DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious issue...can't figure out...bricked phone!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Serious issue...can't figure out...bricked phone!

I am running ONIX's Rom and had been having a hard time with nothing installing from the Market. The install button would gray out and nothing would happen. I tried to restore an earlier ROM that worked with wipe of data and cache and it didn't work, it continued to boot up in ONIX. I tried this a couple times. Then it suddenly got stuck in a boot loop on ONIX that I can't get out of. I have done battery pulls and tried to get into recovery (holding the power and pressing the X) and that isn't working. If I plug it into my usb on my computer, the phone isn't recognized so I'm stuck. What can I do? I'm really stuck.
    Droid or dopeyness....you decide

3. Anj
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted SNG
    Can you get into boot loader? If so (likely so), you're not bricked... just re-flash an sbf..
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Anj View Post
    Can you get into boot loader? If so (likely so), you're not bricked... just re-flash an sbf..

No...I can't get into anything. Nothing I have tried worked. Holding the power and the X won't get me into Recovery. I''ve tried to get into safe mode by holding the Power button and the keyboard scroll pad button. Nothing will work. It just keeps booting to the bootanimation screen and is stuck doing the same thing over and over.

How would I get into bootloader? I never had to get into so I don't know if I actually would be able to.

When I take the battery cover off, I see to the top left there is an opening with a white dot with a red cross on it. I have tried pressing that with a pencil, thinking maybe that was some sort of factory reset. Any idea on what that does?
    Last edited by DroidFan88; 06-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    i know this is silly but have to make sure, but you are holding the "up" on the d-pad button right? and "up" being in the landscape position? (i.e. "right" in the portrait position)

if you hold that down, then hold down the power button, after a second or two, you should see your screen flicker a little (if you're not in the sunlight!) that's when you release and the bootloader should load
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-21-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    i know this is silly but have to make sure, but you are holding the "up" on the d-pad button right? and "up" being in the landscape position? (i.e. "right" in the portrait position)

if you hold that down, then hold down the power button, after a second or two, you should see your screen flicker a little (if you're not in the sunlight!) that's when you release and the bootloader should load

I wasn't holding the d-pad in the right direction, I just did it and got the bootloader. Where can I get the .sbf file?

thanks for the help!
  7. Anj
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted SNG
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidFan88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post

I wasn't holding the d-pad in the right direction, I just did it and got the bootloader. Where can I get the .sbf file?

thanks for the help!
    http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/h...0-1-2-1-a.html

Should have the 2.0.1 sbf... and directions on how to do so. From there, get dm updater and get your phone rooted and all that jazz.
    Last edited by Anj; 06-21-2010 at 11:48 AM.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    to flash back to 2.0.1: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...t-ikithme.html

2.1 isn't automatically updating over the air for a lot of people any more, so if that's the case for you, here's a link to install the 2.1 update manually: [How-To] Force the Official Android 2.1 Update for the Motrola Droid (ESE81) - Android Forums

edit: if all of that goes fine, you should be back to good ol' stock 2.1
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-21-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Thumbs up

Thanks to both of you guys! I really appreciate the help. I haven't done it yet since I'm still at work but I will take care of this when I get home on my computer. You have pointed me in the right direction and with the instructions and links you gave me, I should be good to go and will be back rooting and hacking my droid once again.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidFan88 View Post
    When I take the battery cover off, I see to the top left there is an opening with a white dot with a red cross on it. I have tried pressing that with a pencil, thinking maybe that was some sort of factory reset. Any idea on what that does?
    That's a moisture sensor - if the white thing touches water, the crosses disappear, and the manufacturer will know to deny your warranty because you dropped your phone in the toilet.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    mike91908
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    just remember... if you can boot at ALL... even boot loops, you are not bricked. you have to REALLY jack up something to brick it... as long as you have an SBF file, you will never br bricked. and as long as you can get into either recovery mode or bootloader you are safe...
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM10 Nightly
    Stonedroid theme by mike919
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links