DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to boards - NEED HELP WITH MY MOTO DROID

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

New to boards - NEED HELP WITH MY MOTO DROID

I am a new poster but a longtime reader, I have spent the last two days trying to root my droid however somewhere I have gone terribly wrong and now my phone is stuck in "softboot" I believe (droid to droid eye over and over again). I am pretty sure successfully rooted it using this method from droidmod because I had superuser permissions app in my apps, I built a backup using sprecovery and installed busybox. From there I was lost on what to do and I continued reading blogs and the forums to get the features I was looking for which was basically all of them (wifi tether, overclocking, customization and more power with my phone). I got the ROM manager and now I have clockwork instead of sprecovery when I go to my boot screen. I did not make a backup and I tried to install the ultimate droid 9 and I did it OTA and then moved it to my sdcard (on my mac), I then tried to open it through ROM manager but I don't think I did it right, I didn't change the name to update.zip and I just installed it from my sdCard

I have been thinking about rooting my phone for a long time and I finally decided to make the plunge, I have done almost everything I can short of rooting, and I wanted to root for more speed because I love having widgets and I also wanted better widgets.

I am now interested in learning this process even more thoroughly but I am scared of further damaging my phone. Ideally if there is anyone in Colorado, I could meet with to show me and help me with my phone I would more inclined to do it that way, however even anyone thinks they can help me online that would be great.

Thanks in advance

-Walter

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Well go back to recovery and do a wipe, and a factory reset..or if u have a backup just go into recovery and go to ur last backup
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    The rooting tutorials work very well as long as you pay attention to detail. Once you have your phone rooted, you can install other ROMs and the like, as well as overclock your Droid. It's pretty simple as well, doesn't take much time. Although i see where you're stuck at, rooting is safe (like i said) as long as you pay attention to detail. Also, check out some of the other information in the stickies if you haven't already, they have some very useful information on how overclocking works and the way that production of these are made, percentages and the like, it's a lot to read but very helpful information. I, myself got scared when rooting, but i did it with success and little time as well. I have mine overclocked at 1Ghz and with the right profiles your Droid will have a smooth interface.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yeah I already have it rooted, my problem was I was looking at more than one tutorial from several different sources on what to do and there are several different ways to do it and I think what I did was not compatible with the other methods.

I think what I may need to do (if it's possible) is somehow get it back to 2.01 and re root it from there. I think I might have to put the SBF on it but I am not sure.

Thanks man. Any and all help is appreciated
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahoor View Post
    Well go back to recovery and do a wipe, and a factory reset..or if u have a backup just go into recovery and go to ur last backup
    Obviously this will wipe all my data, which I can deal with, I am pretty sure I have it all backed up, but where will I be after this or what is my next step? I assume it will still be rooted or no?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    the root process is separate from the backup process. So if you flash to stock 2.0.1, you won't be rooted. However if you're flashed 2.1 rooted then just upload a ROM and you should be fine, or use your backup.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So when I wipe the Data I will either be at stock 2.01 or rooted 2.1? I was on Android 2.1 before I started the process so does that change anything?

Also I am a little concerned about the battery life, I know it will not charge in the boot screen and I dont think it charges in clockwork recovery, right now I have it in the bootloader option plugged into the wall but the light is not on next to the microUSB port. I know I need a lot of battery while I am doing this things.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Keep it plugged in until you can come to a conclusion on this. Mind you, I'm not highly advanced in this just yet, I'm advising from experience. I haven't gone from 2.1 to 2.0.1, as i rooted through 2.1 instead. I almost thought about rooting to 2.0.1 but I realized that 64-bit drivers with 32-bit software will not collaborate, therefore making me stuck. I used a 32-bit computer and accomplished a full 2.1 root that way. To answer your question however, when you do a backup i believe you'll be where you are now. rooting is a separate process from backing up. The backing up (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) is just the software OS. When you root you use an update.zip file.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So I just wiped the data and the cache and I am going through the set up now. I will let you know what system it is operating on when I get there. Thanks.

Once I get that figured out, does anyone have any recommendations on the best method to root the phone, I know there are a ton out there but if there is one that takes me through all the steps from rooting it up to installing kernals and the best way to put custom roms on the phone that would be great.
    Last edited by Walt; 05-23-2010 at 04:53 PM.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Alright I did the wipe and my phone now is running Ultimate Droid, I am letting it finish doing all of its syncing and then I will probably have more questions. I don't think I want Ultimate Droid as I have not seen much info on it. Initially I was thinking Bugless Beast or Smoked Glass or if someone has another one they recommend.

Thanks again for all the help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links