DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are the Best Kernels and ROMS?

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

What are the Best Kernels and ROMS?

Im gonna Root today will be running 2.1 rooted thinking about going to 2.2 Froyo but not sure how to.lol..I would love to know what the best kernals are and ROMS? If possible pictures too so I can decide on who and what I wanna run hehehe.
    Rachel
    ~DroidDefDoes~
    Google Talk:
    rachelzdesignz@gmail.com

2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I go with trial and error. It took me forever to get cyanogen to work right on my phone though it is pretty. I favor team chaos roms personally, and usually use chevyno1 kernels. Bugless beast was pretty sweet too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I've been using the rooted stock 2.1 with Chevy's 5 slot low voltage 1ghz kernel. This is enough to give you all the main bells and whistles. Another advantage is you won't have to wipe everything you have now and start over. But if you want to go a little more crazy with theming and such, you could play with the full custom roms.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    What is the best religion?
    What is the best political party?
    Which text editor is best?
    What is better, Windows 7 or OSX?
    Butter side up or butter side down?
    Big Endian or Little Endian?
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    My suggestion -- every rom performs differently. Make a list of which roms you want to try. Make a backup and install your first choice. Run that particular rom for a few days or a week. Make notes regarding performance, battery life, setup, etc. Make a backup then install your next choice. After you've cycled through the list decide which rom performed best and met your needs. Then, install that particular backup.

Hope this helps.

Mike
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Agree. You need to be willing to play with different roms, kernels and themes. I have been happy with bugless beast, chevy kernels and the blackglass theme. Many, many good ones though.
    Rooted
    Ultimate Droid 2.4.0
    Linked to my iPad (Google and Apple together)
  7. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidDefDoes View Post
    Im gonna Root today will be running 2.1 rooted thinking about going to 2.2 Froyo but not sure how to.lol..I would love to know what the best kernals are and ROMS? If possible pictures too so I can decide on who and what I wanna run hehehe.
    Def agree with them. I've used Chevy, BB, and Kangerade and the latter worked best on my Droid. Of course, your Droid could be different. I also use a Chevy ulv 1.1 GHz kernel but run it at 800-900 MHz because my Droid likes that speed best. Jrummy works wonders with ROMs and usually replies pretty quickly if you message him with a question too! Bugless Beast works great too! You'll really just need to try different ones until you find what works with you and your phone best. Also, along with doing backups in Recovery, I'd download Titanium Backup from the market too..has worked great for me!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'd recommend reading this tutorial on overclocking: OverClocking 101

It covers most everything there is to know about overclocking, kernels, and SetCPU, which is a must have if you plan on overclocking.
  9. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donut Pirate View Post
    I'd recommend reading this tutorial on overclocking: OverClocking 101

It covers most everything there is to know about overclocking, kernels, and SetCPU, which is a must have if you plan on overclocking.
    +1 for SETCPU!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW Moto Droid + N900 ;)
    The previous posters really all have said very true and positive things.

2.1:
    I've used AdamZ's Smoked Glass ROMs. They are very stable 2.1 ROMs. Last 6.0.
    Hands down the best 2.1 ROM I used. (I tried Chevy's, I tried Jrummy...)

2.2 ("Froyo"):
    I've tried several including Jrummy's, and ChevyNo1's. My favorite for many weeks was SimplyStunning4.1. As of today I'm trying 4.2 only because I discovered that the "WiFi tether problem" was really my _very_old_ wifi tether being reinstalled courtesy of his scripts.

WHY I LIKE IT (in other words, since others have said "best" is subjective). I like the fact that I can restore ALL my apps and settings and desktop background and EVERYTHING except for widgets with one command (rstapps -c).

I LIKE the fact that he includes a kernel in the install, so you don't have to both flash a ROM AND a kernel... you just do one update.zip.

I like the fact that he understands the source code framework and works with it... and isn't rebranding or retheming someone else's work.

On a PHILOSOPHICAL and POLITICAL level I can tell you that IN MY OPINION the next ROM I will try is Sapphire, because CVPCS actually put their source code online in the true open-source way. That appeals to me. It means if I want to change something (I'm not that good yet) I can. They don't pretend there's smoke or mirrors or magic... just good honest teamwork, and lots of guys [and girls] working on problems.

WHY DOES IT MATTER: 1. Open source means it is something we can examine, ensure it does what it is supposed to and no more (not zombies, not malware, not phoning home... well except for deinstall/install remote stuff). 2. It means credit is given for TRUE innovation, not coloring someone else's coloring book. 3. You can make changes and SHARE THOSE back with those who contributed.

So... If you're newly rooted and you're asking my OPINION... I'd say try ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning. Try CVPCS Saphire. Try Team Chaos.

Those guys understand what they're doing. They don't say "oh oops. ok try that. oh sorry. ok try that." THAT is what being a dev [eloper] is all about... in my mind.

Regards

Ehud
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links