DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Help Please...

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Help Please...

Ok so I would LOVE to root my droid and start running custom ROMS but my question is how do I go about doing so? Im following instructions from here Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog and Ive just finished with Step 1 and need to know how to do a back up so I dont loose my apps?...Im eyeing JRummys Froyo Kangrade V1.0 for my Droid so I guess my other question would be is do I need to intall the leaked 2.2 to run this ROM as well? How safe is ROOTING?
    Thanks for reading,Rachel

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    If you followed step one complete to the end then that's your back up right there. You've flashed a copy of your current set up in SPRecovery.

The instructions look pretty straight forward. Proceed to step 2. After you've actually rooted your Droid you can obtain a copy of Titanium which will back up all your apps for you from that point on. That's in the Market but you can't use it before you root.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok so if I decide to continue when I do onto step 2 do I need to Update and backup any files you wish to restore, this will wipe all data.? Im just trying to be as careful as I can.lol Do I need to back up in nandroid status? before I proceed?
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW Moto Droid + N900 ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidDefDoes View Post
    Ok so if I decide to continue when I do onto step 2 do I need to Update and backup any files you wish to restore,
    "You" wish to restore??? I don't know who you mean.

this will wipe all data.?
    When you wipe DATA you wipe all local settings.

Im just trying to be as careful as I can.lol
    lol???

Do I need to back up in nandroid status? before I proceed?
    Seriously, you don't know whether to do a backup... you should reconsider whether you should be rooting your phone. Between that concern and this thread topic... I would recommend you enjoy your phone as is.

E
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Im sorry what I mean is before I root in nandroid should I run a BackUp/Restore? so my phone backs up all files before I ROOT it?
    Im sorry if I confused anyone... I know what Im doing but want to make sure Im doing it correctly.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidDefDoes View Post
    Im sorry what I mean is before I root in nandroid should I run a BackUp/Restore? so my phone backs up all files before I ROOT it?
    Im sorry if I confused anyone... I know what Im doing but want to make sure Im doing it correctly.
    Don't worry. We will get you some assistance.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank you so so much!...I'll be patiently waiting
  9. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    You are right. You should probably back up everything from before you root, so you can restore to it for an easy unroot, if you ever so please, or if something goes wrong.

You should boot into recovery and click on backup/restore (sorry forgot it was this in SPRecovery... :P), advanced nandroid backup, check all the options, set a name for it, and then click perform backup. This will give you a backup of everything on your phone right now, unrooted, for you to restore if you want too.

After that you should be able to follow the rest of that guide to finish rooting your phone. Remember, if you restore that backup, it will unroot you.
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

-----------------------------------
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Read through post 13 of the first link in my signature.

rsdlite, sprecovery, backup with a full nandroid backup with a name that means something to you so you can find it later, flash a rom. Start with the stock froyo one linked in that thread for starters if you don't have a preference. Then back that up and try another rom of your choosing.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad

Links