DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashing Overclock Kernels = Loss of Root

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Flashing Overclock Kernels = Loss of Root

I'm using the stock 2.1 which I rooted myself. I have busybox installed, su and superuser.apk. I definitely have root. Root apps prompt for permissions. However when I tried flashing an overclock kernel to flash_image, the device hangs at the Motorola logo boot screen. When I flash an overclock kernel .zip renamed "update" (such as bekit) applications lose root access, and I can't issue root commands in the terminal emulator, yet I can still be root through adb. This is obviously a problem, because even though I am clearly overclocked, I can't control it with SetCPU because it won't get root!

I am wiping data and doing advanced nandroid backups between each attempt. Currently, I'm using rooted, stock 2.1 with no overclock.

It's obviously something in the Bekit file, I just don't know what it could be. For the manual flash_image method, there must be something incompatible within the boot.img.

Any ideas?

(PS - I'm not looking for a solution to overclock, but a little insight into this particular situation. I am well aware that I can flash a custom ROM.)
    Last edited by Dudeicus_Maximus; 05-25-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: one more thing...

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Weird, try un-installing and re-installing SetCPU, maybe the superuser whitelist is kernel dependent.

I have an app (I'm using BB v1.0 with a BeKit 1Ghz kernel) called Superuser Permissions that contains a whitelist of apps that I have allowed root access. I goofed the first time I ran SetCPU and denied it root, so I had to go into the Superuser Permissions app and I could change/remove the accidental "deny".

-Mike
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Doid
    i'm rooted stock 2.1, overclocked, and i've switched from chevy's kernels to p3droids kernels with no loss of root whatsoever. i tried flashing bekit's once, but they wouldn't work, not sure why, either because i'm stock rom, or because i was using sprecovery.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I tried reinstalling SetCPU, no go. I'll try more overclock kernels. Either way I would still love to find out exactly what it is that's either disabling, replacing, or breaking my root.

--
    I thought maybe removing /system/xbin (containing the "pete" file) since I associate that directory with su and flash_image would help, but it does absolutely nothing. It's obviously something within the image that breaks root. Maybe I should just ask Bekit himself... though I'm sure he would suggest that I use his ROM. =) Which is fine, I don't think anything is wrong with it. I just prefer simple, basic stuff with no pre-added or removed packages. I wish I was just better at programming so I could build my own overclocked kernel for my phone. I just don't know where to start.

edit: Oh yeah... How to compile your own kernel
    Last edited by Dudeicus_Maximus; 05-25-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: found something...
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Doid
    have you tried going back to p3droids?

how did you even get bekits to flash? are you using sprecovery?
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by brochaos View Post
    have you tried going back to p3droids?

how did you even get bekits to flash? are you using sprecovery?
    For some reason I thought Bekit and Bugless Beast were associated some how, but I guess I got confused because people mention flashing Bekits kernels to Bugless Beast. So no, Bekits didn't work for me.

The P3 links I've seen are dead. They're on ROM Manager but I would rather not pay for an application that does what I've been doing myself for months on my old phone (Droid Eris).

I tried building my own but got errors while creating the config file and issuing the make command, and I'm also having problems getting adb in Ubuntu to work with the Droid (works on the Eris, and Windows adb works fine), and I've been at this for like a day and a half... so I gave up.

BUT... Chevy's kernel is working great so far! No root issues or anything. But it's only been an hour or so, I'm hoping there are no force closes or temperature problems in the future.
    Last edited by Dudeicus_Maximus; 05-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    The kernel should have NOTHING to do with superuser permissions. Whatever you did was something else, possibly unrelated.

Go to a terminal prompt and type "su" and see what it says. If you get a # prompt or a dialog popup asking for permissions, root is working fine.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    i've rooted 2.1 and the only oc kernels i've gotten to work are p3's and Chevy's - bekits doesn't like stock root
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    The kernel should have NOTHING to do with superuser permissions. Whatever you did was something else, possibly unrelated.

Go to a terminal prompt and type "su" and see what it says. If you get a # prompt or a dialog popup asking for permissions, root is working fine.
    Well, it is related. I did an advanced nandroid backup before flashing a Bugless archive containing the overclock kernel and all apps had root. Immediately after flashing, like I said, apps lose root access. Don't tell me it didn't happen. It has happened, I watched it happen... I saw it happen, don't tell me it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Dudeicus_Maximus; 05-26-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Bugless, not Bekit
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    it didn't happen

j/k - that exact thing happens to me whenever i try and flash a bekit kernel on a stock root (only tried twice, but still), so clearly bekit doesn't like rooted stock/su for some reason

out of curiousity Dudeicus, are you running a stock "rom" (like Pete's or Woody's) or did you push superuser to OTA 2.1?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links