DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking OTA 2.1 update kills battery life

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by lemodular View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCizzo View Post
    I don't even have the "check for updates" selection. Running Simply Stunning 3.0. I checked the OTA file and it's renamed with a .bak extension. My battery has been fine.
    You won't get the update alert because SS3 is already 2.1.
    Okay, so the folks that were having this issue were either on ESE53, ERE25, or 2.0.1 based ROM's?
    Jason

"My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has damned few virtues." -Abraham Lincoln-
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    5.0.6.2 Mod-Bekit 1.2LV-Smoked
    interesting... i wonder where I stand on this... diggin thru rootexplorer now...

What's the easiest way to tell if it's downloading in the background?
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    BB 0.9, i hit update and it downloads, then says "download complete verifying download" and then goes back to the first page that has a "download" button at the bottom. IT doesn't appear to be redownloading automatically or anything but the system updates page still shows that the update is available. I rebooted after the download finished but it didn't boot into SPRecovery. Is there anythign else I need to do, or just ignore the system updates page?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    BB 0.9, i hit update and it downloads, then says "download complete verifying download" and then goes back to the first page that has a "download" button at the bottom. IT doesn't appear to be redownloading automatically or anything but the system updates page still shows that the update is available. I rebooted after the download finished but it didn't boot into SPRecovery. Is there anythign else I need to do, or just ignore the system updates page?
    Same thing. Wondering what to do. I downloaded it, and all it did was ask to re-download....
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    czredrill and Grey Hawk, have you checked (using a root explorer) if your update.zip file (in etc/security) has been altered to .bak or even removed entirely. For the file to download it has to be named update.zip. Thats one of the checkpoints to downloading the file. Also as everyone has said before "SPRECOVERY" automatically blocks the installation of the update. DroidMod left the .zip file in its place because of SPRecovery. We stay rooted because of the trial and errors of others. Those that have proposed the "allow install" method have no reason to cause harm to anyones phone. I can confirm this method worked for me.

DroidMod v1.0
    GDE - Glass
    Hexfusion (Personally heavily modified)

Once you go hack.....You never go back.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    hey i dont see the download in /etc/security which leads me to believe it's automatically deleted? which is fine, but again the prompt to download remains in system updates. I know i can just ignore it, as its not redownloading automatically or using up my battery or anything, but is there a way to remove that prompt?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Smile

Add the attatched update.zip file to etc/security. Once done there should only be two files in security - cacerts.bks and otacerts.zip. Then go back to menu--> phone settings--> About phone --> System Updates --> download file and it should download, then ask to install. Once you get to the install option, accept it and let SPRecovery do the rest. (I only posted the step by step in the event anyone has any questions, not directed personally at you czerdrill)
    Attached Files
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcdroid View Post
    Add the attatched update.zip file to etc/security. Once done there should only be two files in security - cacerts.bks and otacerts.zip. Then go back to menu--> phone settings--> About phone --> System Updates --> download file and it should download, then ask to install. Once you get to the install option, accept it and let SPRecovery do the rest. (I only posted the step by step in the event anyone has any questions, not directed personally at you czerdrill)
    Tried this as well, still the same result. Downloads the update, and then goes back to the first screen and asks to download again. No biggie, I guess...?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    I have a question also. Say we actually want to do the download...In my system updates I have the 2.1 update with the download button now say we go back to stock no root will the file still be in system updates or will it have to be sent to my phone again?
    Also another thign my buddy got his phone last week and they put the update on there for him I flashed his phone using the sbf like many others did after they did the offical update to check it out then wanted to go back. well i figured i could do same for him i flashed and rooted then the file popped up again which said install now or later I clicked later the installed sprecovery which again file said now or later I said later then installed bb v9 and it got stuck at the moto sign. I tried to recover to his backups and all of them got stuck at moto sign so i ended up flashign again with sbf and he updated. why did that happen if sprecovery is suppose to block it and is there a way to get it to work like maybe takign his sd card out and puttign my files on his sdcard then flashing his phone with sbf and so on...still cannot find an answer to this

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcdroid View Post
    Tried this as well, still the same result. Downloads the update, and then goes back to the first screen and asks to download again. No biggie, I guess...?
    i'm in this same situation. i put the otacerts.zip into that dir and downloaded the file again. but once it finished, it just goes back to that same screen with the download button available only. i restart the phone and still same thing. my battery right now is at 5% though (because this stupid thing kept downloading all day and killed my phone!) so i'm gonna charge it a bit to get to acceptable levels and then try it again. i remember reading that the update only activates when there is at least a certain amount of battery level available? so i'm gonna try that out.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Links