DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roms voiding warranty?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter_454 View Post
    Go for it you will prob need to do this sometime if your going to own a moto droid,its not bad theres lots of help if you get stuck.

Heres the link
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...t-ikithme.html
    Won't this do?
    http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/unroot-back-to-stock/
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ThunderCrap lol
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter_454 View Post
    Go for it you will prob need to do this sometime if your going to own a moto droid,its not bad theres lots of help if you get stuck.

Heres the link
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...t-ikithme.html
    Won't this do?
    Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid
    I have no idea about that one...I know that the link i posted for you will take you back to stock without the techs knowing you was ever rooted.

Also if you get a new phone you will lose all your apps,so mount your droid and drag all your folders to your desk top,that way when you get your new phone you can put them back on your new sdcard.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by shooter_454; 05-25-2010 at 07:09 AM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I say go for it! It's something new to learn. *says the man who can't even get his SDK to work yet lol.* Go for it non the less!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Roms voiding warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by 0r!0n R364rd13$$
    I say go for it! It's something new to learn. *says the man who can't even get his SDK to work yet lol.* Go for it non the less!
    Seriously? Are you telling him to do something that could get him in trouble with verizon when there are many ways to avoid doing this? Anyways, (dont take my word for this cuz im not completly sure it will work) but i dont see why just finding the update.zip for the 2.1 ota and installing it wouldnt work. Just make sure you make a backup and wipe data/cache first.
  5. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    What's the worst they can say to you if they suspect that you've rooted and then returned to stock??... say No?...
    Then you're exactly where you're at now... so nothing to lose Bro...
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I told you exactly how to solve your problem.....
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmart95 View Post
    i dont see why just finding the update.zip for the 2.1 ota and installing it wouldnt work. Just make sure you make a backup and wipe data/cache first.
    the OTA update will not remove/replace SPRecovery (or Clockwork whatever he's using) so if/when the tech try's to run an update or just does a factory reset they will see the phone has been modified

Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    What's the worst they can say to you if they suspect that you've rooted and then returned to stock??... say No?...
    On the contrary there have been several reports that VZW new 'official' policy with rooted Droids is to note your account and (at the CS managers discretion) void your contract. At the very least he will loose ALL future repair service including the possibly loosing his insurance coverage (i.e. he will be stuck with the phone with NO way to get a new one).

OP, Just take your time with any of the walk-troughs using .sbf and you should be fine.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post
    I told you exactly how to solve your problem.....
    And that's exactly what I plan on doing. I was just wondering about the alternative method. When (or if) they decide to give me a new phone will they either mail it to me or give me a new one right then? I hope I get a new phone that day so I don't have to go home and root my phone again so I can enjoy it until I get another phone then root that one.

And thanks for all your help everyone.
  9. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    On the contrary there have been several reports that VZW new 'official' policy with rooted Droids is to note your account and (at the CS managers discretion) void your contract. At the very least he will loose ALL future repair service including the possibly loosing his insurance coverage (i.e. he will be stuck with the phone with NO way to get a new one).

OP, Just take your time with any of the walk-troughs using .sbf and you should be fine.
    Yes, he should follow the suggestion to unroot back to stock... but he was sounding skiddish of even trying and was thinking of staying with the semi-functional Droid ...
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
    This almost makes me not even want to take them the phone at all. Going to the trouble to figure out how to unroot my phone then to reroot it once I get a new one that will have 2.1 installed on it. I payed $250 for the phone and I'm having a physical problem with the phone I should be able to get a new one. Anyways thanks for the help guys.
    that's why I mentioned that he'd be right where he was at currently even if they detected it if he didn't unroot correctly back to stock.. sorta see what I was saying?
    As for them voiding the contract or noting such in our accounts... they'd be morons to drop your $$$'s and they won't. Worst they'd do is make him keep his Droid, which is exactly where he was at....
    But yeah... if he takes his time and follows directions properly he'd be good to go...
    Last edited by Mbk; 05-24-2010 at 10:54 PM.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Yes, he should follow the suggestion to unroot back to stock... but he was sounding skiddish of even trying and was thinking of staying with the semi-functional Droid ...
    Worse he can do is brick the phone which would actually be the 'best thing' for him. If he takes a bricked phone in he gets a new phone no-questions asked and there is NO way for VZW to determine he was 'at fault' and deny him a replacement. lol, really no downside to him trying.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links