DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unpartition SD Card

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Magic 32B
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    parted /dev/mmcblk0 mkpartfs primary fat32 0s -1s
    Can the SD card be formatted as ext4 under Froyo or does it only recognise fat32?

[EDIT]

nm, it was quicker to try it. Froyo didn't recognise my 4GB class 6 uSD card when formatted with ext4; it seems ext support has gone in Froyo. :/
    Last edited by Fatman; 08-13-2010 at 04:46 AM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    Paragon 11 didn't work. Has this been figured out?

I'm in the same situation as the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Magic 32B

Cool Partitions and filesystems

Quote Originally Posted by naman919 View Post
    It's not a problem. You need to have the right mental image of partitions and file systems. Sometimes we get stuck on terminology. Try this: the micro SD card is like a large storage space, the partition is like a sealed-off part of that space, and the file system is like a toolbox that completely fills the partition. Your files are like individual tools in the toolbox.

The problem here is the storage space is small. You must reclaim the sealed-off part that you don't use any more. When you're done with that, you need to see about a bigger toolbox.

There are two ways to do it:
    1. remove all the tools to another toolbox somewhere else, completely clean out the entire storage space, create a new sealed-off area and toolbox, and put all the tools back. or
    2. merge the sealed-off areas and grow the toolbox.

It's up to you which method to use. The first is simpler and quicker but means you have to move a lot of tools around. The second is complicated and takes longer but leaves all your tools as they were. Whatever you decide, take a backup of both partitions before you start messing, so you can restore and start again if things go wrong.

For method 1, the steps are: delete both partitions, create one partition (primary), format new partition (fat32). For method 2, the steps are: delete one partition (ext4), grow remaining partition. (Don't worry about deleting or growing filesystems, the partitions will take care of that.)

Any of the tools mentioned (gparted, cfdisk, Paragon) can do these tasks and usually they're quite intuitive. If you can't do them all at once, try them one at a time.

Hope this helps.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Pretty sure 14.8GB is the correct size. If you reformat the card using the droid, it will repartition back to a single partition as well. Try it out - use ROM Manager to partition for Apps2SD and look at the reported size, then reformat it from Settings | SD Card and see what size is listed.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    It's not a problem. You need to have the right mental image of partitions and file systems.
    *facepalm*

I know how to use a partition manager/ADB/RM. Thanks for the layman's terms, but i understand completely how to utilize the utilities. What happened, which i should have explained more, was that Paragon only saw one partition of 14.8Gb on the SD Card. Per the post below, it looks like that's the full size of the 16Gb card. (Which is weird)

I didn't look through the ADB and ROM Manager instructions, just the paragon suggestion for simplicity. I only really tried for five minutes last night. thanks.

Pretty sure 14.8GB is the correct size. If you reformat the card using the droid, it will repartition back to a single partition as well. Try it out - use ROM Manager to partition for Apps2SD and look at the reported size, then reformat it from Settings | SD Card and see what size is listed.
    Ok. i used Clockword Recovery to delete the ext partition on the SD Card and then reformatted the whole thing. 14.8Gb is really the full size?

This is a second micro SC card I have that i used with a ROM that used apps2sd. Now i'm using it as expanded storage in a Sansa Clip+ mp3 player. Trying to get all the space I can on it.

so 14.8Gb is the max? If so, i've recovered all of it onto one partition.
    Last edited by naman919; 08-24-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Ok. i used Clockword Recovery to delete the ext partition on the SD Card and then reformatted the whole thing. 14.8Gb is really the full size?
    I meant partition so that you HAVE the ext partition, and then look to see how large it lists (14.3, 13.8, something like that), and then RE-partition back to a single and see that it goes back up to 14.8. I believe that is the case.

Google for "14gb 16gb" to see what I mean. FAT32 is pretty inefficient at using space on large drives, so the actually formatted capacity will be much lower than advertised (extra space taken up by the allocation table, etc)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    I meant partition so that you HAVE the ext partition, and then look to see how large it lists (14.3, 13.8, something like that), and then RE-partition back to a single and see that it goes back up to 14.8. I believe that is the case.

Google for "14gb 16gb" to see what I mean. FAT32 is pretty inefficient at using space on large drives, so the actually formatted capacity will be much lower than advertised (extra space taken up by the allocation table, etc)
    I did it a while ago, weeks ago, just found it to put it in my Sansa Clip+.

14.8Gb out of 16Gb is 92.5% efficiency. wow. I know fat32 sucks but jebus.

Anywho. Just wanted to know the full (actual) capacity. Thanks!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    14.8Gb out of 16Gb is 92.5% efficiency. wow. I know fat32 sucks but jebus.
    Actually, now that I look into it more, the problem isn't with the filesystem at all. It's the marketing!

A "16GB" card is actually 16 billion bytes, not 16GB. 16000000000/1024/1024/1024 is approximately 14.9GB
    16000000000/1024/1024/1024 - Google Search
    Cool CM Tricks
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    yep. i just thought about that. bits/bytes. ha. stupid marketing.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    ok. problem.

i deleted the partition on the sd card using paragon, but it won't let me create a new one.

The card has no partitions and therefore cannot be formatted by anything. err.....?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links