DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual NAM Through Virtualization

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Dual NAM Through Virtualization

I know many people (myself included) carry multiple phones, and its a chore I'm tired of.

For the first time I see the possibility of a true Dual NAM phone. Lots of issues to cover here, proceed with caution. Any and all contribution is encouraged.

First off, I know Verizon won't allow multiple numbers to the same phone. There are too many things that can go wrong. To do this we need to know how a cell phone is "paired" with a number. Google is returning nothing relevant (I'm sure it's me not knowing the correct terms) but I remember from my old phones something about the NAM. With the OS being open source I'm sure we can basically copy \ paste the NAM code.

Where can we paste the code though? The best solution is a Virtual Machine. I'm only lightly familiar with Linux, and even less so with Android, but I bet someone can port or build an app.

That still leaves the issue of how to make it look like multiple devices to the carrier. I have nothing to contribute here....

If we were to run a basic OS, enough to run 2-3 virtual machines, it's feasible we could run them independently with different NAMs. This would allow for 2-3 phonebooks, email addresses, even 2-3 Facebook apps running simultaneously. Imagine using the 3 home screens for 3 different lines. Same icons on each, just pointing to different accounts \ lines.

Obviously, this would be a huge drain on the hardware, would cause it to run slowly, and drain the battery exponentially, but we have more to work with here than almost any other phone on the market.

So in conclusion, the hard OS would run things like media, camera, and any non-network required factory apps. There would be multiple virtual machines each programmable with different #'s, which would look like different phones to the carrier. (this seems to be the roughest part, since some kind of serial number would have to be spoofed.) Lastly, the virtual machines would have to carry the factory networking required apps (maps etc) there's no reason to have multiple instances of these so they could be installed on a main or primary virtual machine, probably the one that carries the main or personal number.

Lots to swallow, but is it feasible? Obviously rooting the phone comes first...

3. sir
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i use Google Voice which allows me to use a second number on my device....
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Call forwarding only solves 10% of the problem. There are many people who carry multiple phones because they require the functionality. If my clients call a specific number, they expect that number to call them back. Call forwarding doesn't do that. Also, I have to monitor multiple Facebook accounts, email addresses, and keep different phone books separate.

I know that there are others carrying multiple phones, and I think that if the open source community takes interest in this, it can be done.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    There's even the possibility of implementing Win Mobile, Blackberry, or iPhone emulators. Imagine running 3 different OS's on your home screens. Hardware would hardly support it, but were on the verge of a changing landscape all across technology. Who here doesn't run at least one virtual OS on their PC?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ok guys here is how verizon pairs a number to a device:
    CDMA phones all have an ESN or MEID number, which is basically a serial number. When the device is turned on, the phone looks at the PRL (preferred roaming list) to see what towers it can talk to, then registers with those towers using the HARDWARE esn/ meid number. It is ILLEGAL!! to copy the esn from one phone to another, and without a CDMA phone with dual radios we cannot have one device registering two different numbers on the network. For GSM phones, there are SIM cards that have the imeid (correct me if im wrong) that registers with the network, and there are GSM phones with dual sim slots, so you can have two numbers on one device. Just programming the NAM into a device will not give it another number, and on the droid it is IMPOSSIBLE to have two phone numbers registered.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Well illegal ends this thread pretty quickly.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Stratosphere II
    illegal? citation needed.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Cloning an ESN is illegal, look it up. There might be a loophole for it in the DMCA, but ive never seen the loophole.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angel12 View Post
    Cloning an ESN is illegal, look it up. There might be a loophole for it in the DMCA, but ive never seen the loophole.

Cell Phone Fraud
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Spoke with Verizon

Just got off the phone with 611. Their system says this can be done with the Droid. The rep and I then eventually got to a level 2 person from porting to get that number over. The porting rep had to look it up and came back saying that they couldn't do it.

The front line rep at this point wasn't satisfied because (a) his system says it can be done and (b) he too doesn't want to schlep phones. He dug around in his system and found an older note that said you need to do this at retail so they phone can be physically re-flashed.

So, I'll try that route during the week & will keep you posted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links