sdk (or /wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is)
- adb devices (to verify the connection - will show your device serial number if connected)
- cd c:/bootanimation
- adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
- adb reboot
Your phone will now reboot and play your new bootanimation!
The sound that is listed in the desc.txt MUST BE PLACED IN THE /SYSTEM/MEDIA/ FOLDER ON YOUR PHONE!!! YOU WILL NOT GET SOUND IF IT IS NOT PLACED IN THAT SPECIFIC FOLDER.
If you do everything here and follow the steps, you can have bootsounds too!
You can edit the desc.txt on any bootanimation to play whatever sound you want, as long as the sound is called in the desc.txt and is also located in the /system/media/ folder. The bootanimation does not look anywhere else!