DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How to switch to a new kernel

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

How to switch to a new kernel

I'm using BB 1.1 1.2ghz IV rom and I want to switch to P3Droid Kernels using rom manager. I get it downloaded but then once it finishes it asks me to backup and wipe data. I thought switching kernels didn't require any of that. Any help?
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    It's not really required,it's more of a safety measure in case something goes wrong.If you're just changing kernels or installing a theme, do not wipe data or it won't boot and you should always do a back up!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Skip wipe when installing kernels, only wipe when installing a new rom, and just make a backup if you don't have a recent backup, those are only options you don't have to check them in.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Skip wipe when installing kernels, only wipe when installing a new rom, and just make a backup if you don't have a recent backup, those are only options you don't have to check them in.
    Do exactly what ole 55 says. Do not check those options if you are installing a kernel. Those are options for loading new/different roms.

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by tu3218 View Post
    I'm using BB 1.1 1.2ghz IV rom and I want to switch to P3Droid Kernels using rom manager. I get it downloaded but then once it finishes it asks me to backup and wipe data. I thought switching kernels didn't require any of that. Any help?
    It always asks that when you try to install something through the Rom Manager. I would make a backup just in case you install a kernel that doesn't boot up .... it does happen .... and then you could just restore it to before you installed the kernel. You don't have to do the wipe though so make sure that's unchecked.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Do exactly what ole 55 says. Do not check those options if you are installing a kernel. Those are options for loading new/different roms.

Good luck.
    Is a kernal like a new part of the program that was missing in an earlier build, a patch perhaps? I see there were kernels for wifi, etc over this past week and then I see that one of the ROM's has wifi. I'm struggling to learn whether or not I need to install kernals after I root or if installing a custom ROM of some sort will take care of everything?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by otter34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post

Good luck.
    Is a kernal like a new part of the program that was missing in an earlier build, a patch perhaps? I see there were kernels for wifi, etc over this past week and then I see that one of the ROM's has wifi. I'm struggling to learn whether or not I need to install kernals after I root or if installing a custom ROM of some sort will take care of everything?
    Custom kernels with wi-fi fixes are usually included automatically with ROMs that include a wi-fi fix. The only non-kernel wi-fi fix I have seen so far is the wi-fi fix for NexFro 1.0.1 ROM.

Most custom ROMs will include a custom kernel that has at least some of these features.

Custom kernels generally provide the following enhancements to a ROM:
    1) The voltage provided to the cpu and the clock speed at which the cpu runs.
    2) The number of slots that a CPU can be throttled up/down to (usually 5 or 7).
    3) Support for additional filesystems not included in the default kernels (ext4, and CIFS being prime examples).
    4) Support for JIT and Apps2SD (in 2.1 kernels).
    5) Wi-fi tethering support.
    6) Various tweaks to manage battery consumption.

Hope this explains some of it. The most I've had to do when installing a new kernel is wipe the cache, but I only do that if the new kernel bootloops, if it still bootloops after that, I try a kernel with either less default overclock, or more voltage.

-Mike
    Last edited by mcapozzi; 06-15-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Links