DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing Notification customization App with lockscreen preview

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

Exclamation Developing Notification customization App: myLock

After some time researching it seems no one has attempted to offer this functionality for android at all. A few early concepts for this are being developed but nothing is launched as of yet on the jailbreak community with the iPhone. I switched from iPhone primarily due to the great notification system and integration with things like IM and google voice that you just can't get on the iPhone, even under heavy jailbreak modding.

This app will combine several tweaks and UI improvements, including skipping the keyguard and instead taking the user straight to the home UI where notificationpreview and a minimal, intuitive shortcuts menu are displayed.

Included features:
    *NotificationPreview widget panel--- Mainly this is useful so you can quickly check what your waiting messages say with just one press of the lock button to light up your screen. It's faster and simpler than the current method of having to unlock it and launch your notification panel. I know there are apps that attempt to do this with SMS, however my app will put all notifications in command of the user so that you can hook in Gtalk, Gvoice, any email account, etc. and base it which CONTACTS you want to see previews from. It will display a timeline as well so if multiple Gtalk come in you can see all of them, not just the latest

*Customizable: check only those programs/contacts you wish to see in the locked-screen notification preview. Any program you have on the device which uses notifications will be available. You can also customize further to specify whether you want the LED and what type/color.

*Shortcutter: a minimalistic, responsive, & intuitive new way to get to your most important apps and functions. hides options till touched, then a radial menu appears where you just need to drag over to the shortcut you wish to launch, and release to go!

*The useful thing of the keyguard is really in the regulation of it going back to sleep again faster when you haven't interacted with the device, giving you a slightly longer timeout if you have touched something and even longer if you have opened the slide. this is how mylock handles the keyguard, just by intelligently deciding how long timeout is needed and allowing the user to wake it back up without the obstructive keyguard screen. Different unlock options: choose from standard lock button + slide, double press lock button, or lock button + shake of the device, and more.

Ideas/suggestions and especially anyone interested in the project or thinking about similar design that would like to team up---- I have no experience with programming on android but I have plenty of experience coding in a java/C++ Obj Oriented scripting language so I just need to study some source and documentation and give it a try.
    Last edited by petjakob; 12-11-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: revise more feature descriptions
  2. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I can't help with programming, but I can give you encouragement for a great idea!!
  3. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    wait...so this app will let me unlock the droid without having to slide it..and just by pressing the lock button 2 times???

when is it gonna be released
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ooh, i'm excited...
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Learning is coming along, picking up the platform from scratch might take me some time coming from java based scripting languages. I'm currently trying to hunt down some source code for similar apps that have changed how the home screen, locking, lighting, and notification presentment happens. I'm really seeking a programmer who knows the platform a little bit and might like to collaborate.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Alll excellent ideas. I'd like the screen not to time out after the two minutes I've set it at but that would drain my battery - if it stayed very low and lit up when I pressed the screen that would make me happy.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Can't wait for this app! I will be happy when I can take the phone out of my pocket without worrying about answering/ignoring a call by accident.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Sounds like a winner. Handcent does this with SMS but it would be nice to have ALL NOTIFICATIONS handled this way. Looking forward to giving it a shot.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    If you need beta testers, I'll be more than happy to jump on this the second it comes out.

Kudos for a fantastic idea!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Thanks for the support, all of you.

I've opened a google code project for this, which I am new to but I think I've got it set up ok as a starting point: mylockforandroid - Project Hosting on Google Code

I work with someone who is good with Java but also new to android, so that makes us pretty much equal with my javascript and object oriented experience. Still hoping to work with someone who is familiar with android development, so feel free to follow me on twitter @ecnetsixe, my personal twitter. even if not a programmer feel free to direct questions/suggestions and generally just watch my day to day goings-on for an idea of progress with the app.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links