DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making SBF file ?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Making SBF file ?

Hey, guys, how to make SBF file for Droid?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    @wildmountain
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus DUH!
    I'm sorry to say, but if you are asking this question, it is way above your abilities
  3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    RAZR!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Haha, got it handed to ya by the sweetish chef! What is a SBF file for droid anyways?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    @wildmountain
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus DUH!
    SBF file is a Superbase 95 file. It is used to program a device like your droid. The sbf files for the droid will flash the intenals back to stock as if you just pulled the unit out of the manufacturers box.

Happy coding...
  5. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    OK, I finally found this post. I am doing some digging and found a program that will decompile the SBF to sub files, but beyond that, nothing useful. I do remember that there was a SPRecovery SBF for 2.1, so how did "they" make it? Its not above my abilities, but learning more never hurts.
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

Steel Droid v12.0 (GB WIP)
    RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

If you like my work, please donate!
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by chevycam94 View Post
    OK, I finally found this post. I am doing some digging and found a program that will decompile the SBF to sub files, but beyond that, nothing useful. I do remember that there was a SPRecovery SBF for 2.1, so how did "they" make it? Its not above my abilities, but learning more never hurts.
    IIRC, they split the original SBF and then hexedited the su binary and the superuser.apk into it - after that, they joined it back together.

Similar to the process for changing the power on logo from the Motorola "M" to something custom, just a bit more involved.
  7. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Since there is now a Linux based SBF flasher, presumably the structure of these files is well understood at this point -- at least from the standpoint of taking one and pumping it into a phone. It would seem that knowledge would also let someone write a tool to do the opposite -- take a phone and make an SBF of it's brains. There's a tool out there called "SBF-ReCalc" that can open an SBF file and split it into the correct pieces and then put it back together again. I don't pretend to know what to do with it, but if you want to put the time in you might be able to do something useful with it. It opens the FRG01B SBF file just fine, so in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing it would probably be useful.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    We were discussing this amongst some of the RS. Gonna keep my eye on this one and see if anyone comes up with anything good.
  9. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    We were discussing this amongst some of the RS. Gonna keep my eye on this one and see if anyone comes up with anything good.
    Because I just can't seem to put this crap down and go to bed I went ahead and used SBF-ReCalc to split the original ESD56 SBF file since I have an image file of the recovery (by itself) from that build. Lo and behold one of the files that SBF-ReCalc spit out (VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03 CG35.smg) contains the same data (on quick observation) as my image file -- just without all the extra padding on the end.

What this means to me is that, at a minimum, it should be possible to make an IMG file of the "stock recovery" from any of our SBF files and just flash it on with flash_image (assuming you're root). Assuming just a little knowledge of SBF-ReCalc can be had (which must be possible since this is a hacker tool, not something written by Motorola), then making an SBF for virtually any recovery image you have (Clockwork, etc.) so you can flash it on with RSDLite (if you're not already root) should be a breeze.

It also looks like replacing the recovery in any of the other SBF's we've got (e.g. FRG01B) might be similarly easy. I really need to sleep for at least a couple hours but I'm sure I'm going to take a stab at making an FRG01B SBF that has SPRecovery baked into it later today.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 08-17-2010 at 04:11 AM.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    I think a few of us would be interested in that. I've talked to others and as near as I can tell the sbf files come from moto. This makes sense that there is a 2.01 sbf file to reload a stock phone if some customer ended up with a glitch from an app or something.

What makes no sense to me is moto releasing a sprecovery sbf file. I hope that guy didn't get himself fired because I doubt it was an officially released item.

Likewise, the ese81 rooted stock file is also an odd release. Of course, moto may have still been making up their mind about open bootloaders at the time too. For them this rooting community may very well have been a marketing experiment to see how it went.....who knows.

It would be nice to have a 2.2 rooted stock sbf file too. If such a thing was easy, I'd think someone would have made it already, and for those trying such a thing, I wish you luck and the thanks of our community.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links