DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Charging/battery issue

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Unhappy Charging/battery issue

I searched the forums and didn't find an answer, so hopefully somebody knows whats up and can help me.

I'm running Adamz Smoked Glass v 6 and have been for some time. I've been rooted since root came out for the Droid, so this shouldn't be some noob mistake. One night out of the blue my phone seemed to stop charging. I noticed because it was dead in the morning despite having been plugged in with 20% battery the night before (luckily I didn't get hosed at work because the alarm didn't go off). Ever since, its been having juice issues. It still doesn't act like its drawing power from the outlet, which works, and the white dock light will come on if its plugged into the computer (which it doesnt do in the wall). The times that I do get it to turn on the battery icon will show 100% and the lock screen will say charged, yet after a few seconds of being turned on it shuts down because the battery is dead. I can only get it turned on if I mess with it (battery pulls, switching from a computer charge to a wall, etc).

The only thing that happened recently was I installed xeudoxus NFL app and updated SetCPU, but I'd think there would be a lot more people talking about this if it were related to that. I'm trying to get it to turn on long enough to boot into SPRecovery and flash an older image, but so far no dice. Thanks for any help you have!

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Sounds like the battery is borked, maybe not holding it's charge. As much as $40 sucks, try a new battery....

Or, if you have a friend, try their battery.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post
    Sounds like the battery is borked, maybe not holding it's charge. As much as $40 sucks, try a new battery....

Or, if you have a friend, try their battery.
    Thats what I was thinking, at first I thought it was the wall charger because my computer at work charged it - slowly - so I ordered a new wall charger and another battery while I was at it because one is barely enough to get through the day. At least now I'll be able to troubleshoot both.

I do have a friend with a droid, but at this point I'm thinking the battery/charger will get here before I meet up with him. Anybody else have a suggestion in the meantime?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    BIONIC
    ebay is cheap oem battery heaven
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    New battery and charger arrived and unfortunately I can report it is not a bad battery. There seems to be something wrong with the phone registering the battery/power issue incorrectly. I killed the new battery to let it recharge fully, only to have it repeat the same exact issues as the original battery was doing regardless of which charger I used. Its like the phone is only drawing power from the battery even though its charging, so the battery craps out, phone shuts off, registers its plugged in, reboots, repeats. Endlessly.

The battery indicator in the status bar shows its plugged in and charging. Googling "Droid charging issues" showed a few other people having this problem and having to swap out their phones. Apparently its a problem of a few bad phones sprinkled in the production lots?

I have plenty of other details and results from troubleshooting if anybody cares. Suffice to say that at this point the only thing it could be is the phone itself.

Links