DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unpartition SD Card

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by 19DroidRage84 View Post
    I don't think you can use parted to remove partitions or create partitions from terminal since the sdcard is mounted to the phone. You could do it from recovery but none of the current droid recovery.img's have a terminal buit into them like the G1 and other phones have.
    Settings | SD card & phone storage settings has an option for unmounting the SD card for safe removal (ironic, since there's no way to remove it without removing the battery - but I suppose this option was written into AndroidOS without assuming that the SD card would be under the battery). When you do that, the /dev/block/mmcblk0 device no longer shows up as mounted when you type "df". It also allows you to format the card without rebooting into recovery. It looks like this is how ROM Manager does it, but perhaps it triggers a series of scripts to run when it reboots into recovery? I haven't tried this myself, of course - perhaps it would work from an ADB console if it didn't work from the terminal emulator.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh yeah lol forgot about unmounting the sdcard from settings.

I tried to use parted from adb when partitioning of the sdcard for app2sd on the droid came up. I couldn't get it to work. It would always tell me parted wasn't found even though I had it in /system/xbin/ and could run it from terminal emulator. I just tried the parted file that you had found I. Moved it to /system/xbin/ and tried to run it from terminal and it says device not found? The parted I used to have would bring up options?

But anyway paragon is easy to use and will do what you want. I partitioned my sdcard with it but didn't like the size and used paragon to unpartition my sdcard.

Edit: it seems like its been so long since I partitioned my sdcard. But I seem to recall rom manager reboots into recovery to create the ext partitions.
    Last edited by 19DroidRage84; 06-28-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh yeah lol forgot about unmounting the sdcard from settings.

I tried to use parted from adb when partitioning of the sdcard for app2sd on the droid came up. I couldn't get it to work. It would always tell me parted wasn't found even though I had it in /system/xbin/ and could run it from terminal emulator. I just tried the parted file that you had found I. Moved it to /system/xbin/ and tried to run it from terminal and it says device not found? The parted I used to have would bring up options?

But anyway paragon is easy to use and will do what you want. I partitioned my sdcard with it but didn't like the size and used paragon to unpartition my sdcard.

Edit: it seems like its been so long since I partitioned my sdcard. But I seem to recall rom manager reboots into recovery to create the ext partitions.
    The way I would do it is by connecting the sd to my pc then going to my computer look for that drive (e) or (F) whatever then right click on it and click on format.

Have you try that?
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I just tried the parted file that you had found I. Moved it to /system/xbin/ and tried to run it from terminal and it says device not found? The parted I used to have would bring up options?
    Code:
    parted --help
    gives the help screen, Without any options, it's expecting a device node to come first.

I see no reason why using parted wouldn't work from the terminal, but I'm not going to try it out until I back up my SD card :-)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by motodroid34 View Post
    The way I would do it is by connecting the sd to my pc then going to my computer look for that drive (e) or (F) whatever then right click on it and click on format.

Have you try that?
    This will format the fat32 partition. A pc with windows won't recognize the ext partitions since they are linux partitions.

Haha Se7en. All that work just to see if it works from terminal! I'm impressed!
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by motodroid34 View Post

Have you try that?
    This will format the fat32 partition. A pc with windows won't recognize the ext partitions since they are linux partitions.

Haha Se7en. All that work just to see if it works from terminal! I'm impressed!
    Yeap you right.
    And now that I think about I did the same think so I will try to do it mu self some how today when I get home.
    Dont have any idea right now on how I will do that.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Try paragon partition manager 9. Google to find it for the excellent price of $0.00!
    I seem to be having the worst time finding this... 9 Seems to be an outdated version and they only have 11, which doesn't support 64 bit for free.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by compywiz View Post
    Try paragon partition manager 9. Google to find it for the excellent price of $0.00!
    I seem to be having the worst time finding this... 9 Seems to be an outdated version and they only have 11, which doesn't support 64 bit for free.
    Ill pm you
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    after backing up all you want to keep
    stick it in a micro Sd holder, the holder is a sd size card
    stick it in the computer, right click it -hit format, and select Fat32 as the type it will reformat the whole card eliminating all the current partitions, to one big 16 gig one
    simple thats it
    move you junk you saved back to the bigger formatted card
    Do it all now you may not be able to do it later
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Used linux and gparted, took 30 mins to download burn run complete, much better than wasting my time.

Thanks for your help guys.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links