DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Root uh-oh...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Unhappy Root uh-oh...

I'm a big android noob but I wanted to get root on my Moto Droid. After reading thread after thread about rooting I felt pretty prepared. I even dug through this site Start Here | Root Your Droid.

I started the root process using these instructions Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid.

Everything was fine and dandy until my Droid actually began installing the file. There were two errors...
    1. E : EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
    2. E :signature verification failed

Then it says Installation aborted and that how it ends. I pressed the sleep/power key and turned on my phone.

What did I do wrong?
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriodDude View Post
    I'm a big android noob but I wanted to get root on my Moto Droid. After reading thread after thread about rooting I felt pretty prepared. I even dug through this site Start Here | Root Your Droid.

I started the root process using these instructions Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid.

Everything was fine and dandy until my Droid actually began installing the file. There were two errors...

Then it says Installation aborted and that how it ends. I pressed the sleep/power key and turned on my phone.

What did I do wrong?
    Let me first ask.....have you recieved the 2.1 OTA?
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post

What did I do wrong?
    Let me first ask.....have you recieved the 2.1 OTA?
    Yes I have. I thought that would be an issue but I wanted to give it a try anyways.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    bionic for now
    i dont think they have rooted 2.1 yet
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    you can't use the update.zip for 2.01 on 2.1 sorry, the official 2.1 has not been rooted yet, you must install a prerooted 2.1 ROM or revert back to 2.01 via SBF and then root.

for the guys who went OTA thinking they could just switch back its been a long hard road.... sucks for those guys LOL

-=Jason=-
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Is there an ETA on a 2.1 root?

=/
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
    for the guys who went OTA thinking they could just switch back its been a long hard road.... sucks for those guys LOL

-=Jason=-

lol it does suck...i jus got my fone and before i read about rooting, i read about manually updating to 2.1 so i was all excited...did the update THEN found out about rooting...so i read page after page on this forum and finally got confident enuff to flash the sbf file and revert back to 2.0.1. i then proceeded to root 2.0.1, finished up, and started messin round wit it and THEN i realize i cud of just updated to 2.1 WITH root so so i went thru the process again and figured out how to update with root...it might of been a quick process for all the techies out there but for sum 1 that only had their fone for about a week...WOWSERS...it seemed like a lifetime...
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    For right now as you all know there is no root access for the official 2.1 ota yet. There are backdoor methods to running 2.1 rooted. I am currently running it now and have the pics in my sig.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

What did I do wrong?
    I had to do this, too. Just go to the link below and follow those steps EXACTLY. If you **** it up, you WILL brick your phone, so just be patient and you'll be able to root from 2.0.1

Unbrick/Unroot your phone using an .sbf
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Is there an ETA on a 2.1 root?

=/
    There's no way to estimate. A bug needs to be found that can be exploited to allow root access. It was very fast with the original 2.0 software because there was a lot of community interest and motivation.

Because the droid (2.0) is already rooted, I can't imagine that many people are too excited about rooting 2.1. It's just not needed. Anybody that wants to root their 2.1 phone can still do it, it's just harder to do (RSDLite to revert back to 2.0.1, root, install hacked 2.1 update).
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links