DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Noob overclocking question

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Noob overclocking question

Hello all,

I have a simple question for you all, and I apologize if this has been answered a million times. I have a Motorola Droid running Bugless Beast on 2.1 and I want to experiment with overclocking it. My question is simple, where do I start?

I have seen videos online with overclocked Droids where they are running an app that lets them adjust the clock speed. What is that app, and is that all I need? The reason I ask is that I saw on the Bugless Beast thread there are overclocked kernels. I guess I am sort of unclear what these kernels really do. Do they overclock it to a fixed speed, or do they allow it to be overclocked up to a certain speed (based on the kernel selected/installed)? Do I need an overclocked kernel to overclock, or do I simply need an app to change the frequency?

Thanks in advance!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    I believe they allow it to be OC'd up to certain speeds.

The app your looking for is on the market and called setcpu. It's like 1.99 for it

The cool thing about it is you can set the clock speeds for other situations as well like when your phone sleeps and it's charging. So since your not using your phone at those times usually down clock it and get better battery life.
    Android does where iPhone doesn't. Droid can where Backflip shouldn't
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So does that mean that a prerequisite to setcpu is to have an OC'd kernel with a frequency greater than or equal to the max speed I want to OC to?

Thanks!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    Yes. Like, I rooted with the stock 2.1 but wasn't able to OC any faster than what was already set in stone for it, I had to flash to something to allow it to OC faster.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...overclock.html

I actually just started a thread about this last night to get info about it. Maybe it'll get you in the right direction
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, if that is correct than I only have one more question. The kernels on the bugless beast thread than do not actually overclock the CPU, rather they allow it to be overclocked to a certain point. Is this correct?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cpuwhiz22 View Post
    Ok, if that is correct than I only have one more question. The kernels on the bugless beast thread than do not actually overclock the CPU, rather they allow it to be overclocked to a certain point. Is this correct?
    I believe so. I know theres a few where it'll manage your CPU speed for you, I can't recall which ones they were tho, I don't think bugless beast was one of them but don't take that in as fact.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, so here's where I am at. I downloaded setcpu, and I also downloaded the 1000MHz kernel from the Bugless Beast thread. I installed set CPU, and then afterward I installed the update.zip for the 1000MHz kernel. After rebooting though I don't think it changed anything. When I run set CPU it is still showing a max of 600 MHz. Any ideas?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BABY!
    When you installed SetCPU, make sure you select "autodetect"... do not pick the phone type...
    GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks to all of you. It is working now. The two things that were wrong were that I had an old version of setCPU, and also I had in that old version selected the Motorola Droid from the list at the first run. I now have the most recent version of setCPU, and when I installed it I selected automatic and all is working great.

Thanks!

Links