DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning Sd card

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Partitioning Sd card

So i noticed i have the option to partition my sd card in Rom Manager now, which from what i have read lets me install apps onto the sd card. I tried searching for a dedicated thread for this but i could not seem to find one that had all my answers, and if they did they where all scattered. So here are my questions.

1.What are the steps for partitioning your sd card and moving your apps?
    2.Will the stock class 2 sd card be sufficient enough to run apps off of?
    3.Will my apps automatically be downloaded onto the sd card from the market?
    4.Will my currently downloaded apps need to be reinstalled since some of the apps install portions of it onto the sd card?
    5.If i decide to return my sd card to normal is it possible?

Sorry for all the questions! But i think having all these questions answered in one thread would be helpful to others who are wondering the same thing. If i totally overlooked a thread that already has all this answered please post a link and delete this one please!

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for posting this! I'm curious myself.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Twitter
    @titans_df
    Phone
    Incredible
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidster163 View Post
    So i noticed i have the option to partition my sd card in Rom Manager now, which from what i have read lets me install apps onto the sd card. I tried searching for a dedicated thread for this but i could not seem to find one that had all my answers, and if they did they where all scattered. So here are my questions.

1.What are the steps for partitioning your sd card and moving your apps?
    2.Will the stock class 2 sd card be sufficient enough to run apps off of?
    3.Will my apps automatically be downloaded onto the sd card from the market?
    4.Will my currently downloaded apps need to be reinstalled since some of the apps install portions of it onto the sd card?
    5.If i decide to return my sd card to normal is it possible?

Sorry for all the questions! But i think having all these questions answered in one thread would be helpful to others who are wondering the same thing. If i totally overlooked a thread that already has all this answered please post a link and delete this one please!
    1. Well, the partitioning process will wipe all your data off, so back it up on your computer first. After that, select Partition SD card in Rom Manager. It will ask you to select an Ext (Apps2SD space) size, and a Swap (Droidswap, used for the phone to get more memory for RAM off your SD card). If you only want Apps2SD, then ignore the swap. It will format your card, then from there, you can go to settings>applications>manage applications, click on the app you want to transfer, it will say "Move" under the size of the app, click move and it will move it for you.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No

5. Don't have an answer on that. I tried to, but I believe it failed...you shouldn't worry anyway, once you go to CyanogenMod, you'll be hooked on it, and the storage size it takes up (I chose 512mb) doesn't take up much out of the 16 gb.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yes you can return your sdcard back to normal. I have paragon partition manager. But there are other ways to format your sdcard to get rid of partitions. Try searching google. Not trying to be mean I would post links but I'm at work.
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Android 2.1

Cool Rom manager

Hi titans,

Than you for your note. I have tired partitioning my Droid/root Android2.1 using RomManger. I do the following:
    click on partition sd card
    choose 512 (which is the max)
    choose 64(for swap)
    then Droid reboots to recovery and then I see message that saying: partitioning SD card.
    Droid then reboots fine but I do not have the option of moving apps to sd card using app manager in settings. Nothing changes.
    Am I missing a step or two here?
    What do you think?

P.S. 2.2 will be great!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar78 View Post
    Droid then reboots fine but I do not have the option of moving apps to sd card using app manager in settings. Nothing changes.
    Am I missing a step or two here?
    What do you think?
    The previous poster perhaps misled you. You followed the directions properly for how to repartition your SD card to allow apps2sd to work, but they neglected to mention that most roms do not have apps2sd built-in. I believe only cyanogenmod-based roms currently have apps2sd built-in, so if you aren't running that rom, apps2sd isn't going to work.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ThunderCrap lol
    It depends on what rom your running,cyanogenmod,UD new era are 2 that I know you can apps2sd.I'm running new era just for apps2sd.When bugless beast can I will run that rom.
    Last edited by shooter_454; 05-11-2010 at 03:32 PM.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon

Partitioning SD Card

Ok so I have partitioned my SD Card and used the suggested 512 settings mentioned above. I am able to move apps to the SD card, and started by moving games, utilities (non-system) and entertainment. Apps such as ROM Manager, Task Manager, etc. that are more "system" apps I have left on the internal memory. Does splitting up apps pose a challenge? When updates for an app wether internally installed or on the SD Card, will those updates follow? Just curious if there will be any issues to keep an eye on moving forward.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGreg View Post
    Ok so I have partitioned my SD Card and used the suggested 512 settings mentioned above. I am able to move apps to the SD card, and started by moving games, utilities (non-system) and entertainment. Apps such as ROM Manager, Task Manager, etc. that are more "system" apps I have left on the internal memory. Does splitting up apps pose a challenge? When updates for an app wether internally installed or on the SD Card, will those updates follow? Just curious if there will be any issues to keep an eye on moving forward.
    It doesn't matter if you don't move all your apps2sd. When an app updates it will update the app whether it is located on your ext partition or internal memory.
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogenmod 6 nightlies
    Clockwork Recovery
    cvpcs's 1.2ghz SV
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGreg View Post
    What ROM are you running? If you're just using the normal Froyo method of putting apps on the SD card, you didn't need to partition at all, jsyk.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links