DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rewriting Droid Framework for 2800mAh Battery

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member

Rewriting Droid Framework for 2800mAh Battery

I am hoping to get some help from someone who has some experience in writing framework for the Droid specificially. There is a whole thread on how the Droid doesn't read the Seidio 26 or 2800 extended batterys correctly. I have one and this is true, when the phone thinks you have 5% left you really have hours of battery life left.If you restart the phone during this period of 5% reading the battery meter will go back up to 70% and slowly work back to 5% and stay there for hours, basically we go by the MV readings so it can be a guessing game

I have started digging in the system/framework/framework-res.apk in hopes of finding a real solution. At first I thought I would just replace the battery icon .png's you know replace the 80% .png with the 100% .png and the 60% .png with the 80% and so forth, so even though the phone thinks my battery is at 60% the battery icon in the notification panel shows 80% and while it's at 80% it shows 100%

The only downfall about this is it is far from accurate, it is more of a trick for the mind than a real solution. Next I started digging in the .xml files within the system/framework/framework-res.apk/res/drawable/ and found a file called battery_charge_fill.xml and one called stat_sys_battery.xml

I wonder if these .xml files can be rewritten to read a 26 or 2800mAh extended battery, if I am even in the right files to do this, or if this is even possible

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    freeqaz
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Since Android is a portable platform not hardcoded for any one device, that seems redundant to have the battery max mAh hardcoded into the xml/frameworks. My hypothesis would be this:
    -The firmware on the phone is hard-set to report the original mAh of the original battery. Or;
    -The battery's firmware just mimics the original droids battery 'stats' to the OS to ensure compatibility.

The way I would check would be to find another third party battery pack and attempt to check that in the OS. If you get reporting errors in a similar fashion, then you can narrow down if it's the battery or the phone. Modern batteries (atleast laptops) have an I/O with the host that tells the max charge and current mAh.

Keep digging though. I'd love to be proven wrong since I've been looking into buying a new battery myself. ;]
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (ROOTED)
    Premium Member
    You can more than likely find your answer in the kernel...
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Adamz are you saying it's editable via kernel or that he will find out if it's locked via firmware/hardware in the kernel?

Links