DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered a 'Bricked' phone?

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    If you went to that sort of effort then yes, we would let you call it bricked.

However...not true without pics!

And yes, unplugging your phone half-way through a SBF flash that is replacing all software on your phone....rom, boot-recovery tool, etc. That is just a bad idea.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    A few days ago (seems a long time) when I tried to flash SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf to my phone, the process ended in failure as per the message I got on the screen. Stun and confused, I pulled the battery out...

When I tried the process the 3rd time (the 2nd ended the same) on a laptop, it worked.

What might have caused this? The PC I used to flash the first two times is a 486 2.66G built in 2003. I suspect the BIOS might be too old to work with nowadays gadgets.

We experienced a power outage next day, luckily during that time I was not doing anything with the phone.

Ever since I use laptop to flash and make sure both are fully charged first.

One thing I am always uncertain is the quality of either Clockworkmod or SPRecovery.

When using these programs alone, they appear to be stable. However, the restoration process was hang when using SPRecovery, which was flashed by ROM Manager. What to blame? Nothing. These are the tools we have today and it is the risk associated with the adventure.

Maybe I should learn to enjoy the new features more as opposed to digging deeper what else I can do.... I bet there are a lot of customization if I knew how. ....At the end, the update to 2.2/root has served me well.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I JUST HAD A FCKING HEART ATTACK A MINUTE AGO...I have a BB and I'm tryna figure out how to install these cusom themes...and well my phone was stuck on the motorola logo. *PANT PANT PANT* LMAO...
  5. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Lmao guys..... we got a bunch of comedians eh??? ...lol
    Well I guess that I can never really consider my Droid bricked then since I can pretty much rec@over it from any state other than an outright hardware failure, and even then I'd try to fix that as well..lol... so it appears that I had too broad a view as to what bricked could mean...... ;p ...thanks for the feedback guys.

At least now newer members can see that our Droids can be revived from almost any state..... where as before some considered their Droids bricked when failing to boot up because they didn't know how to use RSDLite or recoveries........and now they know...lol

OK...then my Droid was 'almost' bricked when trying to customize a forbidden ROM...lol

Have a good one guys
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    OK...then my Droid was 'almost' bricked when trying to customize a forbidden ROM...lol

Have a good one guys

LOL, any chance to take a little dig at UD, huh Mbk?
  7. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallica View Post

Have a good one guys

LOL, any chance to take a little dig at UD, huh Mbk?
    Lol.... that wasn't how I meant it... anywys, I sure it's a decent ROM considering how many members like it , just wasn't working right for my particular Droid and how I like to customize.......

Cheers everyone..... enjoy the rest of the day and eve......
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinacakes View Post
    Bricked means it will NOT TURN ON. It's essentially just a "brick" with no possible way to recover.
    I know now since you told me that's what bricked means, but I wonder if everyone thinks that as well.... or like I was thinking before which included unbootable Droids?

Anyways, it'd be good to clarify for everyone....
    Corina is correct. A lot of people misuse the term and are diluting its meaning.
  9. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinacakes View Post
    Bricked means it will NOT TURN ON. It's essentially just a "brick" with no possible way to recover.
    I know now since you told me that's what bricked means, but I wonder if everyone thinks that as well.... or like I was thinking before which included unbootable Droids?

Anyways, it'd be good to clarify for everyone....
    Corina is correct. A lot of people misuse the term and are diluting its meaning.
    Well you're a little late to the party Bro...lol... but as for diluting the meaning or whatever .... the term 'bricked' is a slang, it can mean whatever each individual wants it to mean. So there is really no need to say that anyone 'must' abide by any one view of what it could mean..... just a guideline for everyone to go by.... meaning that it is completely unsavable...
    To many here a Droid stuck on the M might be bricked to them because they cannot or are scared to try and recover it.... and to some a Droid that doesn't ev en boot to the M might be considered savable or recoverable...

Just my humble opinion
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Imagine if you kept "bricking" Droids.....alot of Droids. So many you build a house out of bricked Droids. Then one unsuspecting day all of your Droids are jolted back to life and your whole house Screams DROOIID

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links