DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unique problem

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Unique problem

Ok...I'm posting this in here on the advice I got from another thread which can be found here: http://www.droidforum.net/forum/newt...newthread&f=13

As I said in that thread....I am currently deployed downrange to a country that I have no service in. I ordered my Droid while I was here. I figured I could mess with it here...load the apps I want on it etc, and have it squared away when I got home. No service means I have no acess to the market area on my phone. All the iPhone users here talk about downloading apps to their iTunes on their laptops then pulling them over to their phones from there. There doesn't seem to be anything like that for the Droid.

So...I mount the Droid and start trying to load apps to it that I find online. Problem: Can't do it without some type of file management app like Astro. I look around, and find Astro on a website and download it too my laptop. But...turns out, you need a file management app, to be able to load Astro. So I'm kinda at a catch 22 now.

Guy named pyro6128 suggested that I might be able to load things to my phone thru the adb shell on my comp. Being the technologically retard that I am....I have no idea what that is. He also suggested another type of fix, and that was to root the phone and install or have a rom (or have someone make a very simple rom with nothing extra) that has astro installed on it already. Then I would have my file manager and could install any other apks I want.

Again...I'm not much of a techno-oriented guy. I typically shoot stuff and blow **** up. But, I do have a guy here that can help me. If anyone can think of a solution I'd sure appreciate it. Right now I have a very sophisticated iPod that I can watch movies on. Sure would be nice to be able to set up my apps so it'd be square when I got back to the States...

Bottom line.....How do I get apps loaded on my phone, from my laptop when the phone is in the stock configuration and I have no acess to the web with the phone?

ETA: Just in case someone thinks they can build me a ROM (or whatever its called) to fix this, I'm running 2.0.1 cause, again...can't get any service to update.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by wlscott; 04-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you can get Wi-fi access on your phone you can download the APK for Astro directly to the phone (from a site such as here: Download ASTRO File Manager 2.3.0 for Android and T-Mobile G1 ) then run it immediately from the download notification.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Sorry...I already thought of that. We have no wifi here. Shoulda mentioned that.

Along those lines...is there a device that I can order that I can plug a CAT5 internet cable into that will broadcast a wifi signal?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wlscott View Post
    Ok...I'm posting this in here on the advice I got from another thread which can be found here: http://www.droidforum.net/forum/newt...newthread&f=13

As I said in that thread....I am currently deployed downrange to a country that I have no service in. I ordered my Droid while I was here. I figured I could mess with it here...load the apps I want on it etc, and have it squared away when I got home. No service means I have no acess to the market area on my phone. All the iPhone users here talk about downloading apps to their iTunes on their laptops then pulling them over to their phones from there. There doesn't seem to be anything like that for the Droid.

So...I mount the Droid and start trying to load apps to it that I find online. Problem: Can't do it without some type of file management app like Astro. I look around, and find Astro on a website and download it too my laptop. But...turns out, you need a file management app, to be able to load Astro. So I'm kinda at a catch 22 now.

Guy named pyro6128 suggested that I might be able to load things to my phone thru the adb shell on my comp. Being the technologically retard that I am....I have no idea what that is. He also suggested another type of fix, and that was to root the phone and install or have a rom (or have someone make a very simple rom with nothing extra) that has astro installed on it already. Then I would have my file manager and could install any other apks I want.

Again...I'm not much of a techno-oriented guy. I typically shoot stuff and blow **** up. But, I do have a guy here that can help me. If anyone can think of a solution I'd sure appreciate it. Right now I have a very sophisticated iPod that I can watch movies on. Sure would be nice to be able to set up my apps so it'd be square when I got back to the States...

Bottom line.....How do I get apps loaded on my phone, from my laptop when the phone is in the stock configuration and I have no acess to the web with the phone?

ETA: Just in case someone thinks they can build me a ROM (or whatever its called) to fix this, I'm running 2.0.1 cause, again...can't get any service to update.

Thanks for listening.
    K I'ma try to help you out. First, are you Army or Marine? I'm Army.....that irrelevant though......are you Airborne?....NM! Gimme a few minutes and ima try to think up a solution to your problem.

You know you are tempted to scan my QR Code. Just do it.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Sorry...I already thought of that. We have no wifi here. Shoulda mentioned that.

Along those lines...is there a device that I can order that I can plug a CAT5 internet cable into that will broadcast a wifi signal?
    The quick answer to that question is yes, a wireless Router.
    Check here: Newegg.com - wireless router

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Cool...thx. Right now I'm trying to set up my laptop as an "ad hoc" wifi. Can't get my comp to let me set it up though for some reason. More research in the AM...

Army, 82nd.....former. I'm a contractor now bro.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Sure. If you have wired Internet you can get a $30-40 wireless router that will provide you with wireless Internet access. Depending on your situation and security precautions it might be against regulations and/or a bit of a pain to configure.

Newegg: Wireless routers
    Last edited by EtherGnat; 04-12-2010 at 04:42 PM.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Cool...thx. Right now I'm trying to set up my laptop as an "ad hoc" wifi. Can't get my comp to let me set it up though for some reason. More research in the AM...

Army, 82nd.....former. I'm a contractor now bro.
    I was in 82nd also, 2005 to 2008, 2BCT. I'm still on bragg.

From my research, the only was is to either have a file manager already installed on the phone, or use the Android SDK software to push it. Its a rather large file though. Here is the link for the SDK installation stuff, just ignore the part about screenshots unless you want to use it. How to take screenshots of the Motorola DROID - Know Your Cell

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I want to image that you can use the instructions in this guide on using SDK to push a bootanimation to and just apply the parts the are relevant to the application. However, I'm not sure if that will work, you can try it though, the most that will happen is that you are back to where you started. I would order a wireless router anyway, that will make everything much easier.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ial-noobs.html

11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I don't mean to take it off topic but I just wanted to say that you contractors get far more flack than you deserve. Thank you for fighting the good fight, both wlscott and Pokebreaker. Your sacrifices are greatly appreciated. Good luck with getting the droid to work! My advice is to ask around if anyone already has bootleg wifi running.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links