DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Any Recommendations on Novice Level Books?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Any Recommendations on Novice Level Books?

Hey guys,
    I've been trying to decide what book to get because there are so many to choose and I'm extremely indecisive so I've turned to you for answers. I've been trying to choose between:
    Amazon.com: Beginning Java™ ME Platform (Beginning from Novice to Professional) (9781430210610): Ray Rischpater: Books
    and
    Amazon.com: Beginning J2ME: From Novice to Professional, Third Edition (0689253157978): Sing Li, Jonathan Knudsen: Books
    but am more than happy to hear if anyone else would like to recommend a different book.
    I'm leaning more towards the first choice because its a newer edition, I'm not really sure what the difference is between J2ME and ME either...

Thank you
  2. dot
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    In which area are you a novice?

"Head First Java" is a good book. It will teach you the basics of OO programming and Java. I'm about 25% of the way through the book. It focuses on command line compiling and execution early in the book so you're focused on how things really work.

Buy.com has it for about $27: Head First Java : Kathy/ Bates Sierra : ISBN 9780596009205 - Buy.com

If you're already a Java/OO programmer then O'Reilly has a 12 hour video course on creating a Task Manager. Don't be underwhelmed by the description. It's very cool: Live Online Course: Developing Android Applications with Java, Part 1 - Training That one will set you back $100.

Their 2nd course is starting in a couple of weeks and sitting through it live is free: Live Online Course: Developing Android Applications with Java, Part 2 - Training

If you need help setting up your environment hop over to How to Setup Android Development Environment | Android Code Monkey

Bill M
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah I actually took a look at that course a few days ago. It looks extremely helpful, but I just dont feel like I should pay $100 for it. Thank you for the recommendations I'll check em out
  4. dot
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Lots of old-salts are big fans of the O'Reilly books. I was not one of them until I started into the Head First series. I have 3: Head First C#, Head First Java and Head First ??? forget the exact title, but it's OO related.

I just completed the 2nd 2-hour segment from their 1st course. It's good. I'm playing catch up, but it's good ...

Bill M
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Actually I just read on wikipedia that android doesnt support java2ME, so I guess I won't get either of the books I posted above lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Lots of old-salts are big fans of the O'Reilly books. I was not one of them until I started into the Head First series. I have 3: Head First C#, Head First Java and Head First ??? forget the exact title, but it's OO related.

I just completed the 2nd 2-hour segment from their 1st course. It's good. I'm playing catch up, but it's good ...

Bill M
    Okay thanks, I'm gunna take a look at those, so should I go for a book focused on Java SE or Java EE?
    Last edited by Overclockd24; 05-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
  6. dot
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    *shrugs*

I just bought a book on Java. I didn't care much about any specific flavor. I figured the key was getting familiar with the syntax and solidifying OO concepts. A language is just a language if you have the foundations.

Besides, we'll be using the Android API for the large majority everything we do.

Bill M
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah I guess your right, I already took two courses on java, maybe I should go for a book thats aimed more towards Apache-Harmony so I can start to learn all of the API's now.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Protip on learning Java: sit in on lectures at larger colleges. No one will ever notice you
  9. dot
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Good one. Never thought of that

Links