DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's next after I root? Lots of questions

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

What's next after I root? Lots of questions

I am most interested in rooting my droid to speed things up. I plan to follow the steps in this link:

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

However, once I root what's next? I think the next step is installing a custom rom, however are all the kinks with froyo worked out? I know there were some issues w/ bugless beast froyo. What do you suggest I install, 2.1 or 2.2?

If I decide to go w/ 2.2 then I will install flash 10.1

What's the difference between a ROM and a kernal? Do I select a custom ROM, then pick a kernal, whether it's 800mhz, 900mhz, 1Ghz? By selecting one of these kernals is that what's meant by overclocking? How do I make sure things don't run too hot?

What theme would you suggest selecting?

What's the talk about basebands? Do I need to select a baseband too?

If, after I root I have to reprogram the phone of course I don't want to call verizon. I read that I could do the following:

Go into Settings -> About Phone -> Status and check if your MIN and/or phone number are 0000... ones. In any case if it doesn't match your phone number, dial ##7764726, enter 000000 at the password prompt and set your MIN and MDN to your 10-digit phone number. Phone will reboot, dial the *228, then either use 1 or 2 to re-activate.

Could I also use this trick: Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

then do I dial *228, select option 1 and go from there?

Will either of these 2 work?

Thanks in advance. I'm going to be rooting very soon and I appreciate all the help w/ these questions.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    +1. Phones arriving tomorrow and I've been looking into all the same stuff.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

fairly new answers some of the questions

Quote Originally Posted by otter34 View Post
    I am most interested in rooting my droid to speed things up. I plan to follow the steps in this link:

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

However, once I root what's next? I think the next step is installing a custom rom, however are all the kinks with froyo worked out? I know there were some issues w/ bugless beast froyo. What do you suggest I install, 2.1 or 2.2?

What's the difference between a ROM and a kernal? Do I select a custom ROM, then pick a kernal, whether it's 800mhz, 900mhz, 1Ghz? By selecting one of these kernals is that what's meant by overclocking? How do I make sure things don't run too hot?

If, after I root I have to reprogram the phone of course I don't want to call verizon. I read that I could do the following:

Go into Settings -> About Phone -> Status and check if your MIN and/or phone number are 0000... ones. In any case if it doesn't match your phone number, dial ##7764726, enter 000000 at the password prompt and set your MIN and MDN to your 10-digit phone number. Phone will reboot, dial the *228, then either use 1 or 2 to re-activate.

Could I also use this trick: Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks in advance. I'm going to be rooting very soon and I appreciate all the help w/ these questions.
    I am fairly new myself. First, if you are going to root, be ready to dig into these forums and other areas. You have to be interested in working on your droid.

The guide that you listed on droid-life.com worked well for me.

You can go with the stock rom (rooted), or look at others. I use the BB Froyo V0.1, without significant problems. A lot of noise on the forums that does not seem to be a problem for me. There are other good ROMs out there, though. Be ready to experiment.

Once you are rooted, get ROM manager installed. It helps changing ROMs.

Very basically (experienced people, do not flame me), the kernel (with an e) is the core controlling software for the operating system. Handles the task switching, memory management, etc. Also handles clock control on the droid. The ROM is all the other software that goes with making the droid work well (kind of like basic level #2).

You pick your kernel by selecting voltage, top-end speed. There is a very good thread on overclocking at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ing-101-a.html. A lot of good kernels out there. Once you have installed ROM, installed kernel, install SetCPU to set the top end speed, profiles, etc. The same thread above has info on SetCPU.

Activiation, honestly I do not remember what I did. follow the droid-life link I do not remember any problems.
    Rooted
    Ultimate Droid 2.4.0
    Linked to my iPad (Google and Apple together)
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

I am by no means an expert but you have pretty much nailed it on the head about rooting. Your kernel is for overclocking. You'll want setcpu in order to adjust your mhz/ghz level. I'm running the beast froyo without any problems so I don't know why you have heard bad things. The baseband is suppose to bring your phone up to speed with verizons towers. I personally, and this is just me speaking, have had worse reception anytime after updating the baseband but it is your choice. I don't see a need to bypass the reactivation at all. I seriously doubt you can get in trouble from verizon for reactivating your phone. I have done it numerous times without any ill effects. That is about the extent of my knowledge when it comes to this stuff so good luck! Oh and by the way be warned... once you root you will never want to own a stock droid again!!!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbaker0011 View Post

I am fairly new myself. First, if you are going to root, be ready to dig into these forums and other areas. You have to be interested in working on your droid.

