DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No portable hotspot option on FRF84b

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

No portable hotspot option on FRG01B as well?

See below, I originally started this thread for an earlier build, but I am wondering if the same thing still applies to FRG01B, since press releases I've seen on the Droid 2 say it has a portable hotspot option; do you think that option is only going to be ad-hoc, and not infrastructure?

Honestly, I tried as much as possible to find something on this, but could not, so, please, if it has been discussed, excuse the redundancy.

I saw a video on you tube of someone showing 2.2 on a phone other than the Droid. There was an option under "Wireless & networks" showing "Tethering and portable hotspot." When I installed FRF84b, that option only says "Tethering." It seems the portable hotspot option was not included in this rom / disabled, is that correct? And if I am right in my assumption, is there a build out there I can get for my rooted Verizon Droid that supports portable hotspot?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by DarthMurdicide; 08-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMurdicide View Post
    Honestly, I tried as much as possible to find something on this, but could not, so, please, if it has been discussed, excuse the redundancy.

I saw a video on you tube of someone showing 2.2 on a phone other than the Droid. There was an option under "Wireless & networks" showing "Tethering and portable hotspot." When I installed FRF84b, that option only says "Tethering." It seems the portable hotspot option was not included in this rom / disabled, is that correct? And if I am right in my assumption, is there a build out there I can get for my rooted Verizon Droid that supports portable hotspot?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    The phone in the vid you saw was probably the Droid X not Moto Droid. Moto Droid does not have this option natively.

If you're rooted you can downloaded wireless tether for root users. Works great. If not, no option.

FYI. The native Tethering option for FRF84B will not work. You can search the web for Wired tehering for root users if you want that option.
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Yea there is an app on the market for rooted droids called wireless tether which will make your phone a wireless hot spot i use it and it's actually pretty quick internet for your laptop or whatever you connect to the wifi
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    This is what you're looking for:
    http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...ther_2_0_2.apk

There is a 2.05 version, but I can't get it to work and the site says it's experiemental anyway.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I appreciate the responses, but from what I have been able to glean, apps like Wifi Tether only create an ad-hoc connection, which is not supported by devices like the PSP. I was hoping to wirelessly connect my PSP to my Droid for PSP internet access, but it doesn't look like you can do that without the Droid being a "true" hotspot; this has been a great learning experience as it seems that "tethering" your Droid doesn't make it a true WIFI hotspot that can be used by something like a PSP. Tethering works only with laptops and the like that support ad-hoc. Which is still kind of weird because there's an ad-hoc mode on the PSP, but apparently that mode only works with other PSP's...

Please someone tell me I'm wrong...
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I appreciate the responses, but from what I have been able to glean, apps like Wifi Tether only create an ad-hoc connection, which is not supported by devices like the PSP. I was hoping to wirelessly connect my PSP to my Droid for PSP internet access, but it doesn't look like you can do that without the Droid being a "true" hotspot; this has been a great learning experience as it seems that "tethering" your Droid doesn't make it a true WIFI hotspot that can be used by something like a PSP. Tethering works only with laptops and the like that support ad-hoc. Which is still kind of weird because there's an ad-hoc mode on the PSP, but apparently that mode only works with other PSP's...

Please someone tell me I'm wrong...
    Wish I could, but you're spot-on on all accounts. Wifi-Tether as we have it only creates ad-hoc hot spots, and it only uses WEP encryption, but the true wifi tether option in froyo would create an AP spot and use WPA if you wanted (but doesn't work on the Droid....yet?)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Stupid question I know, but can you install a 2.2 rom on a Droid designed for another phone (like the N1) that has the "portable hotspot" option under "Wifi & networks"? Are roms "phone-specific"?
    Last edited by DarthMurdicide; 07-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Stupid question I know, but can you install a 2.2 rom on a Droid designed for another phone (like the N1) that has the "portable hotspot" option under "Wifi & networks"?
    No, it won't work. The limitation for the wifi hotspot is at a driver level. It's being worked on by various rom developers, though. The wifi hotspot menu item showed up in an older version of Sapphire (0.5 or 0.6.0, I think), but the developers removed it because it doesn't work (yet).
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    OK, thanks for the confirmations Se7enLC. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting what I was reading. Even without the portable hotspot feature on the Droid, I still really dig this Froyo OS!
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    See above, I originally started this thread for an earlier build, but I am wondering if the same thing still applies to FRG01B, since press releases I've seen on the Droid 2 say it has a portable hotspot option; do you think that option is only going to be ad-hoc, and not infrastructure?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links