DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question Before I Attempt Root

1. Johnly
    Good root thread in my sig, a good read IMO. Thank cristim.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Ok, I just successfully rooted, pretty cool stuff. There is something very satisfying about having a fully functional linux terminal running on a phone. 0_o

I might have to try a custom rom now, if only to get 2.2. However, at least now I can make a titanium backup w/ all data first.

Speaking of which.... how exactly would I 'roll back' to my old data if I wanted to?

If I'm understanding things correctly, it seems like it would be a two step process of
    1.) restoring the nandroid backup to get the exact rom back
    and
    2.) restoring a titanium backup to get all the small things (apps, settings, etc.) back

Thanks for all the help so far btw, I appreciate it guys!

Edit: Also, you could restore titanium backups to other rom versions without losing any app data, etc.?
    Last edited by ArmoredCavalry; 07-04-2010 at 10:51 PM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Not sure about restoring TI to other ROMs, although I would think it should work, but the nandroid backup is a flashed image of exactly what you are running at the time of backup. I suggest using rom manager to rename your backups so you can keep track of them a little better but you'll be limited to clockwork recovery if I'm not mistaken..
  4. Johnly
    Congrats AC ,I recommend Advanced nandroid back ups with everything asterisked! Have fun! PS I hear the baddest ROM by Woody man is dropping this week Use ROM Manager if you can't do that on your own via sp recovery.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredCavalry View Post
    I might have to try a custom rom now, if only to get 2.2. However, at least now I can make a titanium backup w/ all data first.

Speaking of which.... how exactly would I 'roll back' to my old data if I wanted to?

If I'm understanding things correctly, it seems like it would be a two step process of
    1.) restoring the nandroid backup to get the exact rom back
    and
    2.) restoring a titanium backup to get all the small things (apps, settings, etc.) back

Thanks for all the help so far btw, I appreciate it guys!

Edit: Also, you could restore titanium backups to other rom versions without losing any app data, etc.?
    I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order.

Edit: Yes. It works with the SD card and not with the system/ROM data.

2. Yes and no. As I'm unfamiliar with Titanium Backup I'm guessing, like any other backup program, at the very least you'll still need to put shortcuts back on the home screens. You'll restore your phone to "exactly" the way it was before you started messing with a Nandroid backup. Basically, it'll reinstall apps you didn't have installed before you flashed in the backup.

1. The phone will reboot with the old data, including all your shortcuts and settings, but it's probably best to wipe both the system/cache data at least twice (most seem to prefer 3x) and then just the cache data 2-3 times BEFORE you restore the backup just to make sure no old data clutters them up and screws with you.

Please, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a Nandroid backup before installing any kind of mod, ROM, theme, or kernel. That way if anything goes wrong you can just wipe system and cache data and reinstall the backup and you'll be exactly where you were before you flashed in the ROM or update or kernel. I can't stress this enough.

So, in short, my verbose description (which is possibly less than informative), if you flash in a Nandroid backup image you'll only need to run Titanium Backup if a program didn't download and you don't want to reinstall it from the market. If the Nandroid backup is old enough there might be updates you'll need to install anyway.

For a "stock" rooted 2.2 that's supposed to be the official OTA update anyway (just OC'd and rooted), check this one out -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ore-froyo.html -- and enjoy. You'll need to install Flash, but there should be at least one link somewhere in there you can use.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    So, clockwork recovery is another recovery image, and ROM manager is an in-Android front-end for the recovery image?

That is pretty darn cool. Also, I just installed the Milestone Overclock app, and upped the clock speed to 800Mhz. It could just be the placebo effect, but it seems like the whole device is running much faster now.

I made a full nandroid backup prior to root, If I changed to the clockwork recovery, does this mean that backup would be incompatible? Or is nandroid a universal backup format?

Edit: Also, thanks for the informative post furbearingmammal, it puts some questions I had to rest
    Last edited by ArmoredCavalry; 07-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.
  7. Johnly
    So, clockwork recovery is another recovery image, and ROM manager is an in-Android front-end for the recovery image?

That is pretty darn cool. Also, I just installed the Milestone Overclock app, and upped the clock speed to 800Mhz. It could just be the placebo effect, but it seems like the whole device is running much faster now.

I made a full nandroid backup prior to root, If I changed to the clockwork recovery, does this mean that backup would be incompatible? Or is nandroid a universal backup format?
    Nandroid is sp recovery, clock work is only that.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post

Nandroid is sp recovery, clock work is only that.
    However, Clockwork will let you flash SPRecovery in, unless I'm sadly mistaken, so that's an option for restoring your Nandroid. Two hundred or more (not pulling your leg) pages of people complaining about issues with Clockwork while trying to install the first FroYo leak and another hundred plus pages for the FRF57 leak started blending together after a while.

There is a stock image floating around, but it'd take you back to when you pulled the phone out of the box. Use it only if you're taking your phone in for service, you want to lose root, or you're advised to by someone trying to help you unbrick your phone. I don't have a link to it that I know of, but I believe I do have it on my computer, so I could probably send it to you if I had to.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Hey, just upgraded to 2.2. Cleared cache, but did not do factory reset. Looks like all my apps/settings are still in place (hurrah!). I use Launcher Pro, and all my desktop settings are saved! Pretty awesome!

Thanks again for all the help guys!
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    You're quite welcome. Enjoy having all the toys Verizon didn't want you to have in the first place, play safe(ly), and try not to get too hooked on customizing your phone!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links