DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will 2.2 come to rooted rom users?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

How will 2.2 come to rooted rom users?

So I rooted after the 2.1 ota update. Now that I am rooted and using custom roms (changes often but currently ud new era), what will happen when the new 2.2 update is released? Will the rom devs have to incorporate the features into new rom releases? If I was pure stock rooted would I recieve the ota update? Will we need a new sbf for a rooted 2.2? I know enough to install these roms etc, but I don't really know enough about how this all really works. Thanks

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kasch18 View Post
    So I rooted after the 2.1 ota update. Now that I am rooted and using custom roms (changes often but currently ud new era), what will happen when the new 2.2 update is released? Will the rom devs have to incorporate the features into new rom releases? If I was pure stock rooted would I recieve the ota update? Will we need a new sbf for a rooted 2.2? I know enough to install these roms etc, but I don't really know enough about how this all really works. Thanks
    It would show up the same way 2.1 showed up:
    1). A leaked development release starts getting used to build custom ROMs
    2). Over the air update is released to select audiences.
    3). Somebody grabs the update.zip and modifies it to include root (so that anybody that wants to can install it without losing root)
    4). The update gets used as a base for custom ROM images

Pretty soon everyone is making their roms out of 2.2

On the one hand, you'll be maybe a week behind the update if you don't want to update. On the other hand, most of the updates for 2.2 will probably already be in your custom rom by the time they release it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    I don't know if I could ever go back to stock after rooting my phone. I had the Motorola Droid for 5 months after I finally decided to root. After Pete's BB 1.0 with the Smoked Glass theme with a 1.0Ghz overclock..... I can wait a week or two after the official release for a BB 2.2 version. :P
  5. verian
    I'd put my money on the fact that the developers with be making 2.2 better then the ota and will probably have it sooner then everyone else. We were running 2.1 for a long time before it ever was released.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Given the amount of time it took them to push 2.1 to us...I don't know that we will ever get 2.2 except through custom roms...you may be a hair presumptuous there
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid ultimate droid v10

2.2 update

When 2.2 update is released refuse the update unless your sure your sprecovery or clockworkmod recovery will block it. Check posts before you accept it. Like they said previously it will take 1-2 weeks before most roms will be updated to 2.2. Its just a matter of time. Motorola may be trying to lock down the phone to prevent root. So be carefull on installing the update.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    The Droid will 99% likely not get 2.2 as motos next phone is coming, and my bet is well before then lol we literally just got 2.1. But yes, they would incorporate features, or as alot do, just use it as a base and go from there.
    Samsung Fascinate
    EC01 Debloated
    1.3 GHz VooDoo kernel
    Mix of themes
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    3). Somebody grabs the update.zip and modifies it to include root (so that anybody that wants to can install it without losing root)

On the one hand, you'll be maybe a week behind the update if you don't want to update. On the other hand, most of the updates for 2.2 will probably already be in your custom rom by the time they release it.
    We never got root through a modified official 2.1 ota like we did with 2.0.1, not sure where you got that info from...
    Samsung Fascinate
    EC01 Debloated
    1.3 GHz VooDoo kernel
    Mix of themes
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuzagang5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post

We never got root through a modified official 2.1 ota like we did with 2.0.1, not sure where you got that info from...
    Yes we did. Pete put out an update.zip file that gave you stock 2.1 with root access. It's right here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html
    Last edited by warrior21; 05-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid ultimate droid v10

droid 2.2

The Droid most definitely will get 2.2. Motorola is not giving up on the phone that put Android above the iPhone. I signed up with adobe to beta test the flash player. I received the 10.1 flash player for PC earlier this month and suspect android will be released in June.

Anyone have screenshots of ultimatedroid new era?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links