The guide that you listed on droid-life.com worked well for me.

You can go with the stock rom (rooted), or look at others. I use the BB Froyo V0.1, without significant problems. A lot of noise on the forums that does not seem to be a problem for me. There are other good ROMs out there, though. Be ready to experiment.

Once you are rooted, get ROM manager installed. It helps changing ROMs.

Very basically (experienced people, do not flame me), the kernel (with an e) is the core controlling software for the operating system. Handles the task switching, memory management, etc. Also handles clock control on the droid. The ROM is all the other software that goes with making the droid work well (kind of like basic level #2).

You pick your kernel by selecting voltage, top-end speed. There is a very good thread on overclocking at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ing-101-a.html. A lot of good kernels out there. Once you have installed ROM, installed kernel, install SetCPU to set the top end speed, profiles, etc. The same thread above has info on SetCPU.

Activiation, honestly I do not remember what I did. follow the droid-life link I do not remember any problems.
    Thanks very much. I'll check out the overclocking thread
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

I am by no means an expert but you have pretty much nailed it on the head about rooting. Your kernel is for overclocking. You'll want setcpu in order to adjust your mhz/ghz level. I'm running the beast froyo without any problems so I don't know why you have heard bad things. The baseband is suppose to bring your phone up to speed with verizons towers. I personally, and this is just me speaking, have had worse reception anytime after updating the baseband but it is your choice. I don't see a need to bypass the reactivation at all. I seriously doubt you can get in trouble from verizon for reactivating your phone. I have done it numerous times without any ill effects. That is about the extent of my knowledge when it comes to this stuff so good luck! Oh and by the way be warned... once you root you will never want to own a stock droid again!!!
    Thanks. So instead of installing a baseband I can just dial *228 and select option 2 to update roaming?

I didn't want to bypass the activation if I had to reactivate. I was just worried that I might have to reactivate and wanted to do that w/out involving verizon.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

Thanks. So instead of installing a baseband I can just dial *228 and select option 2 to update roaming?

I didn't want to bypass the activation if I had to reactivate. I was just worried that I might have to reactivate and wanted to do that w/out involving verizon.

FYI you have to reactivate every time you switch roms. Verizon will never know that you are activating a rooted droid.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    [/quote]FYI you have to reactivate every time you switch roms. Verizon will never know that you are activating a rooted droid.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh, thanks! Do I have to call them to reactivate? Or do I just dial *228 or do just bypass the droid screen, then dial *228 and press 1?
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    FYI you have to reactivate every time you switch roms. Verizon will never know that you are activating a rooted droid.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh, thanks! Do I have to call them to reactivate? Or do I just dial *228 or do just bypass the droid screen, then dial *228 and press 1?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if when you reboot your phone after rooting you are asked to activate your phone, then click on activate (it automatically calls *228 for you) and press option 1. It is all automated and verizon will not know that you rooted your phone. I have rooted several phones and just about all the time when I flash a new ROM I am prompted to activate. So if verizon did know, I would be busted. LOL

Also, you asked earlier how to revert back to stock should you need to take the phone into verizon. Here is a good guide to follow not only for rooting but to unroot.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html

Good luck. If you need some help, pm me and I would be happy to help you.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    All those long instructions that you typed up in your original post are completely unnecessary, once the phone reboots it will bring you to the activation screen just as it did when you originally got the phone. You can try the bypass trick but I found that if you do that it wont restore any of your previously downloaded apps.

What KenBaker said about the kernel vs rom is pretty much correct. Think of the kernel as the brain of the OS (deals with memory/cpu control and acts as an interface between hardware and software) and the rom as the body of the OS.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links