DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I want to learn to develop for Android...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

So I want to learn to develop for Android...

This is me: college kid, no developing experience whatsoever (unless you could a basic HTML course in like 9th grade... lol), relatively intelligent, interested in technology.

What do I need to learn?

I found a "java 101" article to read here: Learn Java from the ground up - JavaWorld

Is android just Java or is there any other kind of language..? I've heard something about C++? or is that part of Java?

As you can tell, I'm a noob lol.

Then I read that I need Eclipse (what does that do again?), which one should I get (I'm on a Mac): Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, or Eclipse Classic 3.6?

Is this a bad idea considering I know nothing? Like am in way over my head?

Any other ideas or links anyone can share?

Thanks for the help!

3. Johnly
    What you are about to do could last a lifetime! Congratulations! I have found dev forums like XDA to be rich with info....good luck, and make us an killer app huh?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by fichdak View Post
    This is me: college kid, no developing experience whatsoever (unless you could a basic HTML course in like 9th grade... lol), relatively intelligent, interested in technology.

What do I need to learn?

I found a "java 101" article to read here: Learn Java from the ground up - JavaWorld

Is android just Java or is there any other kind of language..? I've heard something about C++? or is that part of Java?

Then I read that I need Eclipse (what does that do again?), which one should I get (I'm on a Mac): Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, or Eclipse Classic 3.6?

Thanks for the help!
    I recommend buying a subscription to CommonsWare because it's basically 4 books in PDF format that start from the basics and go all the way to advanced. A single book costs as much as that subscription. Java is not C++.
    My Sig was Too Large..
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    @DroidConcepts
    Phone
    D1, D2, D3
    DroidForums.net Developer

What do I need to learn?

Thanks for the help!

it takes time, and its tricky at first, but it gets easier as you learn more.. good luck.!!

but, what kind of Development do you want to get into.? building ROMs, apps, Themes?
    Click Here for the Droid Concepts Web Site

Check out The Droid Concepts Roms By clicking the image below.!

If you would enjoy what we do please support us with a small donation if possible, we need some new devices..
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Android does use java for its api but theres A LOT more to developing an android app than knowing how to write in java. You need to be VERY familiar with the syntax and rules oj Java before starting an Android app. I'd recommend using Eclipse, download a basic learn java pdf from somewhere and go through it completely even all the basic stuff (focus on the Object Oriented nature of Java as thats whats extremely important about android). Next thing, once you're comfortable using java, learn the activity lifecycle of an android app, that will save you a lot of time trying to fix a problem with your app.

Some Tips:
    * Use xml for layouts, this will save you a lot of time when it comes to making an app upgradable.
    * Develop for the lowest SDK your app will support
    * NEVER let a service run when it doesn't have too, thats my biggest problem with a lot of really good apps on the market (slacker, tunewiki, news and weather refresh service etc.)
    * Don't forget permissions in the manifest

I've done a lot of app development for android over the past 6 months with Android Infinity (androidinfinity.com) so if you have any specific questions ask away.
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    @DroidConcepts
    Phone
    D1, D2, D3
    DroidForums.net Developer
    lol, johnly its nice to see that people use my ROMs..
    Click Here for the Droid Concepts Web Site

Check out The Droid Concepts Roms By clicking the image below.!

If you would enjoy what we do please support us with a small donation if possible, we need some new devices..
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I was checking out this thread and I would also like to develop some apps for android, and use my test subjects as guinea pigs. I only have experience with python but I was seeing that Java and C++ are pretty much the 2 languages to know in order to build a successful app. I have a lot of inspiration for apps that I haven't seen but could be in development. My biggest question is syncing the android software or phone with the radio in your car to stream music through your car speakers. Does this require additional hardware or is there a way to build an app around the idea of fooling the hardware the transmitter exist? I've got a lot of crazy ideas like this but this would really let me know there is hope for my craziness to be given to the android users. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I am also learning the Linux command line, and very familiar with windows. Is there a better OS for learning the programming/development side of android?
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

What do I need to learn?

Thanks for the help!

I'm actually in the same boat. Basically no programming experience, just out of college, and really interested in learning programming/specifically working with android.

My current course of action is following along with the Stanford Engineering Everywhere website, which offers several of their comp-sci class notes and lectures for free:

Stanford School of Engineering - Stanford Engineering Everywhere

There are a lot of online vids and lectures for learning programming, but this was the first one I found that actually used Java as the main language of the class to teach the intro programming concepts.

The first class is CS106A: Intro to Programming Methodology, and it has been pretty awesome so far. Since it's an intro to programming class that teaches java instead of many of the other languages used, it seemed like the best place to start.
  11. him
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    +1 here trying to learn as well. Computer science degree C, C++, Assembly. No java though. there is a guy on youtube he has over 100 vids all under 7 minutes going step by step on java programming starting out with how to get set up to develop and then on to writing code, and explaining syntax. It reminds me a bit of C++, but with any programming language syntax is going to be your friend and enemy. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links