DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Making SBF file ?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoCache1 View Post
    Thank goodness for the folks who leak stuff to us. Eventually all of these device manufacturers are going to require everything to be signed using strong encryption. At that point, unless someone leaks the encryption keys, we're in big trouble. We're already seeing a taste of that with the latest Moto Droids.
    I have it from my sources that the Moto A855 will NEVER bo locked down (even though the bootloader change got me wondering, as at one time therein was going to be the lockdown) as much as the newer devices; hence the 'rumor' posted in this thread that the A855 was released to be the hacker's choice may be fact.

I took a look at the other thread this morning and afternoon and see what progress you've been making and again, good job. I MUST agree (and actually stress) with you there especailly when it comes to using the EXACT version of RSD Lite as posted in the OP/guide. We ran into that problem with the razr(s) and the Nap when people 'thought' they could use whatever version of RSD Lite they wanted and NOT the one posted. RSD Lite is VERY FINICKY!! So stick to the guns there and keep up the good work!

For me, I tried to check out SBF-recalc 1.2 and your .sbf file and forget it. I don't have the time, glad for the community that you (and others) do.
  2. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    I have it from my sources that the Moto A855 will NEVER bo locked down (even though the bootloader change got me wondering, as at one time therein was going to be the lockdown) as much as the newer devices; hence the 'rumor' posted in this thread that the A855 was released to be the hacker's choice may be fact.
    I used to think it would be impossible for them to lock down the Droid 1. I figured that as long as we had RSD Lite and our trusty SBF files, no matter what they did we could just kick it back a notch and undo it. I know better now. You probably saw my discovery about the new feature in the 2.2 OTA that attempts (in a very weak way) to keep you from permanently changing the recovery partition (you change it and the OS changes it right back). In researching (and defeating) that "feature" one of the things that I was looking at was that the boot loader version on the phone changes from 2C.6C to 2C.7C during the 2.2 OTA as well (the same time the new Flash Recovery Service gets put on). At first I thought somehow the new 2C.7C boot loader was to blame (it's not), so my first effort was to pop on an ESE81 SBF and see if the boot loader went back to 2C.6C. It doesn't. So, the boot loader is not in the SBF file -- at least it's not in the SBF file in a way that puts it in place permanently. A copy of the boot loader is in fact in the SBF file, but it is only used temporarily during the load and then tossed. Believe it or not, even though the official SBF couldn't downgrade the boot loader, I did work out a way to do it. I'm not going to say what it is because there's no point letting "them" know how I do it, but as of right now it can be done. Anyway, if they slipped a boot loader to us in another OTA that was more locked down, and if we couldn't back it out, then that could be somewhat problematic. Now why they would bother at this point is another question entirely. Whether or not they will ever try to lock it down solid I don't know. Whatever they do would have to be in rewritable memory (unlike the D2 and DX) so I think the right person could always undo it, but they could make it a lot more difficult.

I took a look at the other thread this morning and afternoon and see what progress you've been making and again, good job. I MUST agree (and actually stress) with you there especailly when it comes to using the EXACT version of RSD Lite as posted in the OP/guide. We ran into that problem with the razr(s) and the Nap when people 'thought' they could use whatever version of RSD Lite they wanted and NOT the one posted. RSD Lite is VERY FINICKY!! So stick to the guns there and keep up the good work!
    Sadly I don't think most folks really understand or appreciate the sensitive nature of what they are doing when they are mucking about with the phone's brains. When you're replacing critical areas of the system on these phones it's basically trying to replace the brain while using the brain to help with the replacing. Brain surgery requires exacting tools and exacting methods. If you deviate from the tried and true norms and methods, then you're asking to be an "exception". Honestly, sometimes our methods haven't been so great either due to lack of understanding of what exactly the tool is that we are holding in our hands. Unfortunately we can't always help it if the tool is given to us via a leak and we don't have anybody to ask questions of. The ESE81_SPRecovery.sbf is a good example. It had gotten to the point where folks routinely ignored the "ESE81" part of that and just applied it to any old OS version (and ended up in a bad situation immediately thereafter). We now know (kind of by luck that I stumbled across it when doing my psycho absorption of all things SBF) that the ESE81_SPRecovery contains (and installs) the ESE81 kernel. That's a pretty important thing to know if you're going to use the tool effectively. Again, unfortunately all of our tools don't necessarily come with manuals and we do the best we can with what we've got.

