DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custgm Rom for truely accessible Android.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Custgm Rom for truely accessible Android.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a truly accessible Droid rom. I am visually impaired and have simple requests when it comes to accessibility. I absolutely love the TTS engine that has been developed for the Droid, but am extremely angry that the only choice that I have for any true font customization is a BlackBerry. This seems like an extremely basic request and it seems that it keeps on getting skipped over and over again. I have tried the Apple product and OOOOOOO it has a zoom feature. I have also tried the Ipad and it also has the same OOOOOOO zoom feature. I am a business person who needs to get things done and has very little patience for afterthoughts like the Zoom feature. I am truly sick and tired of being treated like a second class citizen by developers. I would gladly pay for text enlargement functionality, but it seems like a very basic feature. One other alternative is a scalable UI so that I could change the resolution. Does anyone have any help for those like myself?
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Twitter
    @titans_df
    Phone
    Incredible
    Premium Member
    I believe that changing the font size is something that you will have to ask a developer (one of our hacking community ones)...I don't think this topic has come up yet, so I don't think anyone has an answer until they search for what controls the font size (might be as simple as the font packages, probably not though)
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by moagm316 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has come up with a truly accessible Droid rom. I am visually impaired and have simple requests when it comes to accessibility. I absolutely love the TTS engine that has been developed for the Droid, but am extremely angry that the only choice that I have for any true font customization is a BlackBerry. This seems like an extremely basic request and it seems that it keeps on getting skipped over and over again. I have tried the Apple product and OOOOOOO it has a zoom feature. I have also tried the Ipad and it also has the same OOOOOOO zoom feature. I am a business person who needs to get things done and has very little patience for afterthoughts like the Zoom feature. I am truly sick and tired of being treated like a second class citizen by developers. I would gladly pay for text enlargement functionality, but it seems like a very basic feature. One other alternative is a scalable UI so that I could change the resolution. Does anyone have any help for those like myself?
    your rooted correct?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Well lets fix this thing and finally get things right. I know tons of Blind and Low vision consumers ready and waiting for something that does not suck.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid / p3droid ROM
    One thing i would recommend, is not being angry / rude to the devs that would help, you have to realize 99% of us dont need this feature, and you cannot be offended that it wasnt already added.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by parabola View Post
    One thing i would recommend, is not being angry / rude to the devs that would help, you have to realize 99% of us dont need this feature, and you cannot be offended that it wasnt already added.
    Please do not patronize me. Have you read other forums and even those on google? There are hundreds if not thousands of post out there pleading with them to add this very basic feature. You are not understanding that it is not just Blind people that need this feature. Anyone over forty would appreciate such a feature. They are not just keeping out the disabled but an entire segement of the population to market to.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    Um i think the majority of the droid market is under 40

Its not a simple few clicks and its done, something like that would take time if it even could be done, there is only certain space allowed for text, but you wanna make the text bigger but the size for the text might not be changed.

The home screen has icons and in apps that are text heavy you can zoom. Like wtf is the problem? My dad is 55 and basically blind without his glasses but when i visit them he loves to play with my droid and has no problems

And lastly as it was said attitude. If you keep demanding and saying all these people want it then chances are the devs arn't going to care, maybe ask nicely and one will work on something. And just cause you are willing to pay for the app doesn't mean anything to them. If they even charged it would have to be less then $5 or else im sure you would fully complain and so the dev sells a few copys and makes 20 bucks, is that worth it to make someone like you happy?

Take a step back and think before you talk. Or just dont talk at all

Edit: And i just googled "droid large text" to see all your results, 2 results popped up about large font, one from oct 09 before the droid ever released and the other is from 2 days after release. I'm on basically all droid forums daily and seen one other thread, that was prob yours, complaining about wanting the large font
    Last edited by gonnadie4thegov; 05-14-2010 at 08:19 AM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    Would it be easier to have an app that followed your finger on the touch screen and magnified what ever was under it as you moved your finger along? Or it this the same "zoom" feature youre complaining about in the Iphone?

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Would it be easier to have an app that followed your finger on the touch screen and magnified what ever was under it as you moved your finger along? Or it this the same "zoom" feature youre complaining about in the Iphone?
    This is the feature that I am annoyed with. As far as the previous posters rude reply. The market will pay what the market will bare. You could charge twenty times what you were suggesting for an app that made the phone truely accessable. I am talking about a very simple thing. the abilibty to change the size of text is a feature an %99 of fully featured programming languages today. I am not neccecarily annoyed at Devs I am annoyed at GOOGLE for not putting sich a basic feature in their basic OS. You have been able to change the font size or screen resolution in operating systems since windows 3.1. The argument that "It may not be possible." does not hold water. These smart pones have more power behind them than many computers did afew years ago. I am just as annoyed with APPLE with their IPHONE OS as well. They don't consult with the disability community when they develop products. I and many other Blind/Low vision consumers would pay for such features and have a trackrecord of doing so.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I thank you very much for your suggestion. One other issue that I have is that Verizon has the accessability features locked out on the phones that they offer. What is it going to take for low vision users to be treated like any other customer. Do was have to initiate a lawsuit to get equal treatment and service from software manufacturers?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links