DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rooting mission started - few questions

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid

rooting mission started - few questions

but I quickly stopped I noticed that if I perform the ese81 root that it will completely wipe my phone of all data and I am not sure I want to do that. Not without a really good understanding of how to get it back. I am really mostly worried about pictures, videos, documents etc. The apps etc I can get back.

So what is the best way to make sure all of that data is captured and what is the easiest way to just put it back.

I did install the sprecovery and rsd lite. I was able to take a backup of my phone.

also if you dont mind I am a bit lost in all the roms, hacks etc. My main mission is to overclock and wifi hotspot tether ( I have used pdanet for years palm now droid). I have seen some really cool screen shots out there of droid setups I would not mind playing with. Although I tinker with too much other stuff and I do not see this becoming a hobby. IF there is just a wam bam package out there that has all I want to do and I can theme if I get bored please point me in that direction.

I was using this guide

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html. Completed option 3, did not start option 4.

also if you go to about phone my firmware is 2.1-update1 is this going to be a problem? It shows my kernel as 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788android-build@apa26#1
    Last edited by gpigate; 05-23-2010 at 09:14 PM.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Most of the data you're talking about is stored on the SD card, which should not be impacted by a wipe. Contacts should be synced with Google in the cloud. If you're worried about texts and that sort of stuff, there are several free apps to backup and restore SMS and MMS. If you think you'll be doing this regularly, then you might consider MyBackup Pro or Titanium Backup, to save settings, apps, and all of the above.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post
    Most of the data you're talking about is stored on the SD card, which should not be impacted by a wipe. Contacts should be synced with Google in the cloud. If you're worried about texts and that sort of stuff, there are several free apps to backup and restore SMS and MMS. If you think you'll be doing this regularly, then you might consider MyBackup Pro or Titanium Backup, to save settings, apps, and all of the above.
    that makes sense about the sd card. With one of those backup softwares I would essentially just create a data backup then restore after the 2.1 root update?
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by gpigate View Post
    that makes sense about the sd card. With one of those backup softwares I would essentially just create a data backup then restore after the 2.1 root update?
    Pretty much, but it does it at a higher level than a true data backup like you would do with Nandroid. It's a less complete backup, but much more likely to be compatible between OS versions.

I actually only use it to backup SMS/MMS and call logs. Everything else is synced to the cloud, and I dont worry about losing apps or home screen setups.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    cool thanks for the info, I guess the only other major question is this one

"also if you go to about phone my firmware is 2.1-update1 is this going to be a problem? It shows my kernel as 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788android-build@apa26#1 "

and do you recommend a rom etc? I have seen smoky glass, cyanogen, and a ton of others. again really would just like more usability with the home screen etc. I havent had much luck with home or the other apps out there, they love to FC. Big thing is overclock and wifi hotspot
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    You should be OK, just make sure you're following the 2.1 rooting instructions.

As far as a ROM, it's really personal preference. ROMs run differently on different phones. If I were you, I'd pay for the premium version of ROM Manager, so you can easily swap between the most popular ROMs and find one you like. Home screens are separate from the ROMs, so keep that in mind when you're playing around -- you can likely get any home screen launcher with any ROM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    now rooted, just have to figure out the kernel deal for wifi and setcpu
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    ok need some help again I guess. I installed everything form the first post and could not find where I could use the set cpu or the wireless tether. It is asking for a kernel change. So in one of the videos I noticed the guy installed a clockworkmod recovery thing with the rom manager. So I purchased the premium rom manager. Boy is the ota download slow. So I decided, well I should be able to get the smoked glass thing and install locally and then roll that way.

However when you boot into recovery it appears that the SPrecovery has been replaced by the clockworkmod and has different options. I could somewhat get there but then it did not show the tar.gz file on the card.

are there differences between the 2 recoveries? With the ROM manager can you only do OTA? I liked the options from Rom Manager as it lets you pick the overclock, the theme, etc

thoughts?
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpigate View Post
    ok need some help again I guess. I installed everything form the first post and could not find where I could use the set cpu or the wireless tether.
    Did you download the tether app? If not go to the market and download Wireless tether for rooted users.
    It is asking for a kernel change. So in one of the videos I noticed the guy installed a clockworkmod recovery thing with the rom manager. So I purchased the premium rom manager. Boy is the ota download slow.
    Yes, I suggest using wifi much faster
    So I decided, well I should be able to get the smoked glass thing and install locally and then roll that way.

However when you boot into recovery it appears that the SPrecovery has been replaced by the clockworkmod and has different options.

Yes, Rom Manager replaces SPR with ClockWork recovery. You can, however, flash SPR (scroll down and tap "flash alternative recovery")
    I could somewhat get there but then it did not show the tar.gz file on the card.

are there differences between the 2 recoveries?
    Basically they provide the same service. It is a matter of preference. Be careful when you make a backup. The processes are not compatible. SPR will only restore a backup made with SPR and Rom Manager will only restore a backup made with Rom Manager.
    With the ROM manager can you only do OTA?
    No, you can download a file and place on your SD card. Tap the "install rom from SD card option.
    I liked the options from Rom Manager as it lets you pick the overclock, the theme, etc

thoughts?
    Hope this helps.

Mike
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Verizon Motorola Droid
    thanks for the info. just created a backup using the rom manager. next question

is the rom from rom manager when you choose smoked glass not the same as the smoke glass rom 6.0.1? The one in that thread seems to have a lot more options than I can see. Or maybe I just dont know where to go to get to those settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links