Heck, now that I know how the update.zip files and SBF files work inside and out, I take apart every single one of them before doing anything with it just to see what's in there and what it's going to do to my phone.

For me, I tried to check out SBF-recalc 1.2 and your .sbf file and forget it. I don't have the time, glad for the community that you (and others) do.
    Yeah - I don't even know if I could readily enumerate all of the technological concepts that must be completely understood to play with those SBF files, but whatever the list is, you're right, it can consume a massive amount of time. I was missing the piece about how the yaffs2 file system, and the Linux boot image/ramdisk files were constructed, torn apart, and put back together. Fortunately in an open source environment, those aren't really secrets so I could learn everything I needed about it pretty quickly. At this point I think the only files I can't slice and dice apart, modify, and put back together are things like the RAM downloader which is binary code that runs right in the CPU. I'm guessing that I won't ever need to write a new RAM downloader, so that's a limitation I can live with.

A lot of the SBF stuff is more intuition than intellect. There are lots of little clues and tests you can use to try to answer the question "what the heck is this code group for, what format is it in, and how do I play with its guts?". Once you know what it is and how it's constructed, you can rework it to make it do something new and wonderful, or stop doing something old and horrible.

Anyway, thanks for the various updates of info. from your sources. It is always interesting.
    Last edited by MotoCache1; 08-22-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Hmmm, yes as I said above, it is the bootloader where the D2 and DX are locked and they may still try doing it on the D1. Sources of inside information are not always privy to ALL the information in every part of the engineering department. Keep fighting the good fight.
  4. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Hmmm, yes as I said above, it is the bootloader where the D2 and DX are locked and they may still try doing it on the D1. Sources of inside information are not always privy to ALL the information in every part of the engineering department. Keep fighting the good fight.
    Well, they can try all they want, but they'll lock down my Droid when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

I'm never taking an OTA from them (especially not without dissecting it first), so that should keep my device safely out of Skynet's reach.

I should also say, that I will never buy a product from them that is locked down such that we can't, at a minimum, apply our own bug fixes, etc. I don't necessarily need to run full custom ROMs and such, but when they do an "upgrade" and it breaks something really important to me (like they did with Pandora), if I can't go in and edit a single line in a stupid text file to implement the fix, that just won't work for me. I'll buy a developer Nexus One (even if it costs $600) before I'll buy something I'm locked out of. If Motorola is going to stick to their guns and keep all their consumer products locked down tight from now on, then they should at least offer a single model that is open for developers, and sold to registered developers at full price (like the Nexus One is).
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    [QUOTE=MotoCache1;761680][quote=teddyearp;761410]Hmmm, yes as I said above, it is the bootloader where the D2 and DX are locked and they may still try doing it on the D1.

Please contact me, thanks.
    check your pm.
    Last edited by P3Droid; 08-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.
  6. mbm
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Strange; a lot of people talking about me and nobody talking to me.

If you want to contact me, do so directly, don't wait for me to find an obscure post on one of a dozen forums and the hundreds of subforums that go with that.
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post

If you want to contact me, do so directly, don't wait for me to find an obscure post on one of a dozen forums and the hundreds of subforums that go with that.
    Not much was said about you. Just motocache saying he found something in the sbf you made, and another member saying that dedicated hackers can modify sbfs. Maybe I am missing something here?
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

-----------------------------------
  8. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post

Hahaha. Didn't know you were here and wouldn't have known it was the same mbm even if I did. I wasn't really trying to contact you -- just leaving you a note in case you ever stumbled across it. Now that I know you're here I'm sure I'll end up shooting at least one question your way.

9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Should USB Storage work on the new, "clean" sprecovery .sbf file? I can't seem to get it to work. I posted this over in the "sbf to root/unroot", but then realized this might be a better place... sorry if not, to the watching mod eyes.

EDIT: all is well - see this post.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 08-25-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  10. Chief Droid Scientist
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Should USB Storage work on the new, "clean" sprecovery .sbf file? I can't seem to get it to work. I posted this over in the "sbf to root/unroot", but then realized this might be a better place... sorry if not, to the watching mod eyes.
    Works on mine. Did you go into "mount options" and do "Enable USB Mass Storage"?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Links