DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rooting question from a computer-dumb user

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Rooting question from a computer-dumb user

I've read a lot about rooting and I'm definitely interested. I'm not asking "should I root" per se...I'd just like to know is this something your average joe can manage once the rooting is done? It seems that rooting isn't that difficult with some of the guides that are posted on the forums. However, I'm under the impression that you must be computer-savvy to make rooting worth your while once it's done. Is the customization you can do pretty technically deep, or are there apps to make things simple? I don't want to jump into this thinking it's all fun and then be completely lost, so I figured I'd check here first. I love some of the custom looks, and I'd really like to OC. Thanks in advance!
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Nope......I am no where near a hacker. I have a windows computer for a reason. Because it does what I want when I click the icon.
    Nuff said.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Ima copy and paste what I said earlier:

Rooting gives you superuser control to add or change things on your phone that normal users can not. A rom is sort of like a video game and the phone is the system. Anytime you put a different rom on your phone your phone will run it in that manner. Ie If someone made an eris rom then the droid would do every thing and act like an eris (a much faster eris because of it having better hardware.
    With Roms, devs take things from diffrent phones and combine them to create a better user experience. The problem is that some times different programs in the rom may not interact well causing lag or worse boot loops.
    You can also just root to add kernels to boost the speed of ypur processor (this is what overclocking does). My device is running the 2.1 ota but is overclocked to over come the lag that people experience with the official 2.1.
    You already know about wifi tethering
    There are more goodies that come from rooting your device; ie titanium backup (backs up apps and data) but rooting is not the end all solution. If you run a Rom that is a bad rom or that does not work well with your phone you may experince boot loops (where your phone keeps rebooting and), or have your phone not load past the M.
    I suggest 4 things before rooting:

1) Read, Read, Read
    2) know what you are doing before you root, do not just rely on rom manager
    3) make sure you have 50% or more battery life, as you know your battery does not go yellow in the notification bar until you are at 30%. So I suggest getting a battery widget or something to ensure you have enough battery life.
    4) Wipe data and cache when installing a new Rom.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, after checking a couple guides, maybe I'm not even smart enough to root. Seriously, I know basically nothing technical about computers.

I just want to OC and do a little customization . Maybe rooting isn't for me.
    Last edited by LMac8806; 04-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    That is why we are here to help those feel comfortable about rooting.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    The number 1 important thing is to ensure you have battery life at least 50%. I recommend a battery widget because you need to ensure you have at least 50%.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm checking the guide(s) at the top of this page, and although I'm sure they're incredibly simple they still sound complicated and completely foreign to me. Like, I couldn't even tell you if I'm supposed to have my phone plugged into PC, charging, should I download the files mentioned on the phone or PC, etc etc.

By the way, if at any point I ask a question that makes you think "this guy does NOT need to be trying to root", just tell me so LOL. I don't get my feelings hurt easily .

This all just sounds very complicated...if I have to start typing in any commands or messing around with files too much, I figure I'm into something that's over my head and usually give up :P.
    Last edited by LMac8806; 04-29-2010 at 10:43 PM.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I am going to paste some video tutorials
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotcharles747 View Post
    I am going to paste some video tutorials
    Sounds great. I'm sorry to be so much trouble. I just feel like I'm seriously missing out on the Droid's full capabilities by not being rooted.
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    By the way droidlife made them so they deserve the thanks

There are two ways to do this. You can follow it exactly like they show it but the problem is it will show petes name on the bottom.
    Or you can go the longer way and it will not show petes name.

I will show you the first method.

ideo: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

On 04.13.10, In Root (unlock), Tips, Videos, by Kellex

Less than a week after the DroidMod team ruffled some feathers with their announcement that a real 2.1 root exploit would likely never be found, they come through with a method that’s almost as easy. The process involves using RSD Lite and the flashing of an SBF file (which you might be shuttering at), but is only changing the recovery image of your phone and as far as I know, is much less risky than flashing the full 2.0.1 SBF which was previously mentioned. Let me try to explain this.
    If you go through with the process I’ve outlined below and in video, your phone will NOT be rooted, but will have SPRecovery installed instead of the stock Droid recovery. So why is this good news? Because SPRecovery will allow you to flash a 2.1 custom ROM which will give you 2.1 root access. That make sense?
    Recap: This process will NOT give you root access to 2.1, but will allow you to get there much easier than previous instructions. When we are finished, this process will give you the opportunity to flash a custom ROM which will in turn, give you root access. (Yay!) Now please read the warning.
    *Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
    Initial steps…
    1. Download the SPRecovery SBF: SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
    2. Place the file somewhere other than your desktop.
    3. DO NOT RENAME OR ATTEMPT TO UNZIP OR ANYTHING.
    Video instructions…
    Step-by-step instructions…
    1. Remember this post? Well we’re back to it only simplifying.
    2. Download your correct Motorola USB drivers and install. (32-bit) (64-bit)
    3. Download and install RSD Lite 4.6. Link to download at this post.
    4. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off.
    5. Open RSD Lite (run as administrator).
    6. Slide open your keyboard, hold up on the d-pad, then the power button for 5 seconds and release.
    Your phone should then boot to a black screen which is your bootloader.
    7. Click the … next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the SPRecover_ESE81.sbf file.
    8. Double click and open the file.
    9. Click “start” and allow the SPRecovery SBF to flash. This should not take long.
    10. Allow for your phone to reboot and for RSD Lite to show that you are 100% and completed.
    11. Close RSD Lite and disconnect your phone. You are done.
    What about root and custom ROMs?
    Your phone is now still sitting at official stock 2.1, but has SPRecovery as your recovery image. This is great news as it will allow us to install a 2.1 custom ROM with root access. If you are familiar with flashing ROMs manually in SPRecovery, go for it!

Video: Installing Stock 2.1 With Root Access

On 04.20.10, In Root (unlock), Videos, by Kellex

Last week I posted the video on how to install a custom ROM through SPRecovery and it seemed to be a success. However, there were still quire a few of you out there that like the stock Droid look and wanted an option to keep but also have root access. So here we go!
    *Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
    Instructions…
    1. Flash the SPRecovery SBF file.
    2. Download this file to your computer: ESE81update.zip
    3. Follow this video… (Give it time to process, it’s HD people.)
    *Note 1* - You will find a ton of information on overclocking and kernels at this post.
    Questions or comments? Drop them below!
    Credit: Koush for hosting the file in ROM Manager and to Pete for creating it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links