DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible: Froyo Maps fixes

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid, Galaxy Nexus

Possible: Froyo Maps fixes

Seems like it might be based on if you installed Froyo using CW or SP, but you can always try both fixes no matter how you installed.
    See if this works and let us know.

Installed via CW:(credit-mrZoSo)
    Using Root Explorer I did a search for maps
    I deleted:
    /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk
    /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps

If you see it in /system/app/Maps.apk, move it out to your sdcard

Rebooted phone
    Installed Maps using the apk just moved to sdcard
    I ran maps and played in it for a minute, joined Latitude also from within Maps, just to make sure it worked and closed it.
    Then went in to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All, tap on Maps, tap Clear data, tap Uninstall
    Went to Market and re-installed from there.

I did notice that after it installed through Market, Maps.apk does not show in /system/app or anywhere else, the only apk showing is /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk

Hope this helps, might have to do it a couple times, not sure. Seems to me the maps that is installed in the Froyo ROM is scrambled a little? for lack of better words, who knows,,,heh

Installed via SP:(credit-tanked)
    Now after my install of Froyo: Maps wasn't accessible, I couldn't install it from the market, and wasn't in the Settings->Applications->Manage applications menu.
    Once you mount your device with read-write access (with the adb) and give adb root privileges (once again, with the adb), you must edit the /data/system/packages.xml file. There is an entry that looks something like:
    Code:
    <shared-user name="com.google.android.apps.maps" userId="10028">
    <sigs count="1">
    <cert index="13" />
    </sigs>
    <perms>
    <item name="com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT" />
    <item name="android.permission.USE_CREDENTIALS" />
    <item name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
    <item name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <item name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
    <item name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
    <item name="android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS" />
    <item name="android.permission.READ_CONTACTS" />
    <item name="android.permission.CALL_PHONE" />
    <item name="com.google.android.apps.maps.permission.PUSH_MESSAGE" />
    <item name="android.permission.WRITE_CONTACTS" />
    <item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH" />
    <item name="com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES" />
    <item name="android.permission.DISABLE_KEYGUARD" />
    <item name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
    <item name="com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH.local" />
    <item name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <item name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
    <item name="android.permission.MANAGE_ACCOUNTS" />
    <item name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
    <item name="android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO" />
    <item name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <item name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    </perms>
    </shared-user>
    Remove this entry. Put the packages.xml file back on to your Droid and then restart. Then you should be able to install Maps from the market.

Here is rough step by step guide
    Note: I am using a linux machine, hence no .exe after 'adb'. The commands should be very similar in Windows.
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb root
    adb shell rm /data/app/Maps.apk
    adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.xml
    (now edit packages.xml with your favorite text editor and remove the maps entry)
    adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
    adb reboot
    Just remember that the packages.xml file will end up in whatever folder you are executing the adb command from.
    mrZoSo

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I used root explorer to remove Maps.apk from system and I deleted /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps then copied over the packages.xml file and used my computer to delete the entry. Replaced the old packages.xml with the new one and rebooted and install from market was successful. Thank you very much for the steps!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jrodizkool01 View Post
    I used root explorer to remove Maps.apk from system and I deleted /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps then copied over the packages.xml file and used my computer to delete the entry. Replaced the old packages.xml with the new one and rebooted and install from market was successful. Thank you very much for the steps!

question. was maps not working or loaded at all on your phone? also, where did you get the new packages.xml you said you replaced?

tia
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by J*Bishop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jrodizkool01 View Post

question. was maps not working or loaded at all on your phone? also, where did you get the new packages.xml you said you replaced?

tia
    Actually Maps was working perfectly for me but I couldn't update it in the market successfully. The packages.xml file was located in /data/system/packages.xml and using root explorer I just copied that file to my sd card then connected my phone to the computer and edited the file myself using word pad then saved it. I copied my new edited file to my sd card and used root explorer again to replace (overwrite) the old xml file with the new one.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    ok thanks. i'l try that now.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D generation X
    [QUOTE=mrZoSo;530478]Seems like it might be based on if you installed Froyo using CW or SP, but you can always try both fixes no matter how you installed.

