DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid hacks vs. Apple hacks

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus

Droid hacks vs. Apple hacks

My best friend is a huge iPhone fanatic, has been since the very first one came out. Further worsening the situation, he's one of the top salesmen for AT&T corporate lol. Regardless of that, I've always hated Apple, before he even got his first iPhone. So I vowed to never buy one and have been very happy with my Blackberry and more recently my Droid

In the years he's has iPhone's, hes always delved into the jailbreaking scene. I love the guy, but he's not very tech savy, so I'm 100% certain that nothing he's done to that iPhone even remotely compares to truly customizing Android ROMs and/or apps.

The thing is, I don't really know a lot about jailbreaking iPhones. I know...Apples OS is still untouchable...jailbreaking allows access to third party apps...and thats about it. So my question is, if they're not altering the OS (because its not possible), how can they change themes, wallpapers, the "AT&T" logo on the taskbar, etc? Do they develop certain parts of the OS in on their own, speculating as to what the code is and keeping the UI identical to Apple's? Do they simply make apps that change this stuff, and if so, how is that possible?

I don't know a ton about computer programming (especially phone OSs), but without being able to alter the OS in some way, I don't understand how its possible for iPhones to be customized like this?

Furthermore, why haven't I seen more options such as this for Android? I'd love to be able to put whatever I want on the unlock screen (wallpaper, widget). And It'd be cool to do some funny stuff like changing "Verizon" to "Vagina". I know you can change boot anims and get themes and have customizable unlock wallpapers/sliders...so its not that Android can't be customized. It just seems like theres a lack of customization for all those little tiny things that'd be cool. I'm sure I could go through the whole OS and find out where to change that, but I dont have 10 years to learn linux/android and go through all the code.

On that note, is there anyway to make the right slider in the unlock screen "vibrate" instead of "mute"? I almost never mute my Droid, but I put it on vibrate multiple times a day.
    HOKIE

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Smoked Glass w/White Clock ROM

Re: Droid hacks vs. Apple hacks

They access there phones via SSH to manually change things such as status icons. There are image files in the OS that can be changed. There's a app called "winterboatd" that handles all the themeing.
    I also love the fact that they get some nice and shiney app that does it all in 3clicks. We dont get that and I guarantee a lot of them would puss out if they had to start doing it our way.(adb,cmd)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Follow me on twitter,it helps improve airport security.
    www.twitter.com/ska8r411
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Pulldown Editor in the market allows you to change "verizon" to "vagina"
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Well I had an ipod touch and I was a big jailbreaker most of the things that you can do with altering the os is the "theme" witch you just change the files images and the only other thing is to get apps for free compared to the Droid and other android devices jail breaking bearly scraches the surface of android hacking.
    What under the hood
    Phone:Moto Droid
    Rom: anything Froyo
    Theme: DARK EDGE
    kernel: idk but its fast
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by ska8r411 View Post
    They access there phones via SSH to manually change things such as status icons. There are image files in the OS that can be changed. There's a app called "winterboatd" that handles all the themeing.
    I also love the fact that they get some nice and shiney app that does it all in 3clicks. We dont get that and I guarantee a lot of them would puss out if they had to start doing it our way.(adb,cmd)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    oh i see. thanx for the input.
    HOKIE
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid hacked
    Quote Originally Posted by nfcrockett View Post

haha, ha, haha, ha he said vagina
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    sweet. i just downloaded it but im running into some infinite boot problems!
    HOKIE
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid_3.0 View Post
    Well I had an ipod touch and I was a big jailbreaker most of the things that you can do with altering the os is the "theme" witch you just change the files images and the only other thing is to get apps for free compared to the Droid and other android devices jail breaking bearly scraches the surface of android hacking.
    thats what i figured
    HOKIE
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    sweet. i just downloaded it but im running into some infinite boot problems!
    It doesnt seem to be working.

I create a MM file but all thats in the folder is an XML document. So I tried a ZIP file, but in CW recovery, again, only an XML file. Is the ZIP file not stored in the theme folder?
    HOKIE

Links