DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Want to root....overwhelmed!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Want to root....overwhelmed!

Ok, I've had my Moto Droid for a cpl months and I love it but I WANT FROYO lol!! My question(s) are: If I root and install a froyo rom, will I still have all my contacts, apps, etc. If so...where do I start?

I see so many forums and videos on how to root and install FroYo but I can't for the life of me find 1 video on how to, from where I'm at now, create a backup, root my phone, and install ( or flash?) the froyo rom. Plz help and ty in advance =D

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarterReal View Post
    Ok, I've had my Moto Droid for a cpl months and I love it but I WANT FROYO lol!! My question(s) are: If I root and install a froyo rom, will I still have all my contacts, apps, etc. If so...where do I start?

I see so many forums and videos on how to root and install FroYo but I can't for the life of me find 1 video on how to, from where I'm at now, create a backup, root my phone, and install ( or flash?) the froyo rom. Plz help and ty in advance =D
    First to install Froyo you don't have to root first. When you install Froyo it comes with root.

I didn't have a walk through either when I installed it. I had about 80,000 people in the Forum to help me out.

First thing you need to do is flash SPRecovery. Again you do not need to root.

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Once you've done that you do a back up using SPRecovery of your current OS. Then you wipe the cache and data using SPRecovery. Then you mount your Droid. Download Froyo from our Still More Froyo page in the news area. Unzip it and make sure that you have 1 folder with 3 items in it. Rename the folder whatever you want and put that folder in the nandroid folder on your Droids SD card. Turn your phone off, boot into SPRecovery and restore the folder you placed in there. You will be rooted and have 2.2 installed.

That's as simple as I can make it. If you do somehow manage to brick your phone, I am not responsible.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks a lot! I'll get right on it and let you know how it works =D
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Mmk. So after the SDRecovery and RSD lite 4.6 steps, and before I put the downloaded froyo build into the root of my phone and boot it up...I make a backup incase anything happens right? Well, I have an app called Lookout which backs my phone up to a website. Will that suffice or will I need to make another backup using the SDRecovery? And if so, does anyone have a link to a walk-through? Sry for all the questions guys!
    Last edited by QuarterReal; 07-16-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr M retail
    No, the website backup isn't what you want. You will make a folder called "nandroid" (w/o quotes) on the root of your sd card. You use RSD lite to flash SPR recovery on your phone. With the phone off hold down x on the physical keyboard on the phone and then hold the power button to access recovery. Using SPR you will make a backup and that will store in the nandroid folder on the sd card. You will mount your sd card via usb and place the Froyo folder you intend to install in the nandroid folder. Reboot to recovery and select the restore option, choosing the Froyo folder instead of the backup you made. If there is no user data you will have your contacts and apps restored automatically by Google when you first boot Froyo.
    I'd root that!
    Droid RAZR M Retail/rooted

Links