I deleted:

Rebooted phone
    I ran maps and played in it for a minute, joined Latitude also from within Maps, just to make sure it worked and closed it.
    Then went in to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All, tap on Maps, tap Clear data, tap Uninstall

I did notice that after it installed through Market, Maps.apk does not show in /system/app or anywhere else, the only apk showing is /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk

Hope this helps, might have to do it a couple times, not sure. Seems to me the maps that is installed in the Froyo ROM is scrambled a little? for lack of better words, who knows,,,heh

ok im having problems with maps. i do not have either of these files on my phone, i searched root explorer

neither. i took maps.apk out of system/app. ive tried reflashing the 2.2 rom from scratch (and what a pain it was to set everything back, which i shouldnt have done until i fix this map issue) and i still cant install maps and still havent had maps. it doesnt show up in my app drawer, market wont let me install it, pilotcharles linked me to a replacement maps.zip and that didnt work. i had maps.apk on my sd and tried to install form there. didnt work. tried placing it in data/app and installing from there. i am out of ideas. i keep seeing the second beta release fixed maps and the led flashlight, but neither are fixed for me and ive flashed the beta 2 3 times now. last night i deleted all my backups, wiped, downloaded 2.2 from the More Froyo thread, and still maps.apk only showed in root under system/app. not in drawer, wouldnt install, tried everything i already listed above again, and just keep getting app not installed. not to be dramatic, but should i quit my job, burn my house down, move out of the country and trade faces with someone? im not sure what else i could try. i mean a frswh start didnt even work, and im tired of trying that and having to redownload everything etc. ugh!
    Thunderbolt here
    X passed to Jess
    Droid also here but retired after hard miles to the land of experimentation and mutilation
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    [quote=Shelooga;536729]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrZoSo View Post
    Seems like it might be based on if you installed Froyo using CW or SP, but you can always try both fixes no matter how you installed.

I deleted:

Rebooted phone

ok im having problems with maps. i do not have either of these files on my phone, i searched root explorer

neither. i took maps.apk out of system/app. ive tried reflashing the 2.2 rom from scratch (and what a pain it was to set everything back, which i shouldnt have done until i fix this map issue) and i still cant install maps and still havent had maps. it doesnt show up in my app drawer, market wont let me install it, pilotcharles linked me to a replacement maps.zip and that didnt work. i had maps.apk on my sd and tried to install form there. didnt work. tried placing it in data/app and installing from there. i am out of ideas. i keep seeing the second beta release fixed maps and the led flashlight, but neither are fixed for me and ive flashed the beta 2 3 times now. last night i deleted all my backups, wiped, downloaded 2.2 from the More Froyo thread, and still maps.apk only showed in root under system/app. not in drawer, wouldnt install, tried everything i already listed above again, and just keep getting app not installed. not to be dramatic, but should i quit my job, burn my house down, move out of the country and trade faces with someone? im not sure what else i could try. i mean a frswh start didnt even work, and im tired of trying that and having to redownload everything etc. ugh!
    Try the method involving the packages.xml file. it was the only way for me to fix my maps issues.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quoting the same thing multiple times is making this thread hard to read.

OP, thanks for the tip!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D generation X
    Try the method involving the packages.xml file. it was the only way for me to fix my maps issues.[/quote]

thats way out of my league. thats like telling pat burrell to pitch like steven strausburg.
    well depsite my girlfriend complaining about me spending all of our lunch date on my phone, i did. and i flashed 2.2 yet again after a wipe and what do you know? maps is fixed. of course the flashlight still doesnt work, but thats hardly worth bothering. and when i come back to the forum to post that ive suceeded, i see petes got a 2.2 out... now what
    Thunderbolt here
    X passed to Jess
    Droid also here but retired after hard miles to the land of experimentation and mutilation
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    i edited the xml file but I still get that installation was unsuccessful....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links