DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

1. BPB
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID classic

Works as advertised

Notes:

• RSDLite failed to flash for me on my Win7 laptop (and yes it was run as admin). Rather than trying too hard to figure out why, I tried it on my XPSP3 desktop and it worked fine.
    • The guide links to Motorola 4.2.0 drivers. I already had 4.5.0 drivers installed which worked fine
    • If installing the SDK for the first time, refer to the installation instructions link to add the TOOLS path to your environment variables path, so you can run the ADB command from anywhere without having to worry about where it is
    • Copy the su and superuser.apk files to a short path without any spaces in the folder names such as "c:\ESE81_su", and run the adb commands from there. Otherwise command may hang and never work. When it does work it happens instantly.
    • Make sure you install "Android Terminal Emulator" not the one just called "Terminal Emulator"

Success! Essentially, you can now root stock 2.1 without downgrading. This is what I was waiting for! You won't lose or need to reinstall anything at all. Kick ass.
    I second this; works as advertised! I didn't have any problems on Windows 7 Pro x64. I set the actual RDSLite.exe to run as "administrator" (right-click on the .exe file and under "Compatibility" check "run as administrator") and had no problem flashing. Also, unlike the guide says I did let the process go to 100% (no hang at 26% as mentioned in the guide) and I used the 4.2.0 x64 drivers. But, this is great! Nice to have the SPRecovery and the wifi tether enabled again with 2.1!
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    For those running VISTA, how did you get RSD Lite to run. I kept coming up with error messages. I could not get it to run. I am changing computers tonight and trying again but am really curious.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    A couple of thing I think that very easy to follow guide left out:

U might have to update the SDK. I dont know if its the drivers or everything, but update it.

Edit: I just read the notes under the guide....doh! lol

I wish I saw this guide a few days ago. The original guide didnt explain or put the adb commands up good. The person assumed anyone reading already knew how to use adb. This is a better guide .
    Last edited by jroc; 04-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Awesome

I just followed the guide and everything works perfect. Some issues I worked through, just for the ones scared to tackle this, like I was.

1. PC is a Win7 laptop.
    2. Installed 64-bit USB Moto Drivers
    3. Downloaded and installed JDK
    4. Followed guide on page one LINE BY LINE

The adb command resulted in starting dameon. Nothing happened. I closed my command window and re-opened it. Proceeded to try the commands again and they transfered. Unmounted and rebooted. Heres where I got scared. When the phone rebooted, it hung on the red boot animation. Then went blank. Made some notification sounds, buttons at the bottom of the screen lit up, then went off. Screen was just black for about a minute. I just knew is was bricked. As I was searching for "how to unbrick", it rebooted itself, and low and behold, root access!
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    I'm a newb... and this thing worked like a charm!!!!!!!!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by BPB View Post
    Notes:

• RSDLite failed to flash for me on my Win7 laptop (and yes it was run as admin). Rather than trying too hard to figure out why, I tried it on my XPSP3 desktop and it worked fine.
    • The guide links to Motorola 4.2.0 drivers. I already had 4.5.0 drivers installed which worked fine
    • If installing the SDK for the first time, refer to the installation instructions link to add the TOOLS path to your environment variables path, so you can run the ADB command from anywhere without having to worry about where it is
    • Copy the su and superuser.apk files to a short path without any spaces in the folder names such as "c:\ESE81_su", and run the adb commands from there. Otherwise command may hang and never work. When it does work it happens instantly.
    • Make sure you install "Android Terminal Emulator" not the one just called "Terminal Emulator"

Success! Essentially, you can now root stock 2.1 without downgrading. This is what I was waiting for! You won't lose or need to reinstall anything at all. Kick ass.
    I second this; works as advertised! I didn't have any problems on Windows 7 Pro x64. I set the actual RDSLite.exe to run as "administrator" (right-click on the .exe file and under "Compatibility" check "run as administrator") and had no problem flashing. Also, unlike the guide says I did let the process go to 100% (no hang at 26% as mentioned in the guide) and I used the 4.2.0 x64 drivers. But, this is great! Nice to have the SPRecovery and the wifi tether enabled again with 2.1!
    I have experienced only one minor setback so far, and that was that I couldnt get the wifi tether program to work. When I started it, it told me there was an error (kernel doesn't support something) and to check the log. The one error in the log was that it could not set up DNS rules. I tried it anyway... the adhoc connection was made but I could not get internet access.

Not a huge deal though, because I have set up PDANet for Android, which does work fine anyway, should I ever need to tether.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    ^ Would installing a different kernel solve the problem?
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    ^ Would installing a different kernel solve the problem?
    More than likely yes. There is also an app on the market called "barnacle" that can tether regardless of kernel, as long as you are rooted. Heard pretty good things about it, never used it myself.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

Finally got around to doing this last night and it worked perfectly with no issues whatsoever. Now im running Jrummy's rom with root!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

I tried not find on right click run as administrator still no luck for me

I installed RSD Lite v4.6 and I running window vista
    Im not sure if you still need help but i had the same problem with vista. what i had to do was go to computer then local disk, then program files then motorola then RSD lite then right click on SDL.exe and slect run as administrator and it will open rsd as administrator.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kmart95; 04-17-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links