DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Tether from Froyo on Mac?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Cu

Wifi Tether from Froyo on Mac?

Hi, I have been trying to tether wifi on my mac but it never works. I'm wondering if mac just does not work with wifi tether from android or do I need to config to a certain setting?

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Wifi tethering works fine on my Mac. Which version are you using? Here's a link to the most recent version:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    Wifi tethering works fine on my Mac. Which version are you using? Here's a link to the most recent version:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Works great on mine using the one from the link. Shows up under devices listed below all the other wireless access points. The stock name shows as AndroidTether.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Cu
    Thanks JhankG for the link. I got it to work now. It doesn't work whenever I turn the access control on though :S Does yours work?
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I use a Mac Book Pro and like others, at times, I need to turn on the access control. You might want to try an app called Barnacle and see if you have better success.

Mike
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID

Tethering is working for me and my Mac!

I was able to get tethering to work from my DROID on my iMac and iPad. I have been trying to use Barnacle Wifi Tether but have had no luck. Seems there are many others having this issue as well. I'm currently rooted and running CyanogenMod Blue, Froyo. Apparently there are some issues (not compatible yet? correct kernel?) with Barnacle and 2.2. It was then I gave Wireless Tether a shot. After downloading and installing it, I changed a few basic setting under menu > setup. I enabled wifi-encryption and left the set-up method as Auto. I left the SSID name as the default (you can change this I'm sure, I just left it as the default for a trial run) and changed my password. I then started wifi tether and gave it a few seconds for my phone to show up in my networks, selected it, entered the password and connected without any issues at all. Once I was connected, in the Wireless Tether app, I went to went to menu > Access Control and toggled Enable on and then off. I was off and running! Same goes for the ipad. I had both the iMac and iPad connected at the same time and running with no issues at all.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL_DROID View Post
    I was able to get tethering to work from my DROID on my iMac and iPad. I have been trying to use Barnacle Wifi Tether but have had no luck. Seems there are many others having this issue as well. I'm currently rooted and running CyanogenMod Blue, Froyo. Apparently there are some issues (not compatible yet? correct kernel?) with Barnacle and 2.2. It was then I gave Wireless Tether a shot. After downloading and installing it, I changed a few basic setting under menu > setup. I enabled wifi-encryption and left the set-up method as Auto. I left the SSID name as the default (you can change this I'm sure, I just left it as the default for a trial run) and changed my password. I then started wifi tether and gave it a few seconds for my phone to show up in my networks, selected it, entered the password and connected without any issues at all. Once I was connected, in the Wireless Tether app, I went to went to menu > Access Control and toggled Enable on and then off. I was off and running! Same goes for the ipad. I had both the iMac and iPad connected at the same time and running with no issues at all.
    Cyanogen Mod doesn't have a ROM based on 2.2 yet.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    DOH! Sorry about that. You are most definitely correct. I messed around Cyanogen Mod right after I rooted but am now running JRummy Froyo Kangerade V1.1. Thanks for the correction!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    That was a winner... I had been trying o figure out why this wasn't working... and of course kept turning on the "Access Control." Anywho, thanks... Now to set up the WEP Encryption... hope that works.
  11. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Glad it worked for you.
    Mike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links