DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Java - Eclipse IDE

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Java - Eclipse IDE

I have been programming for a while... VB6 thru VB Studio 08'. I am totally new to Java. I have downloaded the Droid SDK and Eclipse IDE. I have been watching the tutorials and I have to ask... What is everyones opinion on the TDD approach? Being as I am new to Java and Eclipse it could very well be that I am missing something but to me the TDD approach seems to be a complete waste of time... it seems that you are writing your code twice for no apparent gain. Would someone mind explaining the benefits of coding in this method as opposed to just writing the code and testing it to the console? I am also assuming that Java (Excludes) has no forms etc... or visual interface therefore you have to test directly to the console? One other question is Eclipse the only or the best IDE? is there another that has visual objects such as forms and buttons?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I haven't written any kind of software in years and never used the TDD approach, but I can understand the benefits.

It would seem to me that if you're writing code around a series of tests you'll undoubtedly have broken what could be a lengthy program (function, object, etc.) into much smaller pieces.

When the code fails, and it will, you may only have a few lines to go back and re-check as opposed to several thousand.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the reply. I have spent all weekend going over tutorials and I am now beginning to understand the benefits of TDD. I also now understand about the GUI and how to incorporate them into the program for different platforms. It really seems counterintuitive when you are coming from VB but after a while it all begins to make sense.

One thing i would like to know...
    Right now I am using Javax (Swing GUI) to learn how to create "windows" GUI's and of course the objects in the Android SDK for creating Android GUI's. I was wondering is Swing one of the better frameworks for GUI development or are there better ones or, more recommended ones out there? Also what would someone recommend for a good UML?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by CJG View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have spent all weekend going over tutorials and I am now beginning to understand the benefits of TDD. I also now understand about the GUI and how to incorporate them into the program for different platforms. It really seems counterintuitive when you are coming from VB but after a while it all begins to make sense.

One thing i would like to know...
    Right now I am using Javax (Swing GUI) to learn how to create "windows" GUI's and of course the objects in the Android SDK for creating Android GUI's. I was wondering is Swing one of the better frameworks for GUI development or are there better ones or, more recommended ones out there? Also what would someone recommend for a good UML?
    No problem. Yeah, everything seems a little weird when moving forward from VB. I think you'll find java to be much more powerful.

I like swing.

Links