DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpartition SD Card

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic

Unpartition SD Card

I used Rom Manager to partition my 16GB SD Card back when I wanted to use App2SD. Now that it isn't required anymore, I don't know how to get my space back. Is there an option in Rom Manager to remove it and I'm just not seeing it?

TIA.

Edit: I should also mention that I tried formatting the SD card from clockwork and android and all that does is format the 14.8GB partition for me.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Your best bet is to do it from a PC. Make sure you make a backup of everything on the card first.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Sorry, but do what from a PC? What tool should I use? I see the disk in computer management and it shows the partitions, but if I delete the ext partition, I cant expand or delete/recreate the main fat32 one.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by compywiz View Post
    Sorry, but do what from a PC? What tool should I use? I see the disk in computer management and it shows the partitions, but if I delete the ext partition, I cant expand or delete/recreate the main fat32 one.
    Delete both partitions and create a new fat32 partition. Make sure you backed up all your data from the original fat32 partition, first, of course.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Yeah, thats part of the problem. In disk management, I can't delete the 14gb partition so I can then recreate a fat32 spanning the entire disk. Any idea why?
    Last edited by compywiz; 06-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Yeah, thats part of the problem. In disk management, I can't delete the 14gb partition so I can then recreate a fat32 spanning the entire disk. Any idea why?
    I'm not a windows user, so I don't know why that wouldn't be allowed. Perhaps somebody can recommend a third party disk partition utility that will let you? Maybe having the SD card directly in the PC is different than having it connected via USB?
    Cool CM Tricks
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Is there possibly some commands I can enter into terminal on the droid to partition it right on there? If rom manager does it, there must be a way right?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Try paragon partition manager 9. Google to find it for the excellent price of $0.00!
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Is there possibly some commands I can enter into terminal on the droid to partition it right on there? If rom manager does it, there must be a way right?
    indeed, I'm looking into it right now. I see that in /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/ there are a number of utilities, including parted, which is the utility you need to manage partitions.

/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/parted --help

Gives you a large number of options, definitely including the ones you will need.

Code:
    parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
    Lists off my 3 partitions (fat32, ext2 apps2sd, 128mb swap)

From the looks of it, you should be able to use the "rm" option to remove partitions and then the "mkpart" option to create a new single partition that covers the whole SD card. I haven't tried it myself, so I recommend:
    A). back up the droid to the SD card
    B). back up everything on the SD card to a PC
    C). unmount the SD card
    D). delete all three partitions
    E). create a new partition the full size of the SD card
    F). Not sure if you need to actually format the partition or if the droid will do that on its own when you reboot. There isn't an mkfs.vfat included with rommanager, so you might need to do that on a PC, still. I would guess that the droid has the ability to auto-partition and format a new card built in

THIS IS JUST MY GUESS:
    Code:
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 0
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 1
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 rm 2
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 mkpartfs primary fat32 0s -1s
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 06-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Cool CM Tricks
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I don't think you can use parted to remove partitions or create partitions from terminal since the sdcard is mounted to the phone. You could do it from recovery but none of the current droid recovery.img's have a terminal buit into them like the G1 and other phones have.
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links