DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I'm Back! v2 Linux SDK/ADB auto installer

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon

I'm Back! v2 Linux SDK/ADB auto installer

Well I had some personal issues to deal with and kinda fell off my projects I was trying to get started/ finished. One of which was a java based gui installer with a bunch of extras for all os's.

Unfortunatly I haven't gotten far enough in my learning java book, lol, but I did update my script a little bit, tweaked a few spots..etc. It's still a bash script though =(

Note this should work with all current android phones (some new ones I need to add later though) It was also primarily for ubuntu based distros, gnome/kde doesn't matter. I did try to make a fedora / rpm system that worked too but I never got to testing it so it may not work. Ubuntu people will work just fine assuming your system is somewhat up to date. I made this on the lucid beta and final on lucid kubuntu. just so you know what to expect. Oh and don't worry about libs. if you are 32bit already your ok. If you are on a 64 bit system, it will check and auto download the 32bit libs for you.

First Install directions.

1. of course download the script.

2. plug in your phone with debugging on. (don't mount though)

3. run script: Make sure it's executable (chmod +x filename) and then to run just type: sudo ./scriptname.sh obviously scriptname.sh should be changed to the real file name.

Then watch it go!

it will autodownload the sdk, copy to the final dir, unzip, rename, add to global path, add a udev rule for usb based on your user login and phone id from what it reads at the start (which is why your phone has to be plugged in first), then it restarts udev and you should be golden.

4. unplug then replug the phone into the computer (just to make sure it's using the new usb dev rules)

5. try typing: adb devices or adb shell. It should automatically kick in saying starting adb server or deamon... you don't or shouldn't have to start it manually. If it didn't work you may have to reboot for the new Path and rules to take effect. then replug phone again and try adb once more.

Thats it! if you have issues just send an email or pm to me (email is in the program after it finishes, which is also my paypal if you wish to donate, not required, I'm just happy to help)

Your sdk folder is /usr/local/androidsdk (ie adb is in/usr/local/androidsdk/tools/adb)

PLEASE NOTE THAT USING THIS MEANS YOU AGREE TO ALL TERMS OF SERVICE BY GOOGLE FOR USING THIS SDK... putting that out there since I kinda by passed that stupid yes or no button. (hope I don't get into trouble, lol).

FILE DOWNLOADS HERE:
    Mediafire link: linux_sdk_adb-installer_v2.sh
    sendspace link: Download linux_sdk_adb-installer_v2.sh from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Enjoy! I hope to make this a more comprehensive installer once I get some more java knowledge under my belt.
    Last edited by LrdElderon; 06-01-2010 at 09:10 PM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

I posted in your older post

I posted my expierence in your older post, If you read my onformation can you assist. Thanks
    DROiD X, 2.3.3 Liquid 2.6 (CM7)

Best Rom's to Date: Liguid 2.6 & OMFGB 1.3.1

Believe in Open Source!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Nice

I got everything functioning. Adb is nice once you learn how to get around in it.
    Nice Script!

A+
    DROiD X, 2.3.3 Liquid 2.6 (CM7)

Best Rom's to Date: Liguid 2.6 & OMFGB 1.3.1

Believe in Open Source!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Nice job man, it really works fine, saves me a lot of time compared from the normal method. Again great job.
    www.androidfrontier.com
    twitter: @androidfrontier / @earaiden
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Wildfire
    Thank you very much for that tut man !

Something that could come handy :
    If typing adb shell or adb device doesn't work, try typing :
    # /etc/init.d/udev restart
    # service udev restart
    Worked for me, didn't have to reboot.