DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Noob but wanting to learn

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Noob but wanting to learn

I have searched many forums and cant get a straight answer......

I have a Droid with 2.1 update 1, ese81 with no root. How can I root and still keep my exchange server settings? I have tried the tutorial on this site and the links are broken for the initial update.zip and I cant find them anywhere. I know that the official update is supposed to come out in a seek but I am a control freak want the control of downloading my own ROM's. I just dont want to lose any information from my non-root setup.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you go from 2.1 non-root to 2.1 root you MIGHT be able to keep your settings. I've never tried it with the new method of flashing SPrecovery and then rooting. Most ROMs require you to wipe data and cache. Any upgrade from one version to another (such as 2.1 to 2.2) is going to require it.

Why not just write your server settings down?
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by durrell View Post
    If you go from 2.1 non-root to 2.1 root you MIGHT be able to keep your settings. I've never tried it with the new method of flashing SPrecovery and then rooting. Most ROMs require you to wipe data and cache. Any upgrade from one version to another (such as 2.1 to 2.2) is going to require it.

Why not just write your server settings down?
    Seconded. You can probably flash the SBF file that includes only the recovery image, and from there install the su binary and have root access. But once you have root, you'll probably want to install a ROM, in which case, you will likely need to wipe your data anyway. Your best bet is to just assume there will be data loss and prepare for it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Your best bet is to just assume there will be data loss and prepare for it.
    That's the best advice anyone can give. I guarantee at some point or another you're going to lose data if you get into changing ROMs. That's just the nature of the beast.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    My exchange settings are through my employer and it is a pain to track him down to re-enter the settings. but, as you guys have said...nature of the beast.

Links